How to avoid scratches during car wash?

babypris

Jul 8, 2007
any idea of avoiding scratches during car wash. i mean wash on our own la. i had bad experience sending car was be it in service centre or road site car wash.

but even when i wash it on my own, it still cause some fine scratches, especially both my cars are black. so irritating!!!! and now my 1 month old C200 started looks 'ugly' for me....:Not_Impressed:

May 1, 2007
I use micro-fiber cloth to wash. Spray the body with water before start shampoo washing. Then wipe of water and do waxing which help remove some minor scratch.

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
any idea of avoiding scratches during car wash. i mean wash on our own la. i had bad experience sending car was be it in service centre or road site car wash.

but even when i wash it on my own, it still cause some fine scratches, especially both my cars are black. so irritating!!!! and now my 1 month old C200 started looks 'ugly' for me....:Not_Impressed:
1st u should let ur car really cool down, then use the water and spray all over the car for about 5-10 minutes. Then try use the Meguairs Gold Classic Shampoo and conditioners to wash ur car for about 3 times using those microfiber cloth either by the super expensive Meguiars RM82 or affordable RM11.90 Perma Glass microfiber cloth. Then u need to do claying, scratch reducing processing by using Scratch X of Meguairs or other brands if its not severe, then follow by polishing and waxing. And finally follow by fine tune of your waxing with some detailer spray. U will have a nice shinning n scratch free car. Thats what i learn from using meguairs product. If above failed, i think u should send your baby to Professional Detailing Company to help sav your paint from further damage.

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
I have a black car with a lot of swirl marks because of bad washing habits. Yo should use the 2 bucket method to prevent dirt from getting lodged in your wash mitt. More on 2 bucket method here. If you don't have 2 buckets, you should wash your car from top to bottom.

Next, to remove the swirls, try Meguiar's ColourX. It worked fine for me. Check out this thread for the results. I applied ColourX by hand and it can even remove some deep scratches.

BEFORE

AFTER

For black cars, to bring out the shine and achieve the "wet-look", use Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.

Post some pics of your paintwork here! A month old car shouldn't look too bad! Take the pics under bright sunlight for best effect.

Last edited:

spykey

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
imoloq, my car also black.
also got quite a lot scatches esp on the hood.
where can i buy the meguiiar?
tq

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
imoloq, my car also black.
also got quite a lot scatches esp on the hood.
where can i buy the meguiiar?
tq
U can get from Ace Hardware.

245A, 1st Floor,
Jalan Bandar 13,
Taman Melawati,
53100 Kuala Lumpur.

Tel : 03 - 4105 7231
Fax : 03 - 4105 7232

Lot S-JA3(B), S-057 & S-058,
Second Floor,
Mid Valley Megamall,
Lingkaran Syed Putra,
59200 Kuala Lumpur.

G1, Ikano Power Centre,
No. 2, Jalan PJU 7/2,
Mutiara Damansara,
47800 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan.

F-33, Tingkat 1,
Lucky Plaza Bandar Park,
Jalan Mega Mendung,
Off Jalan Klang Lama,
58000 Kuala Lumpur.

G25, 26, 27, 27-1, Ground Floor,
The Summit Subang USJ,
Persiaran Kewajipan, USJ 1,
47600 UEP Subang Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan.

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
The stuff ACE Hardware sells is expensive.

Try HyperCoat. Look for Mr Johan Wong (012-2789272). Say imoloq from Meguiar's forums intro.

If your car has a lot of swirls, I would recommend you polish the entire car with Meguiar's ColourX. I would also recommend the Meguiar's HighTech Applicator if your budget allows it. I myself used an ordinary polishing cloth and the results are just as nice.

Hypercoat Enterprises Sdn Bhd

30, Jalan Industri 1/1,

Taman Perindustrian USJ 1,

47600, Subang Jaya,

Selangor Darul Ehsan,

Malaysia

Tel: 603-8024 4594 / 4576

Fax: 603-8024 5594

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
the best way to minimize.....keyword 'Minimize' scratches or swirls while washing ur car is to use the 2 bucket technique. 1 bucket of ur car wash, another bucket of clean water.

wash ur car, dip ur wash cloth or sponge in the clean water b4 dipping back into ur car wash bucket.

Merce

Jul 26, 2007
So lets study a little about this scartches we get during the car wash...

Scratches, swirl marks etc etc that u get during a car wash can be caused by the following,

Sand or dust particles, (the most common)
Rings
Watches
Dry cloths (hard to believe, ei?)
and sometimes even finger nails... (yeap...)

The best way to prevent (or minimze) swirl marks is ...

DONT WASH YOUR CAR :biggrin:

just kidding :p

Anyhow, first thing to do before u start washing ur car, is to inspect the whole car. By doing so, u can spot areas with mud stain or sand. Since they r the main reason to cause swirl marks, make sure you hose them off first from top to bottom. Always hose/rinse/spray you car from top to bottom!

The following step is to apply shampoo. Most ppl thought shampoo is just to clean off the dirt and white foam (weeEEeeee~), but what they dont know is it lubricates the surface. This helps alot to prevent more swirl marks during car wash. Again important note to all... Apply shampoo from TOP of the car to the BOTTOM. Bear in mind that you might not be able to hose off all the mud stain or sand. Having your sponge running from the bottom to the top, u might collect those along the way... imagine running them over your car to the top...

After you have fun with the foam...(weeeEeee~:biggrin: ) rinse it off completely and dry the car with a cloth. Now before u start running the cloth over the car, wet the cloth. I've seen swirl marks created by dry cloth, and yes even micro fiber cloth... but no worries, all u need to do is just damp the cloth. Soak the cloth in water, twist it till its a little damp, and wipe off the water on the car, GENTLY...

And there you have it... :burnout:

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
send ur Merz to Hypercoat get them to restore for you....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just one word.... WOW ! Is Mitsubishi back on track to make us an amazing sport car a bit like in the past with the Twin Turbo ? The Concept-RA certainly looks like an artist’s interpretation of a new Eclipse, although the front and rear fascias also share the new Lancer Evolution design language. But this is no Eclipse - in fact it’s anything but a front-drive petrol car with more show than go. This is a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience