rear disc, big effect?

TOMEI-R

500 RPM
Jan 14, 2004
All round disc does look better. But it depends on your driving style and ways. For track racing, rear disc brakes seems to help a lot especially when u are going at top speed and then braking to go into a slower turn. It helps to hold the car in line during braking and braking is much more effective.
But some friends prefer drum brakes for autocross events because they say drum brakes work better during slow speed turns and braking.
Just my 2 cents.

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
im still yet to change rear discs... :(
have to save rm550 for GSR whole set rear...

SE86

Known Member
Nov 21, 2005
i also changed my rear drum to disc brake...but the effect was not tht much...i think is better to get a better brake booster...maybe from a bigger cc car..the effect and pedal feel is more better..at high speed braking not easy to loose control

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
TOMEI-R said:
All round disc does look better. But it depends on your driving style and ways. For track racing, rear disc brakes seems to help a lot especially when u are going at top speed and then braking to go into a slower turn. It helps to hold the car in line during braking and braking is much more effective.
But some friends prefer drum brakes for autocross events because they say drum brakes work better during slow speed turns and braking.
Just my 2 cents.
coz ebrake works best on drum brakes... i heard many face difficulties using ebrake after changing the rear to disc brakes... even parking on slopes also cannot stop...

what i heard from friend, procedure of brake upgrades;
- better brake pads
- brake pump and servo
- upgrade front rotors
- upgrade rear rotors

coz rear only takes up about 30% of overall braking performance... front is more important, 70% of the stopping power....

correct me if wrong...

xcheong

1,500 RPM
Mar 6, 2004
Visit site
like everyone said, rear disc brake gives u more efficient braking and better looks...
its best to upgrade the front disc brake to bigger one too
like evo twin pots...

don't forget to upgrade your brake servo to double layer ones.
upgrading brake servo does helps alot in braking.

get the ones from nissan. its bloody good.
i'm using front and rear evo disc brake and evo brake servo.
braking very nice.
no jamming anymore unlike my ex- 1.3 front disc and rear drum which causes me 2accident cuz of brake jam during extreme driving... ;(

those bigger brakes will only works better at high temperature.
when u goin on high speed, those bigger brakes will bite alot better. and u don't even need to slam the brake so hard to slow your car.
just a light press will do. and your car will slow down tremendously.

during normal driving, it will just feels like your stock brakes.

fzavier

Banned
Dec 4, 2005
normality78 said:
not only both of u. im totally lost here

mmmmm....me too. Im also contemplating on changing my rear drum brakes to dicsc but not sure of the improvement in stopping power. My front brakes are discs by the way. Hope someone will help see things clearly. Appreciate that!

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
fzavier said:
mmmmm....me too. Im also contemplating on changing my rear drum brakes to dicsc but not sure of the improvement in stopping power. My front brakes are discs by the way. Hope someone will help see things clearly. Appreciate that!
if like that, upgrade ur brake pump+servo first lor...
or upgrade front disc brake to bigger ones or ventilated ones...

rear brakes, remain as drums first la if u havent go for engine transplant... coz as far as i know, all cars with displacement above 1600cc must have all 4 disc brakes front and rear...

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
just a word of caution here, if you do upgrade your rear from drums to disc, please do remember to upgrade your brake booster and servo too if not you will experiance sluggish braking or the braking power is not enough due to the small size booster.

btw, im using all round disc too =) braking wise, way much better compared to drums. it bites better and stops the car in shorter distance.

in autokhana wise, i would say drums are waaaaayyy much better compared to disc(unless of course you are using a BMW cause they have drums as their e-brakes and disc as their normal brakes) cause in normal cisumstances, disc are harder to lock when using the e-brakes compared to drums... =) durms lock up real easy when using the e-brakes but is not effective when its at high operation tempretures [eg:constant braking] =)

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
When changing to discs, you need a proportioning valve, along with the master cyclinder..

Preferably from the same make of car you got the discs from, or from a 4 disc version of your car (sorry, this applies to hondas, but dunno about your make, I think they call it with the same name). What it does is split the pressure to the front and the rear brake calipers to provide uniform braking.

It works something like a front/rear brake bias controller, except it's non adjustable.

If you use the stock proportioning valve from your car that has drums, your rear brakes may actually activate first, causing rear end skidding and reducing braking performance overall, since a drum needs a different amount of pressure to provide the same amount of braking. And brake modulation will probably be an issue as well.

Last edited:

TOMEI-R

500 RPM
Jan 14, 2004
Couldnt agree better with Gavan. Drums work wayyyyy better in Autokhana and Autocross evens. Much easier to do handbrake turns.

jswong

Known Member
Dec 30, 2004
I'm driving Wira aeroback 1.5, and I changed the front and rear to Wira 1.6/1.8 disc brakes. Initially, I was losing braking power because the stock servo wasn't supplying enough pressure to the calipers.

After putting in a VR4 double layer brake servo.. my gosh, what a big diffference it made. Furthermore, when taking a tight sweeping turn, rear discs DO make a difference... you can feel that push-pull sensation (hard to describe) rather than the car diving forward as it did previously. Certainly can sweep a corner better and faster with rear discs.. feels more sure-footed.

narx

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
SkYwAlKeR said:
coz ebrake works best on drum brakes... i heard many face difficulties using ebrake after changing the rear to disc brakes... even parking on slopes also cannot stop...

what i heard from friend, procedure of brake upgrades;
- better brake pads
- brake pump and servo
- upgrade front rotors
- upgrade rear rotors

coz rear only takes up about 30% of overall braking performance... front is more important, 70% of the stopping power....

correct me if wrong...
dont forget the brake bias valve. It creates the front and rear distribution correctly. or else u`ll screw up your brake distribution which might lead to accidents or spin outs

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
doppelganger said:
bump :D

i drive a wira 1.3. wanna change front discs only. wat model would be suitable? should i change the pump & servo? wat would the cost be for servo+pump+disc+pads?
mayb u can get wira 1.6L for set front and rear... if u want more extreme, get GSR or EVO brakes lor...:regular_smile:

narx said:
dont forget the brake bias valve. It creates the front and rear distribution correctly. or else u`ll screw up your brake distribution which might lead to accidents or spin outs
brake bias valve??.... where is it located??... expensive??...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just came back from genting yumcha , there's a roadblock once exit Karak into GH intersection , apparently stopping all tinted cars , modded cars not sure as went up with a waja ... anyone kena ?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience