L5 questions

kennyyeoh

Known Member
Sep 11, 2008
hey all

Im running a L5 4 piston turbo (not mistaken JB-JL)

I need some advice on what i need to look at if i wanna increase some power, especially the pick-up side... im not so keen on the high-end part as its for use in short distances. well im not looking for mad power but just good enough to do quick overtakes.

Problem here is that im running on 16" rims (yes i know, bad idea) and im not swapping that out for power. my stock is boosting at 7.2 bar according to the boost meter...

thanks for your time

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
If I'm not mistaken, your JB-JL engine (same as me la) got 0.8~0.9 stock boost... been testing with both autogauge boost meter and also blitz...

Have you done your exhaust (downpipe till end) yet?

a certain otai here in zth would tell you to get a piggyback (safc/emanage) and get it properly tuned first, then the exhaust part... and finally the intake (open pod + intake pipe etc)

if that not suite you... get a bigger turbo with front mount intercooler... i've seen JB-JL with TD025 turbo (from eterna twin turbo) + fronti mount intercooler tuned with emanage and get 40% increase in power

for me... I'm still satisfied with stock performance... just mod exhaust (downpipe not done yet... waiting for the cat converter kong first) and intake only....but then, I'm using 13" wheels

p/s: I've got a fren (kancil JB-JL oso) who don a 15 incher and then downsized back to 13" for the sake of performance... and he's using a hybrid turbo to his JB-JL

hey all

Im running a L5 4 piston turbo (not mistaken JB-JL)

I need some advice on what i need to look at if i wanna increase some power, especially the pick-up side... im not so keen on the high-end part as its for use in short distances. well im not looking for mad power but just good enough to do quick overtakes.

Problem here is that im running on 16" rims (yes i know, bad idea) and im not swapping that out for power. my stock is boosting at 7.2 bar according to the boost meter...

thanks for your time

kennyyeoh

Known Member
Sep 11, 2008
If I'm not mistaken, your JB-JL engine (same as me la) got 0.8~0.9 stock boost... been testing with both autogauge boost meter and also blitz...

Have you done your exhaust (downpipe till end) yet?

a certain otai here in zth would tell you to get a piggyback (safc/emanage) and get it properly tuned first, then the exhaust part... and finally the intake (open pod + intake pipe etc)

if that not suite you... get a bigger turbo with front mount intercooler... i've seen JB-JL with TD025 turbo (from eterna twin turbo) + fronti mount intercooler tuned with emanage and get 40% increase in power

for me... I'm still satisfied with stock performance... just mod exhaust (downpipe not done yet... waiting for the cat converter kong first) and intake only....but then, I'm using 13" wheels

p/s: I've got a fren (kancil JB-JL oso) who don a 15 incher and then downsized back to 13" for the sake of performance... and he's using a hybrid turbo to his JB-JL
hey papagoines,
thanks for the informative reply, 0.8-0.9 bar stock. that i have to look into, i have a boost controller in hand which i could use to increase the boost, not planning to go beyond 1.0 bar tho, like to keep it reliable.

i knowfor sure the cat has been removed but still using the housing, dont know if that affects the performance, but beyond the cat its 2" all the way back.

as for piggys, im hoping not to go there unless i run out of options...for the rims, i can downgrade due to the new kit i put up, its customed to flush the wheel, well anyway im kinda more of going for looks than speed... have other cars covering that area...

Hybrid turbo... whats that?

hey Thanks again for the reply, appreciate it man...:adore:

spec-c

1,500 RPM
May 21, 2008
TTDi
get a decent sized turbo td04 etc etc.. together with larger injectors, fuel pump, fmic, piggyback and you'll get a decent increase in hp :)

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
hey papagoines,
thanks for the informative reply, 0.8-0.9 bar stock. that i have to look into, i have a boost controller in hand which i could use to increase the boost, not planning to go beyond 1.0 bar tho, like to keep it reliable.

i knowfor sure the cat has been removed but still using the housing, dont know if that affects the performance, but beyond the cat its 2" all the way back.

as for piggys, im hoping not to go there unless i run out of options...for the rims, i can downgrade due to the new kit i put up, its customed to flush the wheel, well anyway im kinda more of going for looks than speed... have other cars covering that area...

