Internet So Called Good Deals - Worth While?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
There are many many deals going on right now, but are these stuffs worth while purchasing?
Please give your views.

Here are mine.
To me some are and some are not, so as I read in another topic where bro. PocRoc did mentioned, "Please read the fine prints"

I bought my first deal from Groupon. It was a 5 course meal for 4 to 6 persons at RM40. I was thinking even for Road Side (Tai Chow) a meal for 4 easily comes to RM60 to 70 already, so went ahead and bought. Call to book a table, and when arrived was told the meal does not include rice, drinks, titbits and so on, so add loh! Finally had to pay another RM35 for those stuffs, so ended paying RM75 in total. No savings at all.....:mad:

Another thing to check, the offers always mentioned 50% savings that is because from list price. Got one time I was interested in the Solar night lights. Eg. RM180, now RM110, that is about 40% off, but when I check the sellers website they were like selling at RM120 only, so it is like 10% savings only...

The latest deal I bought, I think was worth the while. I double check the price for the meal item at the restaurant first, then compare with deal price. Then read fine prints, came with drinks, dessert, salad and tax included....all in.....passed......:biggrin:

Another thing on discount vouchers deals. Pay RM50 for RM100 voucher, but fine print mention one table can use one voucher only :mad:....cannot use for things already on offer.....:mad::mad:

So please read the fine prints.....:smokin:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
i dont buy stuffs from groupon......most items are ripped off.
before i buy anything or doing buss with halfcut shops, i always check mudah.my for market price....from there i will determine my profit margin.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
In my point of view, before purchasing the items in the so called Discount Coupons Webpage with HUGE Discounts up to 70%, kindly do your research on the item/product and service that they are selling. Not only the items, but also the background of that company that offers it.

Last year, I had been quite crazy about all this huge discounts on Coupon webpage, start purchasing as though I was addicted to some kind of drugs. My purchases involves, Car Wash, Tinting, electronic stuffs and also detailing before.

Tinting, I got it as described, bought at about RM300+ that time but end up spending RM500+ just to top up a better tint for the front
and rear windscreen. AS mentioned, read the fine prints properly. The reason I upgraded is because the color of the tint for the
front and rear is different than the side windows panels. Side window panels are black, but the front and rear is clear tint.

End up, me and my colleague upgraded together. Looks good. But then upgrading was our own choice. So is not like they cheated u
or what. You can complain or anything cause is all written in the fine prints, you are to blame if you find things didnt came out
as what you expected. Reasons are simple, either you cant read or you didn't read carefully.

So, is not that we can't or not recommended to purchase from these Coupons/Discounts Websites. Just do your research, read carefully
and you will be fine and purchase items that really worth purchasing.

Car Wash, I purchase RM68 for 10 times free car wash or something like that, from what I remember.

The Detailing one was the worse one. A few of us bought, because the offer is real good. But my friend's husband send 2 cars there at 1 time. Used the coupons, left the car there and came back disappointed because they are still so much Tars on the skirtings and bumper
and you call that detailing? Voice out and they did it like they are unwilling to redo it.

End up, 2nd time when others want to go there, the shop was not open. It seems to have closed down all of a sudden. Well? Where did
they go? Ran away, is what we thought.

So, I didnt get a chance to use my coupon. Was RM48 I think.

So, just be smart when buying things online.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
In my point of view, before purchasing the items in the so called Discount Coupons Webpage with HUGE Discounts up to 70%, kindly do your research on the item/product and service that they are selling. Not only the items, but also the background of that company that offers it.

Last year, I had been quite crazy about all this huge discounts on Coupon webpage, start purchasing as though I was addicted to some kind of drugs. My purchases involves, Car Wash, Tinting, electronic stuffs and also detailing before.

Tinting, I got it as described, bought at about RM300+ that time but end up spending RM500+ just to top up a better tint for the front
and rear windscreen. AS mentioned, read the fine prints properly. The reason I upgraded is because the color of the tint for the
front and rear is different than the side windows panels. Side window panels are black, but the front and rear is clear tint.

End up, me and my colleague upgraded together. Looks good. But then upgrading was our own choice. So is not like they cheated u
or what. You can complain or anything cause is all written in the fine prints, you are to blame if you find things didnt came out
as what you expected. Reasons are simple, either you cant read or you didn't read carefully.

So, is not that we can't or not recommended to purchase from these Coupons/Discounts Websites. Just do your research, read carefully
and you will be fine and purchase items that really worth purchasing.

Car Wash, I purchase RM68 for 10 times free car wash or something like that, from what I remember.

The Detailing one was the worse one. A few of us bought, because the offer is real good. But my friend's husband send 2 cars there at 1 time. Used the coupons, left the car there and came back disappointed because they are still so much Tars on the skirtings and bumper
and you call that detailing? Voice out and they did it like they are unwilling to redo it.

End up, 2nd time when others want to go there, the shop was not open. It seems to have closed down all of a sudden. Well? Where did
they go? Ran away, is what we thought.

So, I didnt get a chance to use my coupon. Was RM48 I think.

So, just be smart when buying things online.
Yup, upgrade is just like my meal without rice....:mad:

Wah! first time I hear close down and disappeared.....:confused:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yup, upgrade is just like my meal without rice....:mad:

Wah! first time I hear close down and disappeared.....:confused:
Yup, that's why i say must do research on that shop. If close down or got cheated,
need to report to the coupon company about the deals they bought, u will get back your money
anyhow.

But sometimes small amount like less than RM50, a lot lazy to do so...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, that's why i say must do research on that shop. If close down or got cheated,
need to report to the coupon company about the deals they bought, u will get back your money
anyhow.

But sometimes small amount like less than RM50, a lot lazy to do so...
I heard that is how some of them operate. Cheap, so you buy, written as money back guarantee, but actually how many will return for the money? If amount is small, you also don't bother. That is where they make loh!....:rolleyes:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If you understand how these companies work (Groupon and all) then you'll never want to buy cheap things unless it really is cheap. I bought Totoro studio macaroons and Tiramisu for RM30 instead of RM60, it really was bloody fantastic and I don't mind going back to this cake studio for more next time.

But after chatting with the guy a bit, I found out how Groupon works. They take 40% of the value of what you're selling it for and the rest goes back to you. So not only does the merchant sell for a lower price, they probably sell it close to cost price if you pay with the voucher.

How many merchants can tahan this sort of business? Food perhaps will survive if they cater to a large crowd already. But there are some steam boat places that were terrible to begin with then use these discount companies as a mean of promoting their business. You buy, you go there and the food sucked big time.

Anyway bottom line is merchants sell via these discount prices at a very low cost (own cost) and some might even be at a loss. You just need to think for yourself - if a restaurant has been around for ages and is suddenly having to resort to groupon - whats happened to them? If this is the case - probably a good idea to not buy the groupon.

If the business is new, it's probably just a way of self promotion.

When I get my electronic paint gun which I bought from groupon, I'll let you know if I got ripped off or not. There wasn't any fine print that said anything out of the ordinary.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, some are using as promotion, that is why they are asked to upgrade and so on. Try luck to get more business, you will never know how many will upgrade since they are pretty skillful to manipulate the sales.....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yup, I bought a pedicure coupon for my gf last time. A new shop actually when I went there...we ask her about the coupon, she said
frankly she is using it as a advertising sort of method, just to create awareness of her shop.

But totally they dont earn at all. They are just doing it at a loss just taking it as advertisement cost. They say the coupon company earns most of the profit. I cant remember how many percentage already.

dominicputra

Oct 29, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I have sold things via Groupon. They take a cut of 40-45% from the selling price of each item. So basically when you count back, the sellers dont gain anything. The profit margin is too low. Its good for advertising yr shop. Other than that, Groupon sucks.

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Some deals are good...F&B especially..

Once 'kena' with Wash Wax, Polish, Clay, Smoke, Etc Etc Etc..
So cheap mah RM60-80...

But the result similar to RM15 car wash...then said need to do this and that..topup sumore..
Is this you RM300 worth of service on detailing?? 75% discount??

Go die City Car Care...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Some deals are good...F&B especially..
But have to read the fine prints. Last deal i bought from Manhattan fish Market was good. I double their original price first then read fine prints. This deal came with drinks, dessert and includes the tax whatever, so my meal is nett nett using the voucher only, nothing else.....:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Just make sure we read the fine prints properly and then you won't find that you got cheated or somewhat bought something that is not what is suppose to be.

If some things are hidden and not stated, then there is nothing we can do but to boycott and create more awareness about that particular shop. So that no one will fall for it again. But also best to complain/report to the respective coupon company.