measuring db

renxun

1,000 RPM
if were on real low budget what is d so-so way to measure car's sub woofer db at the windscreen...i dont need to be accurate just wanna know roughly where im at..... what i have is a lap top and pc microphone..can use ar?

You can get the SPL meter. Order from US probably around few hundred - RM 200 to 300. The PC and mic combination also can use, but the software need to 'calibrate' your mic readings. If you just want to try. Look for RoomEQ wizard - free. TrueRTA-free for the 1 octave.

don't waste your money. You will only be 'mis-informed' about your SPL numbers.

accurate SPL mic. is damn expensive to buy and to maintain.

unless wanna join competition i dun see why u wanna measure db. Hear good sound can liao lor :P

haha... just to play play with the software and see how it actually works... downloaded this afternoon and had been studying on how to use it... wa..damm complicated.. i only manage to find out how to calibrate my pc lousy mic and test it out at my car... haha... get 122.8db...... at least i know im some where above 100db....

the ameron kelisa is crazy... 3 units of 10" woofers svc somemore... whacking a massive 150db at the recent competition.... the sound hard like hell but its really pumping my heart out...ahahha...

my 15" no where near there...

Which software you downloaded? If I am not mistaken, to increase 3dB, you'll need to double the power to the speaker/sub. You're putting the mic at the windshield? The readme/forum from trueRTA recommended that the Radioshack SPL meter for use. The problem is, it cost USD 49 to 59. That's not including shipping :P

Bro Kippo,
What kind of maintenance do SPL meter needs? Need to do calibration?

im using the room eq as the rta is much complicated for my own understanding... heehheh

cacin,
it is a standard that any instruments that are going to be used as a point of measurement/reference, it must be calibrated by certified 3rd. party.

even multi-meter and oscilloscope need calibration.

cacin,
it is a standard that any instruments that are going to be used as a point of measurement/reference, it must be calibrated by certified 3rd. party.

even multi-meter and oscilloscope need calibration.

Bro Kippo,
Thanks. So that's what you mean by mantainance.
I do understand that all measurement equiptment needs to be calibrated.
Have you personally tried Room EQ wizard? I am wondering about the way they do their measurement (SPL meter). There was also a setup that uses the Berhinger mic for the TrueRTA setup.

So, the point I have to ponder.... do audio shops with RTA or scope calibrate their measuring devices? :confused:

All in all, what I can say is I have tried using both but not with good or calibrated measurement devices. I would have to say that the Room EQ wizard is a software that you can use to adjust your EQ in HT systems (car also can). The trueRTA can be used for HT or car audio to see your system response (instead of having an actual RTA). The only reason I am playing with this is for my own knowledge/fun :)

Thanks again.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom