Looking for MRS with SMT & hardtop (year 2003 or onwards)

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
As the topic suggested;

a) Any suggestion where to get a good bargain?

b) What's the current market price?

c) What's the fuel consumption like?

d) Where can I get it serviced?

e) What's the maintenance cost like?

f) Is the hardtop automated?

g) Any problems to get spare parts? Heard that it is using the same engine as Altis 1.8, is it true?

h) I know this car is very good in handling but I also heard that it is very easy to oversteer during corners, so is it dangerous for beginners like me who used to drive FF cars?

Planned to use as a weekend car. Thank you in advance for your help & advice. :regular_smile:

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
There are NO 2003 models in the country yet.

1 - Go through motor trader for units on sale.
2 - Market price varies from 98k onwards.
3 - MRS has one of the best fuel consumption for a sports car or any other car for that matter
4 - There are many places to get your car maintained
5 - Maintenance cost is like any jap car
6 - Hard top and soft top is manually operated
7 - Parts are available via a few networks and uses the same engine as altis
8- You really need to get accustomed to the mr handling properties before you take the car to the limit.

Last edited:

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
*ahem* there were "3~2003" models sold. *ahem* but all sold. not likely to find 2003 spyders anytime soon. its all down to "AP" thingy.

*98k onwards for used/ varies from mods/condition. and like midship said its a affordable roadster. good fc, good on wallet.

and dont start on mods. :)

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Really no way to get a 2003 model with AMT? What a waste for Malaysian not able to enjoy such a good roadster. I just frequently saw year 2000 & 2001 MRS posted on newspapers for sale though. By the way, any chance seeing one at Naza?

More on the maintenance, will our local authorised Toyota service centers accept the car for servicing?

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
NAZA (PJ jln 222) does really bother anymore as they prefer newer/current models & "bigger" margins. Also the AP thingy plays a big part as who would want to use it to bring in newer & lower margined cars when they sell?

You might just enquire from their kampung baru branch but one is likely not find any 2003 onwards. You may try mutiara (KL or JB) as the seem to bring in some interesting spyders with kits.

there is a bandoh black widebodied at sunway 4 sale. (i think the widekit is hard to like, squarey)

there is no AMT at all. The MR-S spyders AREN'T AUTO, it's Sequential Manual Transmission (SMT); much like the SMG (BMW).

The SMT MR-S is also NOT triptronic . there is a big difference AS putting the WRONG gear oil WILL cause irreversible damage on the gear box. THere are too many salemens who are ill-informed on SMT & tripronic & SMG, etc.

Else, it service it as any normal cars are they dont really require special tool sets (like ferraris)

Most existing stocks of MRS were of the last batch in (together with hundreds of grey imported cars that were held at the ports by the custom-AP-mahathir-rapidah-issue last year. (that includes SUVs, MPVs, many "bling-bling" sport car marques.

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
koolspyda said:
NAZA (PJ jln 222) does really bother anymore as they prefer newer/current models & "bigger" margins. Also the AP thingy plays a big part as who would want to use it to bring in newer & lower margined cars when they sell?

You might just enquire from their kampung baru branch but one is likely not find any 2003 onwards. You may try mutiara (KL or JB) as the seem to bring in some interesting spyders with kits.

there is a bandoh black widebodied at sunway 4 sale. (i think the widekit is hard to like, squarey)

there is no AMT at all. The MR-S spyders AREN'T AUTO, it's Sequential Manual Transmission (SMT); much like the SMG (BMW).

The SMT MR-S is also NOT triptronic . there is a big difference AS putting the WRONG gear oil WILL cause irreversible damage on the gear box. THere are too many salemens who are ill-informed on SMT & tripronic & SMG, etc.

Else, it service it as any normal cars are they dont really require special tool sets (like ferraris)

Most existing stocks of MRS were of the last batch in (together with hundreds of grey imported cars that were held at the ports by the custom-AP-mahathir-rapidah-issue last year. (that includes SUVs, MPVs, many "bling-bling" sport car marques.
Yea it is SMT, a typo. Been seeing the SMART Fortwo lately, that's why accidentally typed AMT.

I'm really interested to get one though with 6-speed SMT & hardtop.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
hope the bold words werent coming off as sounding but it just a reminder for some guys who has shown interest but due to the lack of information or misinformation by "salemen" are a little clueless of the term (& since the MR-S isnt officially sold at UMW toyota)

6 speed SMT should come again eventually i guess. but whether is sold with the HT or not it depends. one can also buy it saparately.

if you have a sheltered car park or a bungalow, no worries. in fact i know of one owner who has a spare HT but has never use it since buying it.

enjoying topless much of the time.

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
I heard from another forum that the hardtop modification by Toms costs more than RM 10k, not sure if it is true.

By the way, if I ever drive a roadster I guess I will just close the roof all the time when driving in the city due to dust & smoke. Maybe only open up when driving around housing area or going for holiday destinations such as Genting.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
a brand new toyota Hardtop shipped in to malaysia will set you back way under 10K.
In US can be shipped to your doorstep (US2400) but unfortunately our customs will levy on it.

jumping into SG may help keep it under RM7. it 's way better manufactured compared to the MX5 past attempts (underlinings/heat-sound insulation are top notch wheareas there was none on the MX5).

in fact a friend in SG whose uncle has a porsche commented that its as good as the german marque HT which retails triple the price.

btw the HT at TOMS bangsar is a Toyota MR-S produced HT. not TOMS'es (or aftermarket HT). Only now some aftermarket HT in carbon fibre are slowly metarialising but cost are higher.

I saw the price quoted for the TOMs kitted MRS being retailed at RM180K++. it a lot of money. If they are only willing to lower the asking price, then it a good option as there are not to bad-factory works stuff in there.

Also, i'm informed the Bandoh GT300 wide-bodied MR-S is sold.

Racing_Rhythm

Known Member
Oct 4, 2005
wow....a lot of nice kits selling in KL ...
btw ....SG got a lot too ....^^
i never try SMT b4 so i hav no comment on it but the manual edition is extremely nice !! ....especialli the handling ....

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Saw a hardtop version year 2001 manual advert at Motor Trader but wonder what is the lowest possible price to offer though.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
lol, there arent any salesman here, so you gotta call. bunch of enthusiast hang out here but no car salesmen that i know of.

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
I know but I want to know what is the logical market price to offer during bargaining.

Just contacted Mutiara Motors (sigh, they were in JB as I'm in KL), they have a 2002 model with SMT (they still claimed it as tiptronic though) & soft top but to convert to hard top requires RM 5k extra. Offered price is RM 125k, what's the ideal price I should bargain with them?

Last edited:

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my
that sound like a pretty decent price for the unit and rm5k sounds fair for the hard top... try knocking off a few k if you are really serious about it... but make sure its manufactured 2002

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Guys, I got another question. I had heard of some AP controversy such as AP cars not allowed to be on the road after certain years & unsettled custom taxes, is this all true? Thanks for you guys help as I'm really not familiar it.

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
if you believe the politics...

anyway, so as long as the bank clears it. its should be fine. (as the owners are on you once the customs declaration are all certified).

whatever hanky panky stuff in the past; should be dealt by them. (seller/bank/AP).
always have B&W if possible with the seller if any deposit is given. You cannot be defaulted of your deposit IF the delay is on the greymarket/use car showroom & failed passings at the customs malaysia.

if you really are not bothered at all, then close one eye

benyeap

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
koolspyda said:
if you believe the politics...

anyway, so as long as the bank clears it. its should be fine. (as the owners are on you once the customs declaration are all certified).

whatever hanky panky stuff in the past; should be dealt by them. (seller/bank/AP).
always have B&W if possible with the seller if any deposit is given. You cannot be defaulted of your deposit IF the delay is on the greymarket/use car showroom & failed passings at the customs malaysia.

if you really are not bothered at all, then close one eye
Okay I will take note. Really can't wait to get one now but no 2003 model on sale, sigh.

By the way, do you guys have problems getting spare parts for the car since it is already discontinued?

koolspyda

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2004
KayEl
koolspyda.blogspot.com
there is a paradise blue with 6 speed advertise that "claims" to be retrofitted with 2003 stuffs, ala front lights, rear lights, etc. (its a lighter blue in MT)

discontinued? one can still order new toyota parts for AE86 from toyota japan, you can still purchase spare parts if you have a 1978 corolla... so do you think you might have trouble getting MR-S parts? :)

(reason most people whose cars are old "dont'" order new parts as their cars are of almost little value (bar AE86) hence it makes more sense for them to get salvaged parts from the yards.

and may this be a resourceful info for all on spare parts:cyclops:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

THE Crime Prevention and Eradication Department (JPPJ) has outlined six strategies to curb crime, one of which is to introduce the e-plate system (or electronic plate) for vehicles. The e-plate system uses radio frequency identification (RFID) tags that would help to reduce vehicle thefts and registration forgeries.

This e-plate system was proposed years ago but due to public complains of high price of plates (RM100+, I think), this idea was shelved. Now this proposal is considered again...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience