Crossover Questions> Ohm & Watt effects?

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

xavier

Known Member
Oct 23, 2005
Need advice on Crossovers

Guys,

Have a component set. Unfortunately, the crossover does not have any indications of input, mid, bass or tweeter. How do I determine which goes where? Is there a way?
Is it possible for me to just try it with the sound on? Will swapping the cables here and there on the crossover with the music on spoil the crossover?

I have a 45W X 4 head unit. I have read about parallel and serial connections and the effects of the Ohms and etc. However, I do not really understand how the crossover effects the Ohm or Wattage of speakers.

If I use a crossover with a 4 ohm Midbass and a 4 ohm tweeter, is the total ohm for that component system, 4 ohm?

Can I connect 2 tweeters (4 ohm each) to the same crossover (Tweeter output) and 1 Midbass (4 ohm)? Will the wattage be cut in this case? Will the total ohms decrease or increase?

Please, sifus... Help me! I'd really appreciate it! :X-:

Last edited:

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
for the passive with no labels i guess u have to try each terminal and see, just dont feed it high volume as tweeter can be damaged if connected to mid output. crossover wont be spoiled.

parallel connection between channels will give u lower ohm hence higher watts. series will be the opposite. however i dont advise u to do this with the HU inbuilt amp, its very small (around 12W rms only) and not stable if bridged. the crossover doesnt have an effect on power to the speakers, only amp does.

4ohm mid & 4ohm tweet connected to the passive crossover will only be 4ohm load to the amp. no worries there. if u connect 2 sets of 4 ohm tweeters to the passive it will give a 2 ohm load. in theory power will be double (then divided into 2 for each tweeter) but im not sure if theres any effect since its connected to a passive network. if connected directly to the amp confirm it will be 2ohm and double power.

xavier

Known Member
Oct 23, 2005
Thanx Zen for the advice. Got another question for you. My sound system is very basic. I've got 2 component sets and one HU, 45W X 4.

I have an amp, but it's a cheap China one with 2 channel output. Cannot remember the other specs.

Is it advisable to connect both components to the HU unit only, plus an extra tweeter to the crossover... ?
FRONT: 2 Midbass, 4 tweeter, 2 crossover
BACK: 2 Midbass, 2 tweeter

OR is it better to connect all of them to the 2 channel amp?

Last edited:

craziechild

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
Sarawak
i would advose you to power the front component with the two channel amp... one channel each and the rear powered by the HU...

you will get better staging this way...

xavier

Known Member
Oct 23, 2005
Thanx...

Thanx, Craziechild... hehe, Never thought of that! Thanx. By the way, say if I use a China amplifier, would it sound much better thru the amp or direct from HU? Is there a difference in quality? :embaressed_smile:

craziechild

500 RPM
May 11, 2005
Sarawak
of cuz the through the amp will be better as the amp will provide much more power to drive the speaker... normally HU only hav 20WRMS or less.. so when you cannot hear much detail from it... and when you open it louder sometimes it will be clipping... to overcome this we use the amp lo... as the amp provide more power... then monimize the clipping...

quality wise also will be better... unless the amp is really crap amp... then that's a whole different story...

hope this helps..

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
yeah use the amp to power the front component and the HU to power the rear one.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi everybody!!!! I would like to ask from you guys experts whether where can I buy the passo fog light which is bright and good quality........ as i am currently now using the passo bodykit with the included fog light..... but the fog light is extremely lousssssy.... anybody here is using passo bodykit as well have change their fog light to a better one..... please guide me where can i buy it from? i am from kl...... i noe sunway there have a lot of shops such as redzone.... can u guys tell...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience