Polymer Sealant VS wax?

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
Hi guys,

Anyone here tried out perma glass' polymer sealant(platinum)?? I've tried it out on my car (black honda city) and it's great. managed to cover fine scratches effectively.

However, it is very very hard to buff off. I tried applying less sealant but the effect is not so good. Any chance to overcome that problem? Perhaps trying out with proper cloth like meguairs terry towel?

And also, which one lasts longer? perma glass claims that their polymer sealant can last up to 6 months, but on my car, it took only 2 months before the scratches resurface again :( I've seen meguairs scratchX in shopping centres before and the introduction on the bottles claim it can remove the scratches once and for all. However, my concern is that will it remove a lot of paint away from my honda city which already has a very thin coat of paint?

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
Actually, ALL waxes and paint sealants, (whatever you want to call them), pretty much do the same thing if they actually work. By this we mean the job of a wax or paint sealant is to coat over the surface and leave itself behind. Then when something lands on the paint that's harful, before it can harm the actual paint at has to first harm or remove or get by the wax or paint sealant.
Differences tend to be in appearance, protection, longevity, cleaning ability or non-cleaning ability. Usually the best thing to do is to do a little research and they buy a wax or two and see how you like it on your car.

but if ur comparing to pure waxes like carnauba wax. then the difference is the cleaning ability as pure waxes like carnauba wax has no cleaning agents/abilities.

for me, i use Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant. works really great on my car. as a matter of fact, all the cars in my house use Meguiar's #20 polymer sealant.

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
yea, i know it's for protection, but since it needs a lot of elbow grease to put it on and off, i think it's worthwhile to know that which can last longer so that i dun have to do the hardwork very often.

i'll try out meguairs' product soon. then see which one is better. but for now, the polymer sealant is doing quite a good job, can really see the water beads after the rain.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
yeah u need to try and see which one works best on ur car. for example, i've asked Meguiar's which of their synthetic wax last the longest. they said it was NXT Tech Wax. but on my car, i find that Meg's polymer sealant last longer than NXT tech Wax. furthermore Meg's polymer sealant is slightly more expensive than NXT tech wax. but NXT tech wax gives me better depth and gloss.

2 layers of Meg's polymer sealant can last me around 1 month plus. 2 layers of nxt tech wax can last me around 2-3 weeks.

personally i've nvr tried pg polymer sealant, so really cannot comment on it. but lately i've been quite hardworking so its 1 layer of Meg's NXT Tech Wax every week :P bling bling!

Zal_boyX

Oct 22, 2005
hi...

i saw Meguiar's wax product at Eneos Kepong selling at RM88.00....

who did try it before?

is this NXT Generation Tech Wax u people mentioned???
where to get this since not selling at Eneos......:)

LanEVOchris

Known Member
Feb 20, 2007
Perma Glass Polymer Sealant is by far the cheapest yet good quality sealant. I've been using it for a year now for 4 cars in my house and it only requires to be applied every once a month eventhough it rains so often. And somemore now Eneos is having a promotion, for the big bottle, RM24.90 (ori price RM33.90) and comes with the special cloth for applying. Tried Turtle Wax and Meguiars before that, too costly and needs to be applied often.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
hi...

i saw Meguiar's wax product at Eneos Kepong selling at RM88.00....

who did try it before?

is this NXT Generation Tech Wax u people mentioned???
where to get this since not selling at Eneos......:)
hey zal, i've not tried the gold class wax before. but i've heard lotsa good reviews abt it. and yes, thats the NXT tech wax i mentioned.

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
Perma Glass Polymer Sealant is by far the cheapest yet good quality sealant. I've been using it for a year now for 4 cars in my house and it only requires to be applied every once a month eventhough it rains so often. And somemore now Eneos is having a promotion, for the big bottle, RM24.90 (ori price RM33.90) and comes with the special cloth for applying. Tried Turtle Wax and Meguiars before that, too costly and needs to be applied often.
hey, care to tell us which meguair's product doesn't last long?? there are so many to choose, damn, i spent 20 mins standing in front of the rack reading stickers on meguair's wax, bottle by bottle. damn. NXT la, gold class la, polymer sealant, then carnauba wax summore.. in the end, din buy, coz dunno which one suits my car most

Vagabond

1,500 RPM
Mar 1, 2007
I'm looking for a wax with the 3 criteria's below:

1) To be applied only once a month.... or longer.
2) Very shiny, compliments black cars.
3) Can withstand multiple washes without having to rewax.

Any suggestions?

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
I'm looking for a wax with the 3 criteria's below:

1) To be applied only once a month.... or longer.
2) Very shiny, compliments black cars.
3) Can withstand multiple washes without having to rewax.

Any suggestions?
try perma glass' polymer sealant mate, it lasts around a month, and the water beading effect is still there after a couple of washes ( 4~5) but at the end of the month, those fine scratches on my car will resurface again.

so i bought meguair's scratchX to cure the scratches. will try it this weekend.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
hey, care to tell us which meguair's product doesn't last long?? there are so many to choose, damn, i spent 20 mins standing in front of the rack reading stickers on meguair's wax, bottle by bottle. damn. NXT la, gold class la, polymer sealant, then carnauba wax summore.. in the end, din buy, coz dunno which one suits my car most

heehe sterling i have to agree with you. meguiar's has such a wide range of products sometimes u can go crazy choosing which one is best for ur car. as for ur scratchX....make sure u use abit of elbow grease while applying......it'll be able to remove fine scratches and swirl marks. but for those deep cuts u'd have to go for more abrasive polishes and that is best left to the pro's at detailing shops.

as for waxes and car colour...to be honest..as long as the wax is good...it'll look nice on any car colour. why? reason is because the layer that you are applying the wax on is actually the clear coat...the clear coat is the layer that ur actually working on, not ur black colour basecoat or wat ever colour basecoat ur car is. so beware of those products that claims they're made specially for an zua an zua colour. its not logical. unless ur working on single stage paint, then its a different story. but i doubt any car today has a single stage paint.

sebastian2hot

Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
um...i think wax or sealant made by polymer will last longer compare to carnauba

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
definitely synthetic will last longer than carnauba.....but carnauba gives the kinda gloss and depth that synthetic waxes cannot produce.

so depends on ur wants and needs lor. for me, i put carnauba on top of synthetic wax.

aye2502

Jul 5, 2005
BBB
as for ur scratchX....make sure u use abit of elbow grease while applying......it'll be able to remove fine scratches and swirl marks.
Can you explain abit about this ?

what is elbow grease .. where can I get it.

do I apply on top of scracth X ? or before applyign scratch x ?

whats the benefits ?

one other thing can I apply scract x using the orbital polisher by black & decker ?

or would it just add more harm ?

thanks

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As the topic title states. How would E-vent/E-kool perform as compared to a tint of the same price range? The E-Vent is priced at RM388 + RM50 install last time i checked. Feedback and comments appreciated. :D
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience