Hello Guest! Log in or Sign up for a full experience & ad-free!

See those Japanese drifters and hand movement on steering ?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

FVel

500 RPM
I watched that Advan Neova documentary on dailymotion.com and countless footage of Keiichi Tsuchiya, especially his Drift Bible series. I noticed a lot of Japanese drifters like to use Shifty Hands (push-pull with hands meeting at 12-6).

Tsuchiya in particular looks so relaxed with it even in the middle of a slide. If you look at this thumb and fingers, they are totally at ease. He's not grabbing the steering with a death grip but actually softly pinching the wheel with the thumb, index and middle fingers and pressing lightly with the palm of his hands. The thumb for the most part is not hooked to a wheel spoke but the thumb pad is placed on the steering in a relaxed manner.

Very nice technique. So what's your poison ?

dun understand what u mean... got video footage of it??...

POISON?.. i think u meant position..

Initiilally, i learnt the pull it and let go~~ hands off motion... which was rather easy if u had power steering... but i learned the push and pull when at the one of the drift clinic i went this year.. it was used so that no matter what happens.. i still had grip of the steering.. so that you can control the car..

"you control the car, not the car control you" said the trainer :D...

after that i tried to use push and pull but it was rather hard to kick the bad habit of letting go of the steering .. well i use push and pull when i drive on normal roads.. cos i learned that its good for defensive driving..

another technique is 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock hand position... this one is rather hard to explain.. it was mr Tengku Djan that say that should use this way... he asked me and whoever was listening to him at that time to practice in the toilet holding a precious plate and turning the plate like a steering wheel without ever letting go of the steering.

however, i have not managed to get try this technique while drifting.. cos i always focus on where i should go.. and the hands just move automatically.. i dunno what is going on unless i got video of myself handling the steering.. should be messy like hell... :p

dun understand what u mean... got video footage of it??...

Have a look at this Neova promo video (22 minutes). Most of the Japanese drifters shown are using push/pull. Look especially at Nobuteru Taniguchi.

Video drifting racer - Drift, car, battle - Dailymotion Share Your Videos

Push/Pull is quite often referred to as 'Shifty Hands' or ' Shuffle Steering'. A good explanation is here :- "How-to": Shuffle Steering [Archive] - VCMC Forums sponsored by PDM Racing

POISON?.. i think u meant position..

No, I meant 'poison'. It's an English saying :- "What's your poison?" as in "What's your preferred drink?". In this context, it means "What's your preferred technique?"

Initiilally, i learnt the pull it and let go~~ hands off motion... which was rather easy if u had power steering... but i learned the push and pull when at the one of the drift clinic i went this year.. it was used so that no matter what happens.. i still had grip of the steering.. so that you can control the car..

If you look at that Neova video I mentioned to Skywalker, you can see that most of the drivers pull/push and when the back-end of the car unloads and kicks out, they let the wheel free-spin through their palms and then re-grab the wheel again at some point. Again check out N. Taniguchi's hands.

I don't track race and I also don't drift so I'm in no position to give pro advice, so take whatever I say with some limitation. I learn push/pull by myself and use it for everyday driving because I thought it gives very good steering lock (you don't run out of lock as easily because your arms are not crossed over all the time). I'm actually so used to it, I'm actually quicker with it on tight U-turns than compared to 'hand over hand'.

The one time I cross over is when I can see the corner does not require more steering inputs (lock) and I can safely cross my hands knowing I don't need more lock to get the car turned. But if I do the push-pull properly, I end up mostly with my hands in a comfortable 3-9 position in the middle of the corner, or if not the 3-9 position, it would be at the 12-6 at the max...which is still comfortable...and you still have plenty of lock if you need to turn the wheel more. Maybe one day I make some footage of me turning the wheel....easier to explain.

another technique is 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock hand position... this one is rather hard to explain.. it was mr Tengku Djan that say that should use this way... he asked me and whoever was listening to him at that time to practice in the toilet holding a precious plate and turning the plate like a steering wheel without ever letting go of the steering.

Is this similar to what Kazama is doing ? One hand does the turning, the other (depending if it is left or right hand) is place at the 3 or 9 o'clock.

hard to understand.......sigh......see the hands movement...bengang already

Top Bottom