E-plate system to reduce car theft

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
THE Crime Prevention and Eradication Department (JPPJ) has outlined six strategies to curb crime, one of which is to introduce the e-plate system (or electronic plate) for vehicles. The e-plate system uses radio frequency identification (RFID) tags that would help to reduce vehicle thefts and registration forgeries.

This e-plate system was proposed years ago but due to public complains of high price of plates (RM100+, I think), this idea was shelved. Now this proposal is considered again.

What do you think? Good or bad? :hmmmm:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
THE Crime Prevention and Eradication Department (JPPJ) has outlined six strategies to curb crime, one of which is to introduce the e-plate system (or electronic plate) for vehicles. The e-plate system uses radio frequency identification (RFID) tags that would help to reduce vehicle thefts and registration forgeries.

This e-plate system was proposed years ago but due to public complains of high price of plates (RM100+, I think), this idea was shelved. Now this proposal is considered again.

100 plus they call it expensive? -_- Must be a joke.

john_unai

Known Member
Aug 9, 2011
mtkb
if its good & really help, why not? just don't be like the AES case. benefit to certain party, the rakyat suffer.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

no point implementing this while they can't proof that they manage to secure stolen car with RFID...especially when people stealing car and replace the stolen car's number plate with something else

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
This is what I understand about E-plates. They contain RFID chips which transmit information about the vehicle and the owner. The applications of this is interesting.

The police can read RFID signals from an area at once, giving them information about whether a stolen vehicle is in that area. It is like having hundreds of eyes looking at car plates. At road blocks, police can also check if what they see matches what the RFID signal is giving. If they don't match then something is amiss.

RFID can also serve like toll smart tags. No need to top up TnG. Just drive through the toll booths, get scanned, and we get billed at the end of the month.

RFID has its opponents. They say it is loss of privacy because the police can keep track of us. And Malaysians, being typical Malaysians, complain they are not willing to pay RM100+ for some fancy pansy license plates. All things in life must be either free or cheap. This is what I remembered reading the last time this idea was proposed.

But I am wondering how foolproof is this e-plate system. Wouldn't the thief swap e-plates to fool the scanner? This swapping can only be caught at road blocks where the police can see the discrepancy between what the RFID tells them and what their eyes tell them.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
reduce vehicle thefts and registration forgeries.
Should do it like other countries, only road transport dept can make plate numbers......

me think acc shop still can survive if losing this business right?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Should do it like other countries, only road transport dept can make plate numbers......

me think acc shop still can survive if losing this business right?
That would be good.. provided they don't charge exorbitant prices and have cronies offering substandard back plates and numbers that'll dry up and crack under hot weather.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
That would be good.. provided they don't charge exorbitant prices and have cronies offering substandard back plates and numbers that'll dry up and crack under hot weather.
thanks for reminding me :bawling:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
my 3weeks old roadtax already peeled-off on its own from the windscreen :banghead:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm I got one concern about this, will it also help the police to identify/proof if the car is speeding??

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Hmm I got one concern about this, will it also help the police to identify/proof if the car is speeding??
after that, they'll link speeding tickets to your bank account & auto-deduct the summons.. :stupid:

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
No, it cannot be done. RFID is not like GPS. It can't be used to determine location and speed of movement. This not a perfect analogy: but think of RFID like finding a friend in a crowd. Your friend shouts, "Hey! I am over here!" You hear his voice and know he is there somewhere in the crowd -- but exactly where, you aren't sure.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey all,
I'm wondering if it's legal to remove the front passenger seat. cuz want to reduce weight.
Will the car still be road legal?
Thx in advance.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience