Clarkson FUELS the debate

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my
When the oil supplies run out, will we have to scrap our cars? Will civilisation collapse? Not likely

And so, Porsche has turbocharged the new 911, Ferrari has introduced an 800bhp Enzo, Aston is beavering away with its new DBS and, imminently, Mercedes is expected to announce plans for a new collaboration with McLaren.

The message is clear. As fast as politicians wrap the motor industry up with noise, emission and safety red tape, car designers are unravelling the constraints with more and more power.

No really. We already have a 240bhp Golf. That's twice as much as we were given 20 years ago and if that rate of change keeps going, people learning to drive today will finish their career in a family hatchback with 1,000bhp under the bonnet. Nice.

We've already got family saloons with 500bhp to play with. That's 100 more than Jackie Stewart had when he won the F1 Championship in 1973. What's more, Mitsubishi can sell you a car that develops 200bhp per litre. And it's only 20 years since Daihatsu became the first car maker to sell a car with half that. We're on a roll, boys. And I'm loving it.

However, some say this is nothing more than a last hurrah before the oil runs out, that the engineers are having one last party with their outdated 19th-century toy box before they're forced by circumstance to put down their petrol and pick up some potato peelings instead.

The most recent scare story suggests that the world's supply of oil, gas and coal will be exhausted in about 30 years' time. And if that's true, there's no doubt the big car makers are being irresponsible, gorging on the fat of the land now when they know full well a famine is just around the corner. Only an imbecile would do that.

There's plenty of evidence to suggest it's true. At present, people in the Third World use half a gigajoule of energy a year, compared to the average American, who gets through 300 gigajoules. And 40 burgers. But as we keep being told, it's not the 'Third World' any more. It's the 'developing world', and that's where the problems lie.

If China and India increase their consumption to just a tenth of the US average, they could suck Arabia dry in about 15 minutes. This would plunge the world into the Dark Ages. Or worse. Sociologists tell us that when the oil starts to go, nation will fight nation for the last few drops, and the social order will disintegrate.

They may have a point. When we had that trivial fuel shortage 18 months ago, people formed disorderly queues outside garages, waiting with fists clenched and blood vessels fit to burst as the chap in front filled his tank, and then his washer bottle and then his trousers pockets with petrol.
Imagine that on a global scale. Imagine if there were no trucks to deliver food to the supermarket and you knew that your neighbour had 300 tins of baked beans stashed away in his basement. Would you watch your children starve or would you pop round and shoot him in the face?

Same goes with power. You'll have your nose pressed to the gates at Sellafield begging for a cup of electricity to run your kid's iron lung. But they won't be able to help because, back in 2005, all the eco-mentalists told them that nuclear energy wasn't green.

Eventually, when every candle had been burned, and every tin of beans consumed, we'd be back in 1550, using beads to buy chickens. And dying three times a day from diphtheria and rabies. Death, famine and disease all topped off with a light sprinkling of nuclear holocaust. And it's all Porsche's fault for turbocharging the 911.

Unfortunately, the people who tell us these things tend to be card-carrying lunatics with an agenda. They're the ones who were chained to the fence outside Greenham Common, saying atomic war with Russia was inevitable, and that if the Earth's climate changes - something it has done since the dawn of time - we'll all drown.

They're the ones who see only bad in the world. The ones who lie in fields of gold on glorious summer days, complaining about the distant hum of traffic. The ones who see a corporate conspiracy at the bottom of every packet of crisps.

Life has usually dealt them a handful of low clubs and diamonds. How many good-looking women did you see at Greenham? And because everything turned out so badly, they want to change the system. That's why they want us to cycle to work and adopt a fox - because it brings us down to their level, not because the oil's running out. Because it isn't.
Eventually, when every candle had been burned, and every tin of beans consumed, we'd be back in 1550, using beads to buy chickens. And dying three times a day from diphtheria and rabies. Death, famine and disease all topped off with a light sprinkling of nuclear holocaust. And it's all Porsche's fault for turbocharging the 911.

Unfortunately, the people who tell us these things tend to be card-carrying lunatics with an agenda. They're the ones who were chained to the fence outside Greenham Common, saying atomic war with Russia was inevitable, and that if the Earth's climate changes - something it has done since the dawn of time - we'll all drown.

They're the ones who see only bad in the world. The ones who lie in fields of gold on glorious summer days, complaining about the distant hum of traffic. The ones who see a corporate conspiracy at the bottom of every packet of crisps.

Life has usually dealt them a handful of low clubs and diamonds. How many good-looking women did you see at Greenham? And because everything turned out so badly, they want to change the system. That's why they want us to cycle to work and adopt a fox - because it brings us down to their level, not because the oil's running out. Because it isn't.
In fact, don't worry about anything because, when the chips are down, man always finds a way. With no power tools at all, we survived the last Ice Age. Without the benefit of aspirin, we came through the great plague. And since then we've conquered space and developed the Rice Krispie.

You think bird flu's going to wipe us out? Well, I wouldn't count on it because somewhere, right now, a nerd with a white coat and pipette is figuring out how it can be beaten. And it'll be another nerd, a few centuries from now, who finds a way to power cars using the sun's ultraviolet light.
And when the sun runs out, we'll get on a space ship and go somewhere else. Or build another one.

The message, then, really is clear. If you want a 911 turbo, and I must say it does look rather good, buy one. In fact, you can buy whatever car you want. Not an Audi Q7, though. I drove one in Norway recently and it seemed to be rubbish. And a rubbish car, I'm afraid, is a waste of petrol.

imoloq

1,000 RPM
Nov 1, 2005
LOL Clarkson always like to go the long way to make his point.

Petrol finish in 30 years? I thought the last estimate was 50+ years?

encikmasen

Known Member
Jul 8, 2005
Bangi
typical clarkson's reaction for the enviromentalist comments..i like the part when he say taht the enviromentalist didnt hav a great life and force other ppl to be like them..

n i remember in topgear ep.4, he says, whats the different if between toyota prius and a ford mustang with its engine turn off when they stuck in a traffic jam..its just the same..

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Hah, typical Jeremy Clarkson article. Nice to read, but only just to read and forget.

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
imoloq said:
LOL Clarkson always like to go the long way to make his point.

Petrol finish in 30 years? I thought the last estimate was 50+ years?
yep 30 years, and i read that few years ago -__-... last time 30 years.. now still 30 years.. hmm..

anyway, tom ford goes to japan and tested out the new hydrogen car right? i'm not saying it will be an instant success, but come to think of it. when petrol ran out, all cars that still runs on the street will have no emision, either use electric or hydrogen, or maybe natural gas.

depend on how old are you, and how long you gonna live, i don' t think we will live long enough to see the depletetion of natural gas, unless every petroleum consuming product switch to natural gas lar.. as i know, we still have 70 years of natural gas but 30 years of petroleum

no need worry about electricity, even if you say hydro damp should not be build, there is still enough coal in the coal reserve for 300 years, well, might be poluting but humans do everything to survive right?

i'm not really worry about petrol finishing, cuz after 30 years, we will be like 50-60 years old, jeremy will need to put on his alarm wristband to remind him what he's doing if he still can do it.. and who knows what technology will come out. by the time fuel ran out i don't think i'll be interested in cars anymore.. i wan go up to the mountains to live the life of a hermit...

Grixism

Known Member
Mar 11, 2005
KLTN/VIRGINIA
Visit site
emm...good points there roollakid
but i know someone in his mid 50 still playing with b16a, and it's freaking fast!
i think i wanna be like that...

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
Grixism said:
emm...good points there roollakid
but i know someone in his mid 50 still playing with b16a, and it's freaking fast!
i think i wanna be like that...
you might be drooling over some microfusion powered hot rod by that time.. probably..

alexklg

4,000 RPM
Feb 13, 2006
www.zerotohundred.com
It is always very entertaining reading or watching Jeremy's antiques. Always been a fan of Top Gear. And i also love the way he teases the short guy (can't remember all of a sudden). Ohh.... Richard... hahaha... just remembered.. anyway, it is very entertaining to watch them play around with cars... so much better than the dull Fifth Gear.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Honestly, i'd never buy a car based on Jeremy Clarkson's program. His review should not be taken seriously. However, i find Top Gear extremely entertaining, nothing more than that.

Grixism

Known Member
Mar 11, 2005
KLTN/VIRGINIA
Visit site
very very entertaining mostly when he sent a car to hell...did u all see what he have done to perodua kelisa?thats entertaining...

jeremy is biased and he is damn tall!

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
alexklg said:
It is always very entertaining reading or watching Jeremy's antiques. Always been a fan of Top Gear. And i also love the way he teases the short guy (can't remember all of a sudden). Ohh.... Richard... hahaha... just remembered.. anyway, it is very entertaining to watch them play around with cars... so much better than the dull Fifth Gear.
i use to think that too, but after the last 2 season of fifth gear, i started to like fifth gear abit more as a proper car show, but still like topgear for entertainment, overall i like both the same for now, will swing to fifth gear if things stays the same.

fifth gear's 5 presenter:
- one veteran racer who drifts well
- one young racer who drifts well
- one female racer cum driving instructor who drives better than me
- tom!! nuff said..
- john bently, consumer oriented, i like his section the most.

top gear's presenter:
- one never speaks
- one chew card board
- one still lives in the 70's
- one have fleas
- one is on a leash.

seriously topgear is just an entertainment program, and richard is getting better at sliding than jeremy. captain slow getting faster. and i'm getting abit bored of jeremy's jokes. seriously i like james may tho.. he's more serious, kinda balanced the show abit.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
That's why James is there.

I think they are allright. Don't take them too seriously. They are great fun.

5th Gear is now trying too much to be Top Gear. There are certain things I wish they didn't try to do. Cause it is quite obvious who they are trying to immitate.

And before you folks start knocking Clarkson's credentials again, do try to understand that the man has been driving and road testing and reviewing and writing about cars before some of us are born. He is capable of writing very good objective reviews about cars, when he wants to. You have to understand the man is a very opinionated bloke and very outspoken. He will tell you as it is, what he thinks, with a healthy dose of exageration of course. He doesn't go with considered and balanced views. All the reasons why I have utmost respect for the man.

Last edited:

encikmasen

Known Member
Jul 8, 2005
Bangi
i kinda agree with silverfish...fifth gear for me is like topgear years ago..straight forward car reviews, which nowadays we can find such things in a car magazines..

IMO, tv show must be somehow informative yet entertaining..and that's why i love to watch topgear..its true sometimes clarkson is just irritating, arrogant and 'stuck in the 70's' petrolhead, but he's the entertaining part of topgear..and sometimes he's informative too..

alexklg

4,000 RPM
Feb 13, 2006
www.zerotohundred.com
Yeah, Ffith gear is more... erm... consumer based? every episode they give away cars! they are damn blardy rich.... but as i said, Top Gear is much more entertaining.. they always do outrageous stuff and also very humourous... I always look forward to Monday night to watch it... (Top Gear airs on Sunday, local time and i'll let my comp d/l it monday morning when i go to work) It always get rid of my monday blues...

ehaab

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2005
Malaysia
LEt me say it again..its the Fault of Turbocharging the 911....

butthead

2,000 RPM
Aug 12, 2004
if Porsche were to higher Clarkson to promote their cars... even WHO, WWF and any other health, environmental organization officials would be persuaded to buy a 911...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Trying something new here guys, especially for those who haven't been following our social channels. I've been getting plenty of questions on YouTube especially regarding manual shifting H&T etc so I was thinking of compiling them here or creating a series of post revolving on driving topics

I hope this helps anyone searching for answers on footwork and such, let's dicuss

I'll start with this one:
How to Shift Quicker

View attachment 572362

View attachment 572361 ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience