Next gen MX-5 to shave the poundage

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Although the Mazda MX-5 has packed on some pounds since its first model that debuted at just under a ton, the weight gain is slowly eating into its core function as a simple and no-frills roadster that could be chucked around bends for thrills.

Now in its third generation, the nimble little roadster still clocks in at under 1.1-ton but the next generation, scheduled to arrive in 2012, is going to be put on a strict diet by Mazda to return it to the scant ton mark and bring back some of its original handling prowess.

While it might be just a few kilos on the heavier side compared with the first generation NA model, the key 50-50 weight distribution will remain to maintain the famed balance of the roadster.

Part of the weight-loss equation is the use of Mazda’s Sky-G engines that the company claims will improve fuel efficiency by 15 per cent while eturning higher power outputs over older engines. Mazda has even gone so far as to predict that the next-gen MX-5 will return mileage in the region of 21km/liter, something that is still followed by a gasp in these times.

Source: Autocar

Attachments

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
looking foward to see the results....

wonder what would they do to the chasis/equipment to reduce the weight....

am_izham

Known Member
Oct 17, 2004
Kota Bharu
Visit site
i guess they'll achieve it with extensive use of light alloy metals and composite materials.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I bought turtle wax to triy to wax my bro wira se, today i tried it on the front(bonet), i washed it with dish wash liquid to get rid of previous wax(previous owner done) n dirt, then i wash again with turtle car wash then i wax it..

the problem comes... there is a layer on the car after i waxed it.. i believe it is the wax thing, yeah it does remove the swirls.. but no matter how i buff it.. the layer wun go away instead of a shining later... so u'll see the circular waxing layer...

how...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience