CVT vs DCT

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor
Guys, i would like to know. Does light modification(open pod air filter, force induction, ECU reformat) affect on CVT and Dual Clutch? To what extend of pressure does these transmission can hold on when it comes mod? Has anybody done this before?

I know tht, alot of Japanese car use CVT but Euro use DCT. I see that Volkswagen face the most problem in terms of DCT in our country but Merc, BMW and so on, do not have this kind of problem. I notice tht, even Ford uses DCT. I believe tht CVT and DCT is competing who has the best transmission ever.

Maybe you guys can provide me with some great info. Im just curious, cause im getting Focus end of this year.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
DCT and CVT are actually not the same. DCT, dual clutch transmission is actually a manual gearbox with automated clutch control. DCT separates the gearbox into two section where one section holds the odd number gears while the other holds the even number gears. It is capable of very fast gear change in a few miliseconds as gears can be changed almost instantaneously when a gear is disengaged from one gearbox and the other one engages the next gear swiftly.

Meanwhile, CVT is a belt or chain driven transmission. It does not have any gears or specific gear ratio. The ratio varies accordingly to the belt. Although it has a manual mode in certain CVT, those are just virtual gears that is pre programmed into the TCU (transmission control unit).

CVT is good for smooth driving and fuel efficiency as it can keep the engine running at the ideal power band. DCT are performance oriented transmission which can usually be found in recent high performance cars. CVT are more towards fuel efficiency where they can be found mostly in hybrid cars.

Hope what I write above is not wrong.

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor
DCT and CVT are actually not the same. DCT, dual clutch transmission is actually a manual gearbox with automated clutch control. DCT separates the gearbox into two section where one section holds the odd number gears while the other holds the even number gears. It is capable of very fast gear change in a few miliseconds as gears can be changed almost instantaneously when a gear is disengaged from one gearbox and the other one engages the next gear swiftly.

Meanwhile, CVT is a belt or chain driven transmission. It does not have any gears or specific gear ratio. The ratio varies accordingly to the belt. Although it has a manual mode in certain CVT, those are just virtual gears that is pre programmed into the TCU (transmission control unit).

CVT is good for smooth driving and fuel efficiency as it can keep the engine running at the ideal power band. DCT are performance oriented transmission which can usually be found in recent high performance cars. CVT are more towards fuel efficiency where they can be found mostly in hybrid cars.

Hope what I write above is not wrong.
Great info, but is it possible for CVT to handle certain pressure if we mod the car?

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor
Most probably not. CVT can't withstand much the stress from extra power or torque.
example, like Proton Suprima or Preve, it has small turbo. If im not mistaken, Suprima and Preve is the only turbo car that use CVT. but wht if change to bigger turbo. most probably it will affect the CVT right?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
example, like Proton Suprima or Preve, it has small turbo. If im not mistaken, Suprima and Preve is the only turbo car that use CVT. but wht if change to bigger turbo. most probably it will affect the CVT right?
I think this has been discussed before over here? I think their current output is the peak that their CVT can withstand.

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor
I think this has been discussed before over here? I think their current output is the peak that their CVT can withstand.
alrite thanks Renesis much appreciated.. since this has been discussed before, i shall check in the forum.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, heard torque is tuned to CVT max handling....:driver:

Pros for CVT is it chooses the best gearing for whatever power range, as it has no fixed gear ratio.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, heard torque is tuned to CVT max handling....:driver:

Pros for CVT is it chooses the best gearing for whatever power range, as it has no fixed gear ratio.
But not much potential for further improvement in terms of power gain. That's the downside...

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor
Heard from bro. Izso, he saw one Exora CFE mod more power and torque, CVT still holding out....:driver:
Still can hold on lh, but dont know how long. But i see, some mod their Lancer to the max. but maybe they change the transmission.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Maybe the CVT is modified or reinforced?

BTW, anyone knows what will happen if CVT broke down due to too much power? The belt/chain will snap?
But is just out of curiosity, only japanese car use CVT instead of DCT. But Euro they dont even use CVT, as far as i know lh.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Still can hold on lh, but dont know how long. But i see, some mod their Lancer to the max. but maybe they change the transmission.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

But is just out of curiosity, only japanese car use CVT instead of DCT. But Euro they dont even use CVT, as far as i know lh.
Probably those Lancer are still in NA. NA not that easy to gain a lot of power compared to forced induction.

Euro cars got CVT also. For example, those lower spec Audi models use CVT like A4 2.0 or 1.8. Japanese also got DCT. R35 GT-R...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Probably those Lancer are still in NA. NA not that easy to gain a lot of power compared to forced induction.

Euro cars got CVT also. For example, those lower spec Audi models use CVT like A4 2.0 or 1.8. Japanese also got DCT. R35 GT-R...
Evo X also DCT mah!

nyne

Known Member
May 21, 2013
selangor
you mean the A4 2.0T and 1.8T use CVT? i tot DCT. So basically right now we can say tht CVT is competing with DCT who is the best transmission in-terms of FC, performance and durability. Like egb18c just mention, even the new Subaru WRX use CVT. Maybe CVT is coming up under performance side.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Evo X also DCT mah!
Ah haha, forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.

you mean the A4 2.0T and 1.8T use CVT? i tot DCT. So basically right now we can say tht CVT is competing with DCT who is the best transmission in-terms of FC, performance and durability. Like egb18c just mention, even the new Subaru WRX use CVT. Maybe CVT is coming up under performance side.
I think for FC and smoothness in driving, CVT is better as I heard DCT can be jerky at low speed.

The new WRX is using CVT is probably due to the reason that Subaru is manufacturing their own transmission, yes CVT included. They probably assume that those who goes for auto in a WRX are probably not those hardcore enthusiast as most likely those would have went for the manual version already. With CVT in WRX, they are probably trying to combine decent FC, comfort and above average power at the same time since normal torque converter auto are not as smooth as CVT and is not as efficient as CVT as well in FC.

Now that you've mention it, not only WRX is using CVT. The new Legacy turbo and Forester turbo are using CVT too.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
CVT is a kill joy. Absolutely abyssal for drivers. Must be the most boring transmission there is. Selespeed being a bitch to drive is more fun than CVT.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

"The best handling front-wheel-drive car in the world" - that's what BTCC Champion Jason Plato had to say when he drove the Ford Focus RS on Britain's "other motoring show", Fifth Gear. And now rumour has it that the Focus RS is about to get even more hardcore before it officially bows out to be replaced by the current Focus.<!--more-->

Nothing has been confirmed yet as it all just remains...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience