Need opinion to own an Alfa Romeo 146

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

POSTIA

Known Member
Dear all,

i owned a iswara, feel like to get an Alfa Romeo 146, heard ppl saying tat to own a Alfa is not tat easy due to several reasons. Below are some queries tat i would like to get your opinion:-

1. Why do u choose to own an Alfa.
2. Does Alfa car require loz of maintenance n services as compared to others?
3. Are those Alfa's spare parts tat expensive? Some even said they are more expensive than bimmer's.
4. For Alfa owners, esp 146 owners, how much did u spent annualy over regular car maintenance & services?
5. Do we have any car lab tat specialize in Alfa downtown? I noe there is 1 in Kuchai Entrepreneur's Park, Kuchai Lama, KL.
6. Anything tat i should take xtra caution when owing an Alfa?
7. Is the petrol consumption high?

Im totally newbie at conti car. You advise & opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Hie there,

Well just to answer some of your questions.

1. I own one coz i love the car. For me its a car i've been dreaming of having.

2. If you're buying a 2nd hand one then it would depend on how well the car was maintained before. It can get very messy especially if it wasn't maintained well before.

3. Well it depends... certain things can be slightly more expensive but on the whole it is within the same ballpark figure for the parts. If mileage is high be prepared to have to change parts due to wear and tear.

4. Regular maintenance costs about RM200 - RM300 depending on what u replace. This does not include changing faulty parts.

5. You can go to HHK in Sunway, Goodwork is not bad too. Mega Auto in Kuchai is ok but not i find the other better.

6. Make sure u take note of any warning sign the car gives. Do not disregard anything. it can cost you more if u do.

7. Petrol consumption is alright. I get about 400km on a RM75 tank.

My advice to you would be to go for the twinspark model of the 146 and not the boxer engine version. The twinspark is more reliable in comparison.

To get more info from other people who drive 146's do visit the alfa/fiat forum at www.italiaauto.com, there are more experienced people than me there.

well i can only said its not an easy car but also not a very bad car. this car required alot of driver/owner attention to it. as what 155TS said, u got to take note on the early warning sign given by the car.

if u're looking a car that many mods can be done and tons of mod parts available, alfa is not the one for u. but if u're looking for a car which style just nice and happy cruising, then u can give it a try

155TS & normality78,

Thanks for you advise & explaination. I test drove a few 146 during this weekend. Well, like what normality78 said, its 'style just nice and happy cruising'. TS is obviously perform better than the boxer, although the later will produce nicer exhaust sound. I will really consider to get one for myself.

if u r willing to pay abit more, thr is a tip top condition alfa 146 turbo for sale. i think this guy no need further intro, all alfa guy would know him.

yup....my fren own an alfa 147.....nice car but u must take care of it....maintenance wise a little bit high but its ok if ur earning 2K-4K a month....one of the problem about continental car are.....the temperature in malaysia is not the same as in oversea....thats all...

afdzan said:
yup....my fren own an alfa 147.....nice car but u must take care of it....maintenance wise a little bit high but its ok if ur earning 2K-4K a month....one of the problem about continental car are.....the temperature in malaysia is not the same as in oversea....thats all...
afdzan, RM2-4k a month? i don't even have that much a month bro, but i can still manage to take care of my Fiat. Alfas and Fiats are more or less the same. heck, i have been laid off work for 5 months already and still, no problem with my car. that should make lotsa people wonder whether it's really a problematic car or not, as they always claimed.

postia, i reckon you join us at www.italiaauto.com where you have better and vast infos on your 146 from the owners there.

chriiz18 said:
Postia... My friend is selling his alfa 146 red. Superb cond. Fully o/h engine and gearbox. New fabric and well taken car. Btw hardly driven. Reason: too many car!
but what's the reason of overhauling la? what's the mileage and where did he do all the servicing and overhauls?

mm.. 2-4k to own a 147...I earn somewhere there but cant afford a 147.... Unless I go back to Pg where food is cheaper and can stay with my parents...

heck...if you stay in JB and get parts from Singapore, maintaining an alfa is like maintaining a Proton Wira...this is what i've been told la...

normality should know better ;)

afdzan said:
.........the temperature in malaysia is not the same as in oversea....thats all...

Fellas can I add tot his statement .. well European cars are made to suit european climate and since the cars are imported CBU we have to climatise the car when driving in malaysia...

To me before I imported my VW Golf I have been told about over heating and all but I can assure you my car has not over heated due to climate...

Just my 2 cents.....

Top Bottom