> Sharp, high-pitch inconsistent sound from inside

qms_ria

Jun 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Background Info : I have a Proton Persona SE and have recently changed my exhaust system, about 2 weeks ago; changed the tensioner bearing last week;and I got new rims yesterday, changed from stock.

After changing the rims, I kept hearing a sharp, high-pitch, high frequency sound inconsistently from the back of the car while driving back. I I fear while testing the damage was caused during testing the rims. The new rims seem to work fine. But the inconsistent hissing/screeching noise did not go away.

It only shows up in bumpy roads; seems like vibration is causing it. It goes away on smoother floors like my house parking. It sounds like metal rumbling but very sharp and high pitched coming from rear right corner of the car.

I have taken it for inspection doubting my suspension or wheel system produced it but without much success. Even the shop could not detect the root cause of the noise.

It has been very frustrating not being able to identify the actual problem. And too much of that noise gives me a headache. Has anyone faced this kind of a problem before? Please do share your knowledge, opinion or experience on whatever might be the cause of this.

All your help is much appreciated. Thank you :rolleyes:

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The rims were hitting where? not tyres hitting, right?
Just a guess, what about rear disc pads, scratching the disc?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
got picture of where the rim scratched?

probably with suspension unit or worse bracke line/bracket

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
jack up the car, or better place the car in 20r4 post lift. Spin each rim and try detect the source of the noise....

qms_ria

Jun 1, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
The rims were hitting where? not tyres hitting, right?
Just a guess, what about rear disc pads, scratching the disc?
The rims were hitting the inner circle. I had the rims changed. So that problem isn't there anymore. It was the calipers hitting.

But the noise is still there after everything else has been accounted for. Currently I have a lot of gap with the calipers.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Yeah, high pitch sounds like rear discs and pads worn.
Actually there is another high-pitched sound from the brakes. It's because of new disc pads. That happens when braking. but this noise I am talking about happens with vibration of the road.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

got picture of where the rim scratched?

probably with suspension unit or worse bracke line/bracket
The rims being scratched isn't what I am concerned about anymore. The problem has been solved by the shop with new set of rims. This noise I am talking about seems totally independent of the rim issue.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

jack up the car, or better place the car in 20r4 post lift. Spin each rim and try detect the source of the noise....
I took it to my trusted mechanic shop. They lifted the car up, took it for several test drives, checked the suspensions for more than 3 hours but couldnt help me confirm a source of the noise.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
This calls for CSI mechanical unit to solve this mystery......

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
when u hear the sound, stop by the roadside & spray WD40 on your discs & pads then continue driving,
if the sound dissapears then could be something wrong with your brake pads. but remember do not drive fast.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
This calls for CSI mechanical unit to solve this mystery......
Actually yes. Last time my VR got squeaking sound from front right side, but only happen when it is hot. One day I ran the car hot until sound came, then directly went to mechanic ask him check immediately. They jack up the car, cannot find, then mechanic ask worker to put on the drive on jack where the lift the whole car with wheel on the jack. Lift the car up, then one worker keep pulling to bounce the car up and down. They found the noise coming from front left instead, the steering tie rod end worn and dried up, so when hot start to squeak....lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
check the rear brake be it disc or drum but i believe his is disc.
look for jammed brake piston.

wheel bearing could be the cause too but its suppose to be there most of the time.

some alloy rear lower arm oso produce annoying sound esp on uneven surface.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I just realised the TS said inside, last time I had issues with a squeaking internal noise with my Wira and after dismantled the rear seat bench I found it was the metal on metal at the right wheel arch area. For some reason the welding had softened or broken off or didn't have any welding there. So ended up using a lot of bitumen strips there to cover that area and problem solved.

QMS_RIA : Is the sound inside the cabin or outside?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I just realised the TS said inside, last time I had issues with a squeaking internal noise with my Wira and after dismantled the rear seat bench I found it was the metal on metal at the right wheel arch area. For some reason the welding had softened or broken off or didn't have any welding there. So ended up using a lot of bitumen strips there to cover that area and problem solved.

QMS_RIA : Is the sound inside the cabin or outside?
Can be, since he mentioned it comes only with vibration....:rolleyes:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
or try giving your silencer/cat con a knock to see if any particles has broken inside it or maybe some metal pieces
had gone into your exhaust when u recently changed it.