main power switch...

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

kelvin---

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Sarawak
erm...any1 ever thought bout DIYing a switch which connects to the main battery cable??so tat u can switch em off when u got off the car...kinda like an immobliser...and hide the switch at sum place which no1 thought of b4...

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
u dun need to make a switch at de main cable... just add a switch along de ignition where u crank ur engine.... once it is cut off... u will never get to start ur car with key..

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
yup, i added a switch to my main power cable as a safety measure against car theft (though I must admit, it is not really as effective as a real immobiliser or good alarm but still it has got its benefits). As khguan said, there are 2 places u can add the switch :-

A. Main power cable
B. Starter motor cable

The downside of choice B is that the thief can still reset ur alarm (by pressing the alarm rest button while in accessory) even if u add the switch to the starter motor as car can still be turned on (accessory). Remember to use thick gauge cables if u r planning to extend the switch away from the driver console to hide it.

qencing

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Subang Jaya
Visit site
it would be so obvious if every time u get in ur car u reach under the car to
press the switch... these thief dont just tske ur car ramdomly.. they also watch u..
i know bcause my car was stolen 5 month ago.. they also know when i come back
n wake up...
putting a switch somewhere inthe car like under the dash or in the glove-box would
be better...
but if they really wanna steal they will find other ways rite??
we can oni take precausions but can never stop them from stealing...

kelvin---

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Sarawak
sorry to hear tat u bcame a victim 5 months ago..u got a point there in how obvious things could b...how bout a remote controlled switch? jst to turn on the switch...this may sound silly..dun flame me a...newbie here

digitax

Known Member
Dec 25, 2003
heard there is something called a fuel cut switch , anyone care to explain this

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
fuel cut switch works like the above mainpower switch. In our cars, we have a fuel pump, which functions are to pump the fuel from the fuel tank to the engine fuel lines so that fuel can reach the engine for combustion (thru fuel injector for EFI cars or carburetor for non EFI cars). The fuel pump needs also electricity to work, so a switch can added to the power wire for the fuel pump to disable the fuel pump. The feature of this fuel cut switch is that you would be able to crank the engine but the engine would not start as got no fuel supply. Most immobilisers uses the fuel cut as one of the forms of immobilising the car.

badguy

500 RPM
Jun 15, 2004
ok i think the above 2 items work

1. adding a switch to starter
u would only need to add a normal switch to the ignition cable near to starter or add to the starter relay! it is very easy (but donno the theft will easily settle it or not)

2. add a switch to fuel pump
this also very easy but also donno the theft will easily kau tiam it or not??

and about the switch to main cable is not advisable!!
because the cable we used to connect this cable maybe is not correct
because it is a very tick cable any connection or sambung to the cable is not good and will weeker the preformance of ur car

Last edited:

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
SABAH
www.irs-asia.com
i apologize for not obey the forum rule - don't post if have nothing to say, and disturbing you guys discussion. anyway, in my opinion (my stupid opinion only), by disconnecting the ecu and carry it with you, perhaps it can be one of the ways to prevent your car from being driven off by those bustards while you are having sweet dreams at night...? :tongue:

kelvin---

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Sarawak
badguy said:
ok i think the above 2 items work

1. adding a switch to starter
u would only need to add a normal switch to the ignition cable near to starter or add to the starter relay! it is very easy (but donno the theft will easily settle it or not)

2. add a switch to fuel pump
this also very easy but also donno the theft will easily kau tiam it or not??

and about the switch to main cable is not advisable!!
because the cable we used to connect this cable maybe is not correct
because it is a very tick cable any connection or sambung to the cable is not good and will weeker the preformance of ur car
erm..dude..which one u care more?? performance or ur car??? lol...weaker performance..but car safe and sound...worth it la...no offense ya...this is how i think la...peace...

badguy

500 RPM
Jun 15, 2004
weeker the performance maybe is car electric supply not enough will cause the car jerking while runing
or many many thing leh

tykoh

Known Member
Jun 30, 2004
Ipoh
tykoh88.blogspot.com
if you have a nice car... people wont steal your car lah... people will tow your car or just use 'parang' to drive ur car away...
but these idea is cool also... at least it prevents those theif to walk home empty hand... :)

kelvin---

1,000 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Sarawak
tykoh dude...wut actually do u mean by "at least it prevents those theif to walk home empty hand"?...u wan them to walk home wif our car a?...or things in our car???no offense ya..but prevent = stop....peace..dude...

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
Apparently, most cars now require 3 cables to be connected in order for the engine to start.. you'll need to connect 1. the Earth wire (obviously), 2. the cable that connects to the ON switch, and 3. the ignition cable.. only then will the car start and the car will remain on if the ON and Earth are connected..

So, unless the thief is a real pro like in some Hollywood film and is able to start the car by connecting some wires, a small switch on the ON cable might just work.. most people here use it to turn off the car in the event the engine is too hot and the car refuses to shut down (race/drift cars) I've just installed a small ignition switch for starting the car up, but u'll still need the key to be in ON position for it to work and stay running..

But the most basic thing to preventing a car theft is not parking in a secluded place.. park in a place where people pass by.. use anything that may prolong the time it takes to steal a car (steering lock, brake pedal lock, wheel clamp) because most thieves wont steal a car if it takes more than 10mins to do it.. it just attracts attention..

Just my 2 yen..

A Post Every 5 Mins

Gold All Standard Waja with dirts JJG 1567

hii all, my car got stolen at roadside infront of my apartment at Tmn Sepakat indah 2, Sg Chua Kajang
reward RM1,000 for vital info, do contact me at 012 5115611.

stolen around 7pm, do help guys. must get rud of these scumbag thxx
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience