Newbie Question: How to calculate Cu.ft Enclosure?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

icecube

500 RPM
Ermm.. Was thinkin of making some enclosure for coming 12" sub ..... I always see members saying 1.3cu.ft ...and 0.9cu.ft ... for enclosure, how to calcuate and do we need to take into consideration about the sub watts,ohm, amp, wire, innerly or external size? thickness of wood?

thanks... need sifu to teach... still learning... :(

actually there hardly anyway u can DIY it coz u need a software 2 calcualte 4 u...n also...try looking 4 ur sub spec...diff sub woofer recon diff enclosure size....4 example kicker comp vr...they recon 1.75-2.25cu.ft 4 ported....2.25 is very big....

You measuer the internal diameter. SO for a 1 cu/fty box its can be 12" x 12" x 12"= 1728 cu in...

so if ur box is 10"x14"x18" = 2520cu in = 2520/1728=1.45 cu ft box

Originally posted by Bert@Feb 13 2005, 21:15
You measuer the internal diameter. SO for a 1 cu/fty box its can be 12" x 12" x 12"= 1728 cu in...

so if ur box is 10"x14"x18" = 2520cu in = 2520/1728=1.45 cu ft box
thankss... this is wat i look for actually...
but i cant find my sub spec.... headache.... <_<

you forgot the basic question of building a sub box.

1.Do you want a sealed or ported enclosures?
2. What tuning frequency would you like to have?
3. For ported enclosures, how big will the port be (vented or round)
4. What kind of wood would you use (plywood, MDF (3/4: or 1")
5. How much power will you feed it?

if you have the answer for these question then you can download WinIsd for box calcualtion. Happy DIY dude.

ps: oh yeah, the box will vary with the sub spec and also Qtc. The lower Qtc the lower you bass would be.

Originally posted by appleyard@Feb 13 2005, 23:53
you forgot the basic question of building a sub box.

1.Do you want a sealed or ported enclosures?
I heard ported enclosure are better. I think i'll go for ported.
2. What tuning frequency would you like to have?
Newbie here , what does tuning frequency mean?
3. For ported enclosures, how big will the port be (vented or round)
Sorry but vented and round got wat different?
4. What kind of wood would you use (plywood, MDF (3/4: or 1")
Can i use some sort of like thick plastic (aryclic if that what they call it ?)
5. How much power will you feed it?
Feed the sub? its for SPL so as much as the sub can handle... 300w?

if you have the answer for these question then you can download WinIsd for box calcualtion. Happy DIY dude.
I'll run a google on that ,thanks...
ps: oh yeah, the box will vary with the sub spec and also Qtc. The lower Qtc the lower you bass would be.
What is Qtc? Lower bass = tighter bass?
In bold above.

if u r into spl...then ported is just right 4 ur....wat u wan is loud...so make the enclosure as big as possible...
like appleyard tucking his 4.5cu.ft enclosure in his kembara....
how i wish my car nonit 2 take so much of stuff n can have tat huge enclosure in my boot...hehee

ice cube....
wats ur budget 4 the woofer...the brand Shiva is ok....a very sufficient sub which u can power wit mere amount of power...or u can get kicker sub also...theres many other brand but u r the 1 to judge which is best 4 u n ur pocket...

ok if you are into SPL and will feed 300w (RMS hopefully) you should build a ported box.

Vented - square port
round - PVC port

Bigger port = loud as hell

Next is Tuning freq. - For SPL maybe tune to 45-60 hz.
(need sub spec for tuning).

Box size - depends on how much boot space will you wiiling to use. the bigger the box, the more efficent your sub will be means less power handling. (Bracing is included in box volume).

Lower Qtc. means bass will play lower. To have a tight bass you need sub which can play SQ. Bear in mind if a good sub goes with a wrong ported box then you will have nightmare on your bass.

Ps: if you think 4.5 cu. ft is big, Resonant Engineering XXX subs recomended ported enclosures is 8 cu. ft. Now that is what i call SPL.

loc in subang perdana shah alam....i did my fllorboard there onli at rm 200 wit workmanship...

i was quoted rm300 4 a 6hoon mdf wood 1.75cu.ft in klang n mega sound quoted me 1" mdf wood 4 rm 180 onli...

Originally posted by Yong_5290@Feb 14 2005, 23:07
loc in subang perdana shah alam....i did my fllorboard there onli at rm 200 wit workmanship...

i was quoted rm300 4 a 6hoon mdf wood 1.75cu.ft in klang n mega sound quoted me 1" mdf wood 4 rm 180 onli...
u mean subang and shah alam have ? or the place is call subang perdana at shah alam? sorry not very familiar with pj/klang area..

Originally posted by icecube@Feb 14 2005, 19:04
wahh... need so much calculation.... :( headache ....

how much does a customised ported enclosure cost or where can i get ppl to make one for me?
thanks bro for all the nice info u guys shared out here... really learning from u all...
what giving up already before even start?

Go DIY dude. You can search the net on how to use WinIsd or better you can go to US ICe forum and they will glad to help you in box calcualtion.

Top Bottom