Hybrid turbo... whats that?

hey Thanks again for the reply, appreciate it man...:adore:
for the exhaust, it look decent... but if you spend around rm350 - rm450, you can get a custom downpipe... the 2" pipes are more than enough... can cater up to 200hp

go for a piggy, a cheap ones like afc 5 button is enough, you might be surprised how much a stock engine with stock boost performance can be increased

hybrid turbo is when you mate the compressor from one model, and the turbine from another model... one fave hybrid turbo amongst L5 users is RHF3 turbine (ori L5 turbo) + RHF4 compressor (from Subaru legacy twin turbo) with clipped turbine fins... but that costs a lot of money.... better get a TD025...

get a decent sized turbo td04 etc etc.. together with larger injectors, fuel pump, fmic, piggyback and you'll get a decent increase in hp :)
this config can easy go for 100++ hp :adore:

kennyyeoh

Known Member
Sep 11, 2008
for the exhaust, it look decent... but if you spend around rm350 - rm450, you can get a custom downpipe... the 2" pipes are more than enough... can cater up to 200hp

go for a piggy, a cheap ones like afc 5 button is enough, you might be surprised how much a stock engine with stock boost performance can be increased

hybrid turbo is when you mate the compressor from one model, and the turbine from another model... one fave hybrid turbo amongst L5 users is RHF3 turbine (ori L5 turbo) + RHF4 compressor (from Subaru legacy twin turbo) with clipped turbine fins... but that costs a lot of money.... better get a TD025...
Just want to know if there will be significant improvement if i get the downpipe done, i used to have a Apexi neo, gave it to one of my boys, was not thinking to do tune-up like that anymore... well lets see then...

TD-025, wanna research on that one, thanks again bro bee very very helpful

oh that be more than decent, will have to do some research again... i do believe the above will be very fun to drive. thanks!

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Just want to know if there will be significant improvement if i get the downpipe done, i used to have a Apexi neo, gave it to one of my boys, was not thinking to do tune-up like that anymore... well lets see then...

TD-025, wanna research on that one, thanks again bro bee very very helpful

oh that be more than decent, will have to do some research again... i do believe the above will be very fun to drive. thanks!
apexi neo is good... but a bit overkill... you see; safc ii and neo have the option of tuning based on throttle opening percentage... in JB-JL, the throttle position sensor only works either 0 or 1 (0% and 100%)... that why I recommend using SAFC 1 or AFC 5 button

when using downpipe, you can see the turbo spool a lil faster... and more pick up

kennyyeoh

Known Member
Sep 11, 2008
apexi neo is good... but a bit overkill... you see; safc ii and neo have the option of tuning based on throttle opening percentage... in JB-JL, the throttle position sensor only works either 0 or 1 (0% and 100%)... that why I recommend using SAFC 1 or AFC 5 button

when using downpipe, you can see the turbo spool a lil faster... and more pick up
Oh okay... i didnt know that the throttle position sensor is on/off basis, ok then the search for the SAFC shall begin then...

as for the downpipe, any exhaust shop will do, or is there any specific type of shop i should be visiting, also should i do the downpipe now if i have plans to hybrid the turbo later..

lastly if you have any good mech shop to recommend within subang/puchong area, im short of 1 now..

Bro Thanks so much for your feedbacks... its been superb help...:adore:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Any reputable exhaust shop will do.... but for the best I think you should look around in zth, many reputable exhaust shop cropped up...

If you want to hybrid the existing ori turbo with a bigger housing such as RHF3 turbine + RHF4 compressor that discussed earlier then it should be no problem to use back the custom downpipe you might do now... but if you want to use totally different turbo such as TD025 etc.... it'll be wise to hold it until you get the said turbo since its turbine outlet might be different plus you need to custom
exhaust manifold to the turbo as well

as per workshop recommendation, i'd not have the privileges to do performance upgrade yet (even my exhaust set was from hafkat and its a plug n pplay so normal workshop can install) so kinda afraid to recommend you....

I think you better get the SAFC first, get it tune at a dyno... then feel the power first... if not satisfactory then proceed with the turbo mod...

good luck and if possible post your your success (or not) here to share

Oh okay... i didnt know that the throttle position sensor is on/off basis, ok then the search for the SAFC shall begin then...

as for the downpipe, any exhaust shop will do, or is there any specific type of shop i should be visiting, also should i do the downpipe now if i have plans to hybrid the turbo later..

lastly if you have any good mech shop to recommend within subang/puchong area, im short of 1 now..

p/s: get a 2nd opinion... I'm oso a noobie...:adore:

Bro Thanks so much for your feedbacks... its been superb help...:adore:

kennyyeoh

Known Member
Sep 11, 2008
Any reputable exhaust shop will do.... but for the best I think you should look around in zth, many reputable exhaust shop cropped up...

If you want to hybrid the existing ori turbo with a bigger housing such as RHF3 turbine + RHF4 compressor that discussed earlier then it should be no problem to use back the custom downpipe you might do now... but if you want to use totally different turbo such as TD025 etc.... it'll be wise to hold it until you get the said turbo since its turbine outlet might be different plus you need to custom
exhaust manifold to the turbo as well

as per workshop recommendation, i'd not have the privileges to do performance upgrade yet (even my exhaust set was from hafkat and its a plug n pplay so normal workshop can install) so kinda afraid to recommend you....

I think you better get the SAFC first, get it tune at a dyno... then feel the power first... if not satisfactory then proceed with the turbo mod...

good luck and if possible post your your success (or not) here to share
okay, the downpipe is also known as screamer pipe right? one thing i want to know is if its noisy as im kinda worried bout noise, my car is a everyday runner now. wanna avoid having very loud noises around. id aslo need to do more research on the types of turbo you mentioned above, pros and cons.. i have a few friend who own shops, probably look for them.. havent been tuning cars for years now so lost all contacts d, must find more time to go see them, one of them speedzone.. used to know the owner very well.
been on the search for the SAFC 1, seems like the price between the SAFC1/2 and NEO isnt very far apart. need to do more searching b4 making any decision... many things to do but fundings not entirely ample..heheheh

I also 13".....nice nice, when bought the car it was 14" not so nice :P
as much as i want to i cant head there anymore... smallest i can go will be 15... and that also the car will not look right anymore,..

anyway if you guys havent seen my car.. here it is... let me know what you think
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...my-perodua-kancil-chromaworks-sidewinder.html

Thanks again

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
no need to do a screamer pipe (the one that divert the wastegate flow directly outside)... just make a downpipe that re-combine the wastegate pipe back into the main exhaust pipe... i think this is cheaper

I'm not saying that SAFCII is not that good, just that you paying things that you don't use such as tuning a/f base on throttle input...

as per SAFC NEO is concerned, most opinions will say that better get an eManage since add a bit $$$ and you can tune your ignition too.... unless you prefer NEO for its aesthetic value (the display is a conversation piece :love: )

luv your car btw... very nice... makes my bodypart otai friends drooling huhuhuhuh :adore:

okay, the downpipe is also known as screamer pipe right? one thing i want to know is if its noisy as im kinda worried bout noise, my car is a everyday runner now. wanna avoid having very loud noises around. id aslo need to do more research on the types of turbo you mentioned above, pros and cons.. i have a few friend who own shops, probably look for them.. havent been tuning cars for years now so lost all contacts d, must find more time to go see them, one of them speedzone.. used to know the owner very well.
been on the search for the SAFC 1, seems like the price between the SAFC1/2 and NEO isnt very far apart. need to do more searching b4 making any decision... many things to do but fundings not entirely ample..heheheh

as much as i want to i cant head there anymore... smallest i can go will be 15... and that also the car will not look right anymore,..

anyway if you guys havent seen my car.. here it is... let me know what you think
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...my-perodua-kancil-chromaworks-sidewinder.html

Thanks again

foofis

Known Member
May 23, 2010
Johor
but papagoines ar, is the td04 overkill for l2 standard piston ? coz seems like turbo lag till 4500rpm like that, hard for hill climb ler.....if full boost 4000rpm still acceptable

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
that's why I suggest TD025 to kennyyeoh.. already seen TD025 used in JB-JLs and it offers best compromised between fast spooling and nice power hike...

for L2/L2S engine, i'm not sure but if lags is of your concerned, go for bigger block (850/1000) la :adore:

for me it all boils down to own preference... for those so called horsepower junkies.. they doesn't mind lags as they focused on top-end power...

for my pref, I'm still satisfied with stock JB-JL with basic mod performance...

but papagoines ar, is the td04 overkill for l2 standard piston ? coz seems like turbo lag till 4500rpm like that, hard for hill climb ler.....if full boost 4000rpm still acceptable

foofis

Known Member
May 23, 2010
Johor
hmmm, if put in 2E piston n maintain td025, hows the power like ? have u driven any b4 ? thanks

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

----blaza aka......blindfury-----

:thumpdown :bath: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :mad: :albertein :birthday: :dancing2: :handkiss: :secruity: :tee: :tongue: :smile: :biggrin: :dancing2: :handkiss: :secruity: :tee: :biggrin: :frown: :wink: :eek:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience