Exporting a car into Malaysia...?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

GTi9158

Known Member
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney & P.J.
Got a question for anyone that has the information ;-)

I've got here (Sydney, Aus) a 2008 Lancer. It's pretty much exactly like the 2.0GT in Malaysia, except it's a 5spd Manual.

I may be moving back to Malaysia, and of course, I don't wanna leave my car behind. How would I go about getting this thing into Malaysia? I've already got an AP (from dad) that he hasn't used yet.

what i'm wondering, is stuff like Tax etc... would the tax on this car be insanely expensive?

Furthermore, I've got a turbo kit thats coming in next month. I was thinking, if I were to install it now, before exporting the car back it would cause problems with JPJ etc... might as well get the car registered stock first, then mod in KL?

thanks for all the help from anyone!:wavey:

options

Known Member
Dec 3, 2006
U can consult the malaysia ambassy for more information. If u are in studies, u can apply student AP which is free of charge but it is once in a life time.
The best is engage with a local car dealer that can helps u to bring back the car once u got the AP. They can helps u settle with the custom without having much trouble and also some settlement for discount in the tax assessment. Remember, the custom officer have the right to assess ur car higher tax if u had more car accessory.

About the tax, it is counted by the engine litres and depreciation. The diff between u bring in the car in vs the local dealer is u can bring the car that is >4yrs but local dealer must bring in the car which is less or equal 4 yrs which the tax is higher if counted by depreciation. The student AP is free vs. normal commercial car is Rm30k. Once u registered ur car in m'sia, u cannot transfer name for 4yrs if u are using student AP.

For modification, it has to tight to the malaysia gov JPJ rule i guess it will be safe. I do not have the exact same incident but example, a mercedez 230E can convert into E230 without changes to the body dimension will be ok. Normally when we exist from the custom, they will check ur car and engine chassis vs. in the paper. I do not remember they checked the engine modifications.

All of the above rules is from my experience in 1998 .. hopefully it is still the same :biggrin:

GTi9158

Known Member
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney & P.J.
thanks for the reply bro. 4 years or more eh? that would be hard considering I bought the car in 2007 November.

No major mod's, only the springs.

The AP no problem, as my dad has one at the moment. What I was wondering about is the tax/duties, thats the main thing I'm worried about.

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
It will cost you about the same price as you import it.....

BTW it should read 'Importing a car into Malaysia', not ' Exporting......'

GTi9158

Known Member
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney & P.J.
^^ thanks for the reply. It's okay though, I found a way to kao tim everything already.

PS: I'm exporting it. Cause, i bought the car here (Sydney) and I'm still here (Sydney). So i'll be exporting my car out of Sydney. adios :-)

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
by the way, how much u bought it in australia....
here is selling rm119k.....GT version. if tax is too high, coming back to same price....n warranty thingy is troublesome too. juz my 2cents....

GTi9158

Known Member
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney & P.J.
here is selling rm119k.....GT version. if tax is too high, coming back to same price....n warranty thingy is troublesome too. juz my 2cents....
hi. I paid $32K on road for it. Based on current exchange rates of AUD$1 = RM 2.35, it's RM75,000 on road.

the lower spec one (there are 3, with 2 transmission, so 6 models) is only about $22K on road, which is RM51,700. thats the one with the 16" (or 15?) wheels and stuff.

the reason I rather import, is I don't want the CVT. The one I have is a full-spec manual.

warranty no issue at all, cause it's gonna be void soon anyway. installing a 16G turbo kit in December. or... if I export it to M'sia, I'll wait and then install it there.

anyway, the tax thing all kao tim edi... :-D

azizi.aziz

1,500 RPM
Jul 5, 2006
....AUD$1 = RM 2.35.....:hmmmm: like sing$.... A few month back, the currency rate AUD$1=RM3.00+ :biggrin:

GTi9158

Known Member
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney & P.J.
....AUD$1 = RM 2.35.....:hmmmm: like sing$.... A few month back, the currency rate AUD$1=RM3.00+ :biggrin:
correct. high point was like RM3.10.

at the moment, 1 SGD is like 1.01 - 1.03AUD! lol! sucks big time for me... especially since I was planning to come back in Jan/Feb. guess not anymore!

JERRY_VR4

1,000 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
JOHOR BAHRU
i think aus car is tax free right ? my frenz told me aus car is damn cheap ..

GTi9158

Known Member
Apr 23, 2005
Sydney & P.J.
i think aus car is tax free right ? my frenz told me aus car is damn cheap ..
your friend is dreaming man... no such thing as tax free :thefinger:

there's a 10% GST on the car, plus heavy on road costs, as in yearly insurance premiums + road tax

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
hi. I paid $32K on road for it. Based on current exchange rates of AUD$1 = RM 2.35, it's RM75,000 on road.

the lower spec one (there are 3, with 2 transmission, so 6 models) is only about $22K on road, which is RM51,700. thats the one with the 16" (or 15?) wheels and stuff.

the reason I rather import, is I don't want the CVT. The one I have is a full-spec manual.

warranty no issue at all, cause it's gonna be void soon anyway. installing a 16G turbo kit in December. or... if I export it to M'sia, I'll wait and then install it there.

anyway, the tax thing all kao tim edi... :-D
in that case, i think its better to ship it over....manual u cant get here .......me like manual too..CVT somehow not that fulfilling to me....my 2cents

Kyogezsho

Known Member
Dec 1, 2005
Bro, Currently i m in the UK, planning to bring back a car as well so am i Entitled to Tax as well?
how many % is the tax do you know?
i m not sure the procedure, but i m planning to bring back a 2nd hand car so does it depend on how many years i owned or how many years the car is after registered?

cheers,

DewA_LavaU

1,500 RPM
Jan 11, 2004
Bintulu
Kyogezsho bro since u at uk i suggest u bought Evo9 FQ320 MR or FQ400 very2 rare one only in uk hehehehe anyway how much Fq400 cost at uk aah?

PabloIceman

3,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2006
Kyogezsho bro since u at uk i suggest u bought Evo9 FQ320 MR or FQ400 very2 rare one only in uk hehehehe anyway how much Fq400 cost at uk aah?
Bob, u didn't know Mr. P already have the replica FQ320 ka? :adore::rofl::thefinger: