gsr1.8 + mivec head

amu5e

Jul 28, 2004
Visit site
need a little help here... my gsr cam cover cracked so i was thinnking of replacing with a mivec head. is it possible to do up mivec turbo this way considering safety and extensiveness of the total modding package?

Jun9970

Nov 22, 2003
ur GSR cam cover cracked, so u wanna change the entire head to a mivec head?
seems a like overkill ler. y dun u change ur cracked cam cover instead?

its like having a lil cut on ur toe but using plaster cast on it.

GSR5559

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
www.zerotohundred.com
Originally posted by amu5e@Aug 17 2004, 11:01 AM
need a little help here... my gsr cam cover cracked so i was thinnking of replacing with a mivec head. is it possible to do up mivec turbo this way considering safety and extensiveness of the total modding package?
yes u can if ur rich le..haha..
from a gsr to mivec turbo is easy..
first u need to have mivec head, mivec wiring if ur not planning to use standalone ECU..

cus u see, u need good settings of fuel,air ratio to produce good mivec turbo, as u can see dat mivec = n/a = high compression...GSR = turbo = low compression
and i can tellu to have a veri good condition of mivec turbo is not easy and maintainence is veri high i guess..u need a good mech and tuner too or else u whole engine culd blow easily..if the combination of the both engine is not in proper way..

for a mivec stuff (dunno wht is included ) around RM 3k..den if getting engine management eg: microtech around Rm 4k ..so it is like ur dumping another halfcut money into ur car..anyway this is wht i think oni le..
cus 3 weeks back my engine head oso gone due to timing belt putus, and i was planning to put in a mivec head and become mivec turbo, but after hearing all the advise from my mech, need this and that, i quit of putting in a mivec instead the original head..

anyway good luck..ciao

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Plonking them together might be as easy as it sounds... but when it comes to tuning.... then u'll start to have headaches. Mivec turbos are prone to all kinda wierd defects when it isn't tuned properly. Heard mivec turbos even have a hard time tuning the mivec to open.

Of course in thise case, a fully programmable ECU is preferred to minimize problems, and maximize reliability. But then again... the wira 1.8 mivec turbo that was last time featured in hypertune was sitting in the workshop 3 days a week although it was running on Haltech!

Might have exaggurated, sorry to the owner if he reads this! Kekekez... =) But I could have sworn I've seen the car on the jacks every week!! Sometimes a few days a week!! It was tuned in sunway, and I'm studying in Monash. Parking is very hard to find, thus the reason why i roam around too much! kekeke...

kRiminaLz

500 RPM
Aug 5, 2004
Docklands/SAlam
Visit site
mivec turbo cant really be driven as an everyday car...
they dont haf' the reliability rite? :blink:

Jun9970

Nov 22, 2003
couple of foreseable problems, imo

1st, the mivec combustion chamber volume is less than that of a dohc head
effectively, bolting on the mived head increases ur compression.
this can't b good for turbo cars. i suppose some engineering work on the combustion chamber 2 open it a lil or a stack gasket can overcome this problem

2nd, a mivec runs on MAP whereas the GSR runs on airflow
if u use the mivec wiring, n the MAP detects positive manifold pressure, won't a check engine light appear? If u suse GSR wiring n air flow, wut r u gonna use 2 activate the mivec? an RPM switch? ie maybe RSM / pivot shift light connected to a relay which activates the MIVEC?

3rd, fuel mapping for the increased air volume? at least an SAFC 2 compensate?

all in all, it sounds nice n prolly is doable, but issit worth the gains?
better got for better turbine, larget injectors, better cooling n MORE BOOST!!

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by Jun9970@Aug 18 2004, 12:30 PM
couple of foreseable problems, imo

1st, the mivec combustion chamber volume is less than that of a dohc head
effectively, bolting on the mived head increases ur compression.
this can't b good for turbo cars. i suppose some engineering work on the combustion chamber 2 open it a lil or a stack gasket can overcome this problem

2nd, a mivec runs on MAP whereas the GSR runs on airflow
if u use the mivec wiring, n the MAP detects positive manifold pressure, won't a check engine light appear? If u suse GSR wiring n air flow, wut r u gonna use 2 activate the mivec? an RPM switch? ie maybe RSM / pivot shift light connected to a relay which activates the MIVEC?

3rd, fuel mapping for the increased air volume? at least an SAFC 2 compensate?

all in all, it sounds nice n prolly is doable, but issit worth the gains?
better got for better turbine, larget injectors, better cooling n MORE BOOST!!
AGREED! =)

p/s: Think they usually use back GSR wiring... and use a VAFC or rsm shift light function to open the mivec. This is the reason why I mentioned earlier that mivec turbo owners have problems tuning their mivec to open. <_< <_<

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by kRiminaLz@Aug 18 2004, 03:52 AM
mivec turbo cant really be driven as an everyday car...
they dont haf' the reliability rite? :blink:
Dunno la this one... best if a mivec turbo owner come and answer this. =)

rc_intercooler

Jun 1, 2004
Visit site
ello, off coz mivec turbo can be driven as an everyday car

i'll use mine to go to class everyday.

but one thing is the prob,becarefull of its engine temp.

links

1,500 RPM
May 26, 2004
we got the original mivec turbo car from mitsubishi now..the new colt turbo..1.5 dohc turbo...

exigezero

Sep 10, 2004
Hi,
I used to own a mivec turbo Satria. the car was featured in motor trader write up when i modded it. can say i have the experience to tell what are possible mod of mivec turbo 4G93. I bought the halfcut 4G93T. convert to a 4G93T mivec. Now the question is...can it be done? obviously it is possible. Coz i've driven it.
How it can be done is a tough one. first, u need to solve the problem of timing belt. Secondly, the head gasket. Need to be thicker. i used a very thick gasket...cant remember how thick, but it is made of copper. thirdly, u need to bore the block slightly, to reduce the friction. Then the biggest problem is to activate the mivec when it is required. I've used the RSM shift light theory to do it, but it is sad to say, i burned the RSM with first attempt. So dont ever try to do so. At the end of it, it is pretty easy, just tap the signal from the rev meter. Once the rev exceed 5000rpm, it will send a signal n trigger the mivec to open and close when the rev is below 5000rpm. Then have to make sure the engine is fed with enough fuel. Changed it to RX-7 fuel injectors n used the Apexi S-AFC to adjust accordingly. but petrol consumption is damn high. kekeke.

Dynoed the car at 230bhp on wheels boost at 0.9 bar. Tried with 1.0 bar, but the engine misfire..so stick with it on 0.9 bar. running around for about a year before i sold my car. by that time, the mivec head is not in very good condition already..due to constant dragging n rev to max. cut off at 8200 rpm. But overall, it was a good experience. i think i blew 5-7k on the conversion, lost count on how much i spent on it.

exigezero

Sep 10, 2004
well, i can conclude it is fairly worth it considering the fact that when i mod the car, it is very very rare to have a mivec 1.8 turbo. i mean, ppl know that your car is a bit special kind of feeling. i did spend a bomb, but the trill and speed is even better.... by the way, mivec turbo cam profile do not give u the kick like a turbo engine does, just linear powerband all the way to 8000rpm...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does anyone any idea the best rims size to use for satria 1.3 standard engine.
Please comment.Thank you for your comments
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience