Pro and Cons Of Auto & Manual Cars - Open Discussion

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
yes, auto cars do haf a slow reaction in term of response.
so the key here is to know how to control the reaction with the throttle pedal.

last weekend i test drive the new proton preve cfe (the turbo version).
the initial step on the pedal can feel it is quite slow, harder to move.
heard proton do that to ensure their car pass the emission test for europe market. :hmmmm:

i even tried doin the 0-100 test using my phone stopwatch.around 11.9sec.cause the initial movement was very slow.
but the 7 speed gearbox was quite interesting.
when on auto, the transmission changing gear was not noticeable at all.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

heard proton do that to ensure their car pass the emission test for europe market. :hmmmm:

i even tried doin the 0-100 test using my phone stopwatch.around 11.9sec.cause the initial movement was very slow.
Gear change not noticeable could be because its a CVT gearbox (Continuosly Variable Transmission)

Recently Merz had 5 speed auto, then Honda Accord had 6 speed, now Preve got 7 speed?

Wow! very soon we may have 10 speed !? :adore:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

My understanding of the new Preve is you need to rev the guts out of the car to get any decent performance. If you launched at a higher rpm to get the torque to come in earlier would it have affected 0-100 times?

Aiya, CVT isn't a strong gearbox system. I wouldn't recommend thrashing a CVT gearbox mainly because of a belt inside the GB itself. Any belt driven system isn't going to be very durable in terms of hard thrashing. Only good thing about CVT imho is the seamless transmission changes and the excellent fuel economy.

Torque convertors are the way to go! But unfortunately too much power robbed by the whole thing. But if not mistaken modern torque convertors (or those based on the same tech) are much more efficient.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My understanding of the new Preve is you need to rev the guts out of the car to get any decent performance. If you launched at a higher rpm to get the torque to come in earlier would it have affected 0-100 times?

Aiya, CVT isn't a strong gearbox system. I wouldn't recommend thrashing a CVT gearbox mainly because of a belt inside the GB itself. Any belt driven system isn't going to be very durable in terms of hard thrashing. Only good thing about CVT imho is the seamless transmission changes and the excellent fuel economy.

Torque convertors are the way to go! But unfortunately too much power robbed by the whole thing. But if not mistaken modern torque convertors (or those based on the same tech) are much more efficient.
Have not driven one, but I thought they have same turbo engine of the Exora, and since smaller thought they were more powerful....:hmmmm:

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006

haf to agree not to thrash a cvt gearbox.
but i also feel need to launch at a higher rpm to get a good momentum for the 0-100 timing.
just trying it out to see if it lives up to wat proton claims.less than 9sec if i m not wrong.
myb i was too soft on the pedal...

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
To compensate the different between auto and manual (except dual clutch system)

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Can somebody tell me the piston size for 4g91, 4g92 sohc, dohc,mivec, 4g93. Is it possible to rebore 4g91 block to fit in 4g93 piston? Any side effect or other parts need to change? Really appreciate u guys help
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience