[problem] my ej_de bolt-on isseu..

beyond_4896

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
currently using L5 kit boost at 0.9 1 bar like tat.

then..... edi change the fuel pump n injector...
piston skim edi...

using EMS MT4.

when tarik rpm till high... abt 5/6K like that..
will keluar sikit bunyi macam besi ketuk besi...

how come like that....

SePaT

1,000 RPM
Jan 8, 2004
knocking ..

check ur ignition setting.. i think laa..

beyond_4896

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
AF i not sure. The tuner set to me.

Rich fuel can settle knocking?

xerofighter

Not so senior member
Mar 2, 2004
Subang
erm..ideally, you dont want it to be rich nor lean. but its always safer to be on the rich side then to be on the lean side. im no expert, so i might be wrong. maybe someone here can help you solve it. good luck

simonkho79

Apr 15, 2005
okay, I am also a bolt on owner. U need to retard a bit timing if possible if u are not stacking 2 layers and above of head gaskets. (usually not much people know how to mechanically retard timing for a "distributorless" ignition system like EJ-DE, my mech did it i dont know what and how he did)

my case the same, when rev unti 5k rpm will got karak karak sound, that sound isnot good, dont try it every time!

U changed the fuel pump and injector that is fine, but did you add a fuel regulator and custom made a fuel return line? That is importatnt also. Because for my case, i did that, and can rev until 6k rpm. But "soemtimes" still got a bit knocking, depend you "heng" or "soi" only lo.

I planning to stack up my head gasket and change clutch soon la. Clutch slip like hell.... boost 0.4 only.

simonkho79

Apr 15, 2005
beyond_4896 said:
AF i not sure. The tuner set to me.

Rich fuel can settle knocking?
Mine rich until AF Meter show last LED still knocking ah, and then engine feel heavy because too much fuel, and your boost will be soft too, like no power.

The most important still because of 4 factors:
1. Ign Timing
2. Fuel Supply
3. Compression
4. The hot air that the turbine draws

beyond_4896

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
simonkho79 said:
okay, I am also a bolt on owner. U need to retard a bit timing if possible if u are not stacking 2 layers and above of head gaskets. (usually not much people know how to mechanically retard timing for a "distributorless" ignition system like EJ-DE, my mech did it i dont know what and how he did)

my case the same, when rev unti 5k rpm will got karak karak sound, that sound isnot good, dont try it every time!

U changed the fuel pump and injector that is fine, but did you add a fuel regulator and custom made a fuel return line? That is importatnt also. Because for my case, i did that, and can rev until 6k rpm. But "soemtimes" still got a bit knocking, depend you "heng" or "soi" only lo.

I planning to stack up my head gasket and change clutch soon la. Clutch slip like hell.... boost 0.4 only.
wa,finnaly meet same case ppl.

OKie, 1st...
My mechanic tuner retard my timing oledi when tuning the mt4. (but still got the sound.)
2nd , my one can rev till 6K everytime no problem. ( juz karak karak like tat).

Last edited:

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
"Karak-karak" sound? sound like very serious knocking

Retarding ignition? how? By manually adjusting the distributor degree?

Adjusting manually will retard the ignition all across the rev range. Therefore, even low rev ignition will be affected.

Thus, for the sake of revving higher, you are losing previous useable power in the mid and low revs.

beyond_4896

Known Member
Oct 21, 2005
yalo, example ej de retard. i really dunno how he do. joker u know?

then for me no point to rev higher, L5 turbo only. 5K oledy no point.

simonkho79

Apr 15, 2005
Beyond,

But then mine can also rev until 6k rpm. But if got karak sound then will make me scared eh.

Because last time after i installed fuel return line and higher fuel pump i can rev happily to 6k rpm with no karak sound.

If keep revving to 6k with karak sound from 5k rpm onwards, will scared eh. U not scared ah?????

Now need wait new triniti clutch and stack triple layer head gasket, hope will further solve the intermittent karak sound problem.

simonkho79

Apr 15, 2005
beyond_4896 said:
then y now tk away the fuel return line liao a ?
Oh, no la, I still using the fuel return line. Last time used to rev happily because got fuel return line + "fuel pump". And then not long ago the "fuel pump" malfunctioned. And then changed a new one. Maybe the new one not as high pressure as the previous one. Because all get from chop shop ma. :_:

But now cannot say anything as now cannot full boost la man. Clutch slip crazy. Waiting new clutch to arrive and replace it. Then after run in will test rev to 6k rpm again. Need to tune fuel again. To confirm if it is really the fuel pump not as strong as before. :embaressed_smile:

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
microtech mt4 ? as far as i know mt4 can only control fuel.

and if u still use stock kelisa ecu and MAP sensor..ur map sensor can;t read boost, that's why got pinging. i think ur mech can;'t retard timing la bro if u dun use any ignition controller.

IMO, u can;t do much if u still use ur stock MAP sensor and ecu

simonkho79

Apr 15, 2005
There is a way to prevent the MAP sensor to "see boost", I did it to my ECU. Need to buy something and tap on la. :D So now my ECU always see NA map signal.

Ignition Timing, my mech "did it" and the timing really retarded (his secret weapon, and he did not let me know) :( But like what was posted previously, the ENTIRE RPM RANGE icnluding low RPM will be less torque and power and wait boost to kick in to help up a bit torque.

Now ign timing put back up higher a bit. Drivability is much much more ok.