corolla seg circa-1992 model

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
hi guys,

umm, recently my dad's been thinking of getting an seg 1.6 (m) somewhere around '92 model. any feedback on this car? in terms of engine conversions and availibility of parts to mod. because, i was gonna mod my wira but then suddenly he wants to get an seg for me so i've put my money on hold as hopping there will be some better mods to do in the seg. any advice? mods in terms of interior/exterior and ofcourse...POWER! hahah. help me out guys. thanks.

the only thing i know about this car is that you can fit a trueno (AE101 i think) supercharger? or soemthing like that.

thanks. :)

u have many choices with a SEG. 4AGE family consists of 16valves (3 generations ), superchargers 4AGZE( 2 version , from AE92 and AE101), 20valves (2 version, silvertop and blacktop 5 sp or 6 sp). All of this are from Levin or Trueno.

U can also drop in 3SGE or 3SGTE (2.0cc). the torque is awesome.

All the halfcuts are easy to get. Do some research and follow this toyota thread from time to time to learn more about those engines. To choose any of those engines is entirely up to you, either you like NA, or force induction.

Interior or exterior, any car also can mod. juz get some JDM parts and it'll look very nice.

nnnnoooooo........dont change it because toyota MCSB and sucks, mod proton better, GSR 1.8 4G93t super power maa... can tapau toyota no matter what engine inside and mods, aftermarket parts so damn hard to find.....

My brother might be selling his 93' SEG. Comes with 3SGTE (celica st185 watercooled) and 17" ACE rims wrapped with Kumho rubbers :D

About modding, as with other sedan cars there are tons of things you could do with it. Crystal headlamps, FX-GT bumpers... looks awesome to me. Wait, let me find some nice SEG pics first...

banzai,
cool, anymore info you can add on for any of the engines you've listed as to give me a rough idea.

4agze,
dude, not looking to tapau gsr's or whatever la. just want a decent daily driver and track car :)

aeroz,
umm, any pics of ur bro's ride? just wanna see what can be done with the car as i hardly see any modded seg's on the road (unless they're all sleepers then....i've got nothing to say hahah)

oh, is it easie to get an approval for engine conversion than a proton?

if you masuk 4age or 4agze is easy to get approval coz the CC is within the bracket allowd .. from 1.3 -> 1.6 .. for ae101 which is the year 92 SEG .. a 20v ae101 or 20v ae111 or ae101 4agze is direct plug and play install except for 1.3 model which need to mod one or two mounting mount .. MOD only .. no potong sambung welding work involved .... B)

yolk,
i was looking to get the 1.6 variant (4A-FE i think) umm, so future transplants would be easier like the 3sgte or something la right? is there any extensive modding that needs to be done to fit those 3g's?

fai,
thanks dude, been to that site liao :P but thanks anyway.

umm, anymore...like things to look out for when buying as second hand seg 92-93 model?

The best part of modding Toyota is second hand part is cheap especially the half cut.

let me give you some example:

AE101 half cut (4AGE 20V SVT): RM1800- RM2000 included:
1. rear disk break
2. Fuel tank.

Which half cut can beat this price?

AE111 is slightly higher but no prob to tapau B16A (Big Vtec) on sedan chassis.
Around RM3300 - RM3800

Value for money and power is there.

I owned a Honda EG9 last time, and now driving AE92.
Although the outlook of AE92 is not as attractive EG9, but with a little imagination an creativity, you're able to mod it to your liking as well.

wow! shiet...that really is cheap bro!!! hmmm, looks like i won't be regretting going from my wira to corolla eh?

what about the price of the 3sgte and the price of aftermarket parts. was thinking of trd's but i think they're either not available already or REALLY expensive. :P

i think there is more aftermarket performance part for 3sgte compare to 4age. i've been doing alot of research on what i can get for 4age (when i finally get to do the transplant :( ), but ended up finding alot more parts for 3sgte. i only look for major japanese aftermarket parts manufacturer, dunno about the other. maybe i just dunno where to look...

aftermarket parts are still expensive :lol:
cusco adjustables for AE101+ can still fetch up to RM2,000++ used
DBA brake systems for example cost nearly RM1k, not much difference from other brands on this model. Original ones can be good enuff :P
cams are over RM3000+ for the 20V, RM2400 for custom made ones
DIY cam pulleys cost anywhere from RM120 mod to RM300+ TRIAL Tuning package, real TODA ones above RM1000
TRD sway bars are more than RM1000, flywheels oso around 1000+
bla bla... sorry these are only approximate figures. may vary depending on ur contacts, friends or luck :P (i quote mostly new items)

things u should look out for in terms of preferences as u put it; now u know that:

-conversion to twin cam 4AGs is very easy
-cost of modding small2 stuff and replacing basic OEM parts are quite cheap
-they're quite reliable if u leave em stock
-3S conversions which are considered extreme and sifuable (HAIL QiW) will set u back around RM8-9k to satisfying completion*

so all ya gotta do is inspect the condition of the car, its care and maintenance record (if available) and make sure it has never been involved in major accidents before! :lol:

TOYOTA... Get the Feeling.

*Not necessarily must be spent one shot. it may come to that much.

ae80typeD,
oh thanks for the insight on modding seg's...really interested with the 3sgte conversions. or would you recommend a 4agze supercharger? (if i got the jargon's correct la)

gze also good, can tapau b16a already lol. not to mention easier to go in the engine bay since the old engine also A series engine.

yup yup yup! 4AGZE is more viable when compared to any 3S consideration.. coz its easier to transplant like rollakid sifu stated and it will be kinder to ur car's balance, since u mentioned 'track car'...

if u're building a 1/4mile monster, then POWER is all that matters.. different story oledy ;)

a 3S fitted SEG will have a tad heavier front end, but its not something that stopped our damn terror fishing sifu QiW from outrunning us puny 4AG drivers. with an LSD and good suspensions, im sure it can still turn well, but my money's on a 4A inside anytime for more balance and sharper handling in the track :-)

hmmm....interesting, has anyone done FF drifting with the seg? cause i'm really into that and my pop's won't get me a ke70 haha, says it's to old. :P

rollakid,
serious shit! can tapau...hmmm sounds good to me :)

ae80typeD,
looking more into preciosion thru corners :) wanna take part in autokhanas and stuff. :) need to start somewhere.

just think about the VTEC, with JUN stage 1 cam (no need valve train kit or whatever, can work with stock valve system), thier low cam is 240-250 degree duration, and high cam is 305 degree duration, so they have usable torque in almost all rpm range already.

just think how much power will you get from 305 duration cam in a 4ag? don't forget you only have 1 cam profile, they have 2, you use high cam, you can match them at high rpm but loose out at launching. you use low cam, you can match them at low rpm but when their vtec kick in you can just save petrol by cruising to the finish line :P

so best bet is to smoke them with more torque, like the gze, unless you think Force induction vs NA is no fair, but dun forget normal engine (even with 20v VVT vs vtec) also no fair

hahah nah, don't really give a damn about smoking them regardless of NA or not. but the idea is nice :)

yeah, the torque is impressive. umm, what if i turbocharge a 4age? instead of using the superchargers? or is it advisable to just get the 4agze one shot? was thinking the turbo would be upgradable or something.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom