JDM: Different meanings for different people

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Aura

1,500 RPM
You’ve heard it and you keep hearing it and chances are you’ll keep hearing it. But just what is JDM? Maybe you secretly don’t know what it really means; maybe you don’t even know why it’s such a hot thing to have a JDM engine under the hood, but not to worry, we’ll take a peek into just what JDM is and its different meanings for many people. Technically speaking JDM are three letters that represent the words: Japanese Domestic Market . From this definition you could conclude that JDM simply means any sort of part that was produced in the Japanese market. However for other people JDM can mean something more than this simple definition. These hybrids import enthusiasts define JDM as being a style and philosophy when customizing your ride.

The JDM style is known for a particular way of structuring a vehicle so it performs better while looking sleek and simple. You might do this by importing a Japanese engine and performing several body modifications, but it’s pretty much up to a person’s personal choice. A popular saying in the JDM world is that “form follows function”, this means that the car’s form should be principally based on what function it is to perform. Other Japanese Domestic Market influences signal that many of the car’s parts should be black. So, for example, a car with black rims can represent JDM characteristics.

Some people with lousy local bodikit claim that their bodikit is better and prettier than JDM spec. Others support this kind of group but they also don't really prefer those customized bodikit (just to make noise in the forum like a monkey, so they pretend to hate those JDM spec products!!). They love to make noise so that they can add their posting. They attacking JDM 'preserver'/enthusiast while they themselves also like JDM spec stuffs. For instance, when someone who’s a Daihatsu Charade GTti enthusiast try to promote JDM spec of bodikits, one stupid fella will say that JDM is not necessarily be in the car's bodikit. They even claims that custom made/rojak style is much prettier than just follow the JDM spec. But he himself not brave enough to fit those kind of custom made fiber bodikit on his own car...!!! He (no she) already installed De Tomaso bumper on his car...Is he dare to put fiber bumper onto his car..? Or at least install Citroen bumper on his car? No! Definitely not! At last, the JDM enthusiast had to delete his msg just to let that monkey attacking him... (You could find this scenario in Japanese car thread now...)

JDM is a subjective matter. There will be no right or wrong. People whose prefer JDM style will try to promote JDM spec. Furthermore, if you could afford to have JDM spec of bodikit, you'll have a big heart. You’ll feel great! Although you have spend that much, but you'll feel satisfy with your car. Custom made also can, but after a while, you will feel unsatisfied (why my car is ugly as now? why I didn't take that JDM enthusiast's advice...) with your car. At the end, you also will follow JDM spec as well...

For those who hated much on JDM enthusiast, try to cool yourself down, and don't let that JDM enthusiast feel down. He’s doing the right thing by promoting right things...

hahaha... aiyah, actually i personally feel JDM meaning having the stuffs fitting nicely, or originally made for the car. While customising, as the word means... customising to your own preference.

no big deal. I opt for the so call "JDM" stuffs, but not jdm spec cos... ie, i installed the kissa roof spoiler (itz 1.3 model), gtti front bumper, sideskirt and grill coz its easy... straight pasang, even i can do it myself.

but customise also nice... but leceh loh.. involve alot of work.. and it may turn out disasterous if the parts doesnt match. I wouldn't mind customising, just that i dont really have the patience to do it.. i want to fast fast pasang without much error. ;)

if i'm driving original honda FIT import from Japan + mugen bodykits, it's called as JDM spec ?As i know, JDM is for a cars that sell for japan market only.

Last edited:
erm... if the JDM straight fr factory doesn't have mugen kits... then itz not JDM. hahahaha... i dunno... i just bantai. Joking.

zephyr3d said:
erm... if the JDM straight fr factory doesn't have mugen kits... then itz not JDM. hahahaha... i dunno... i just bantai. Joking.

I also Dunno lar...the sale man said to me, some got full spec, some get normal spec. My one he said full spec, so got bodykits, sunroof, h.i.d..bla..bla.. heater also got.

the americans tend to categorized JDM becos....the japanese made cars that were imported to the states are sometimes different...some are totally different from wat the japanese are getting...so the term JDM is to convert your car back to how the car was supposed to be in Japan....americans need to do a lot of work to reJDM their car...we malaysian we can get a full JDM or a locally assembled...almost the same as them americans...a bit of parts here and there...and your car can be considered JDM as well...so long its resemble the cars in Japan....some USDM owners even go to the extreme as to redo their LHD cars to RHD...just to be fully JDM....madness...i prefer JDM looks...a wee bit of kits here and there are still acceptable...no extra long sideskirts or protruding bumpers....not my cuppa tea....ehhehehe

Why does your post not make sense to me?

Aura said:
JDM is a subjective matter. There will be no right or wrong. People whose prefer JDM style will try to promote JDM spec.

Aura said:
For those who hated much on JDM enthusiast, try to cool yourself down, and don't let that JDM enthusiast feel down. He’s doing the right thing by promoting right things...

i also like boggysv..dunno head or tail.

anyway, JDM is self explanatory. the car model itself is only available in japan.

one very good example is Mitsubishi Townbox. as kei cars (townbox qualifies as kei category vehicle and enjoys tax rebates as well special small parking lot in Japan.)
are not anything normal to other countries, mitsubshi doesnt export them oversea.

in my knowledge, Toyota Altezza is a JDM. ALtezza is only exported outside japan as Lexus IS200/300. same goes to other Lexus variants localy know as Toyota. like Harrier, Camry Prominent (ES250), Land Cruiser Cygnus 4.7 (Lexus LX470), Celsior 4.3 (Lexus LS430) and others. we see many of these on our roads but they are not officially brought in by appointed franchise dealer. they are grey imports.

mitsubishi EVO series on the other hand is not JDM as it is being exported worldwide.

forgive me if i am wrong..he he :D

i wonder whether we will get MDM of protons. MDM will make us feel special.

let me share my knowledge here...

in the past 10 years, proton UK had sold Iswara (known as MPI) with EFI, Lancer dashboard and even sunroof. power steering is standard on 1.3 models.

Wira has 2 different vesions of 1.6. the top spec 1.6 has ABS and twin airbag. its known as SE.

do we all know that Wira (or Persona) diesel UK spec has a standard turbocharger?
ours are NA only, slow noisy and emit black smoke that make ur 1 year old white car looks like 8 years old. same models somehow made their way into malaysia as taxis. if u r driving in the southern region of peninsular malaysia watch for yellow wira aeroback taxis. neva underestimate their power...:D

and last but not least, do we know there was a Putra Evolution (known as Proton Coupe Evolution) in UK? it was sold side by side with standard putra. i dunno what are the difference though..

for malaysians....sighh... all normal specs. however, R3 shud have been MDM (malaysia DOmestic Market). that is a good start anyway.

zan said:
i wonder whether we will get MDM of protons. MDM will make us feel special.

let me share my knowledge here...

in the past 10 years, proton UK had sold Iswara (known as MPI) with EFI, Lancer dashboard and even sunroof. power steering is standard on 1.3 models.

Wira has 2 different vesions of 1.6. the top spec 1.6 has ABS and twin airbag. its known as SE.

do we all know that Wira (or Persona) diesel UK spec has a standard turbocharger?
ours are NA only, slow noisy and emit black smoke that make ur 1 year old white car looks like 8 years old. same models somehow made their way into malaysia as taxis. if u r driving in the southern region of peninsular malaysia watch for yellow wira aeroback taxis. neva underestimate their power...:D

and last but not least, do we know there was a Putra Evolution (known as Proton Coupe Evolution) in UK? it was sold side by side with standard putra. i dunno what are the difference though..

for malaysians....sighh... all normal specs. however, R3 shud have been MDM (malaysia DOmestic Market). that is a good start anyway.

the problem is most proton owners straight convert their protons to...errr...JDM spec....AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA...and some even Euro'ed their proton....dang..

from wat i know,JDM cars r available in JPN oni...
if we have them here,it's probably due to parallel importers etc.

Car in different countries has different options and specifications. Take EK for example, they have EK2, EK3, EK4, EK5, EK8 and EK9 in Japan but Malaysia only have D16 ESI and vtec. The USDM is categorized as LX, EX, GX and D for the trim level of the car.

Those who are after for the JDM look means they will try to find parts and emblems for the car that are available in Japanese domestic market. We are going for the clean stock look with the original parts from Japan.

Hikaru said:
Car in different countries has different options and specifications. Take EK for example, they have EK2, EK3, EK4, EK5, EK8 and EK9 in Japan but Malaysia only have D16 ESI and vtec. The USDM is categorized as LX, EX, GX and D for the trim level of the car.

Those who are after for the JDM look means they will try to find parts and emblems for the car that are available in Japanese domestic market. We are going for the clean stock look with the original parts from Japan.

local EK models chassis number starts with EJ and not EK. the actual model code is SO4.

what i know bout JDM car is its a car that sold in japan only..got speed limiter and some accecories for use in japan only..basically, different trim in upholstery, and sometime appearence than the USDM car..

btw there are really different spec in japs car..for hongkong spec (same like JDM but no speed limiter, car is at full power), the aussie spec, euro spec (as accord euro R) etc etc..

in term of styling, JDM spec is like using the original upgrade parts, official or not official..i guess..

just my 2 cent..its all depends on ones preferences

JDM stand for JEPUN DAN MALAYSIA... jk
like my car got jepun parts n malaysia parts... the chasis i can't convert it to Japan one....

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom