Painting procedure

Muz

Known Member
Oct 25, 2004
Hi any sifu want to clarify on this? What is the step by step procedure to repaint the whole car or a section of the body.

From what I know this is the process...right or not not sure :(

1) anti-rust
2) primer
3) actual paint (how many layers usually)
4) Clearcoat (is this required? or not necessary?)
5) Rubbing compound (Once again dunno if this is required or not and if you got to apply on the paint before the clearcoat to smooth out the paintjob)
6) Polishing (any particular type of polish?)
7) Wax

Any feedback is appreciated...to get the car to a gleaming finish :)

goslow

Known Member
Jun 21, 2004
russia
i think that's abt it but i can say for sure that i havent come across any respray shops that does all the procedures.

NiCkY7

500 RPM
Dec 27, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by goslow@Jan 27 2005, 23:16
i think that's abt it but i can say for sure that i havent come across any respray shops that does all the procedures.
ya agree...

some of the shop skip some steps... that's y last time my paint gone in 1++ years... <_<

btw, Muz u plan to DIY spray ur car? :blink:

:P

3gciviczc

Known Member
Dec 31, 2003
Kajang;Selangor
Visit site
me too, don't think any shopwill follow through with that procedures.
Cheersssssss....... :D :D :lol: :lol:

tajulsans

1,000 RPM
Jul 31, 2004
Soo Bang
To properly spray a car.. basicly not only what needs to be done.. but also how it is done.. best is painting in heated paint booth due to:

1. reduce exposure to dust
2. forced dry, better painting quality..

Muz

Known Member
Oct 25, 2004
Originally posted by NiCkY7+Jan 28 2005, 00:20 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NiCkY7 @ Jan 28 2005, 00:20 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-goslow@Jan 27 2005, 23:16
ya agree...

some of the shop skip some steps... that's y last time my paint gone in 1++ years... <_<

btw, Muz u plan to DIY spray ur car? :blink:

:P [/b][/quote]
:lol: no laaaa...not tht car....thinking of touching up my proton :)

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
i usually use RM4 cheapo spray only...

my tips is :
- the thing is not to spray thick thick layer
- the secret is to spray very thin layer, and spray many layer. must wait the previous later dry first only spray.
- must clean the thing u wan to spray.

this is what i usually do lor.. the easy way... :P

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
I'd spent many many hours in car painting shop and try to learn the techniques. The ways shall depend on what you are painting on and also the condition of your car you want to touch up.

1. No matter what you want to spray on, you need to use sand paper with some water and sand down the surface to as flat as possible. If you found any inperfection, just use putty, then sand again to as flat possible.

2.Let say you are spraying one part, sand the area you want to spray, sand even wider than the area. You will know why later.

3. If there are a lot of areas that are applied with putty, then you will need to spray a premier coat. Wait for it to dry.

4. The fun part, mix the paint with thinner with ratio around 2:3, roughly! Start spraying, dont spray too thick, as long as it covers to colour of the premier coating then it's ok. Always use the correct tools such as spray gun and air compressor, as using these tools you paint dry faster, even in few seconds.

5. The clear coat, also mix with thinner with the correct ratio. Spray only on the area you painted just now. Before i mentioned to sand a wider area, dont spray that area.

6. Now, spray with thinner, yes, thinner, spray the area that you sanded, in step 2, the reason is to let the new paint mix with the existing paint as smooth as possible. This is the reason for step 2.

7. After drying, it will look like the surface is rough and wavevy, dont worry. Apply the Paste Compound and polish it for around 2-3 times to get the smoothest results.

8. Polish with Cut Polishing wax, you can get this in normal shop, but for better results, use the Meguiar's brand for optimum results, cost around Rm80 for a bottle but worth the money.

ezwong2002

Known Member
Mar 21, 2004
Butterworth, Penang
www.geocities.com
u pay for what u get.. that is what i can say... if u pay premium price.. expect premium quality.. i always ask for any kind of touchup (FOC) if they screw up in the initial paint job... if not.. touchup also they charge.. we die faster.

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
putty can easily find in hardware shop....

if u wan better result, find 'fibre' putty

cham2020

1,000 RPM
Jul 22, 2004
Originally posted by goslow@Jan 27 2005, 23:16
the spray shop i went had all the procedures !

that's why the car sprayed by the shop lasted very long time ;)

a car after 3 years, still maintain the shining glossy paint look...
high quality paint used.....

goslow

Known Member
Jun 21, 2004
russia
where is that??if they really do all that i oso want my car to be done there..unless the price is #!#& then cannotla

sam1741

1,000 RPM
Dec 18, 2004
Originally posted by cham2020+Jan 30 2005, 22:50 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cham2020 @ Jan 30 2005, 22:50 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-goslow@Jan 27 2005, 23:16
the spray shop i went had all the procedures !

that's why the car sprayed by the shop lasted very long time ;)

a car after 3 years, still maintain the shining glossy paint look...
high quality paint used..... [/b][/quote]
hi.....

how muc it cost for u to spray the car? (solid paint)

can recommend me the shop ar? (PM me?)

cham2020

1,000 RPM
Jul 22, 2004
first :
you don't go there with rust...he will halau you.... kautim all those dents and so on.....
then put ur car there...
start simen ur car.....
gosok rata rata..
simen lagi if not rata.....
then use the white simen ( dunnoe wats that ) and simen and gosok...
then wash the whole car with water.... ( sambil gosok )
let it dry....
see mana tak rata...simen lagi...
gosok...
masuk bilik spray
spray the whole white color thing..
then spray one nipis layer of color...( the color ur choose )
then mana tak rata..simen lagi. ( white one )
then spray ( real layer )
gosok....first( for letting it tahan )
clear coat and polish
spray under carrriage tar
wash the car kao kao...
wax
fix the parts.. ( spend RM 300 + on damage parts )

don't worry about the bumpers..the paint will not chirp off.the shop sprays a kind of chemical substance so that the paint stays there...

but of course there are some minor flaws that can't be ignored lar....
so parts tak berapa rata but overall damn puas hati...cause normally when u see the car from an angle...the reflection sucks...his shop one very nice....

and don't ask him to use cheap paint...sure kena bang kau kau....cause that shop handles autoshow competition cars !

spraying cost RM 1500 to 1000

cham2020

1,000 RPM
Jul 22, 2004
if you change color
don't worry
the shop will strip the whole car.including seats so that they can spray
and the doors panels inside also will be sprayed....
some parts will have the original color ( the parts where like the proton sticker code ) but overall the best man.....

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cham2020/alb...m/ph//my_photos

there are some photos missing cause you can't expect me to go there everyday kacau ppl workin

the paint was sprayed by the BOSS personally.....his son is working at the spray department at hyundai corp..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

what you guys usually change in your car? drifter? my frenz can export a lotz of performance part from japan with cheap price, can all sifu sifu teach me what is usually changed for drifter?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience