Cheap Mods For 4G93 SGTI

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Hi, I have a SGTI looking for cheap mods.
This is a suggestion made by a workshop.
I am still trying to understand whether this is a cheap solution.

Replace 1.8 Pistons with 1.6 Pistons as 1.6 pistons share the same bore size as a 1.8. A 1.8 has a longer stroke.
Rationale
1.6 Pistons share the same bore as 1.8 pistons, but 1.6 pistons have higher compression compared with 1.8 pistons (Possible ah!)
Skim the head again to increase compression.

Total mod cost: RM1,000

Expensive Solution
Change original 1.8 pistons for high compression racing pistons - RM3800 for a set of 4
Skim the head
Total Mod cost: RM5000

Has anyone tried the 1st cheap mod.
James

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
for approximately RM4k, you are better off with mild cams upgrade, adjustable cam pulleys and e-manage blue + tuning.

oly

500 RPM
Jan 19, 2004
Lumut
Visit site
Hi, I have a SGTI looking for cheap mods.
This is a suggestion made by a workshop.
I am still trying to understand whether this is a cheap solution.

Replace 1.8 Pistons with 1.6 Pistons as 1.6 pistons share the same bore size as a 1.8. A 1.8 has a longer stroke.
Rationale
1.6 Pistons share the same bore as 1.8 pistons, but 1.6 pistons have higher compression compared with 1.8 pistons (Possible ah!)
Skim the head again to increase compression.

Total mod cost: RM1,000

Expensive Solution
Change original 1.8 pistons for high compression racing pistons - RM3800 for a set of 4
Skim the head
Total Mod cost: RM5000

Has anyone tried the 1st cheap mod.
James
me friend oledi done the 1st mod...quite ok...no need to skim head...plus change new main bearing to acl aluglide n port n polish will cost u around 2k with metal gasket...

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
For the 2nd option for RM5k, better do engine rebuild
PNP, cams, pistons, balancing everything kao tim. If got balance, go for ECU

4G93NAPower

Known Member
Nov 23, 2008
Penang
4G92p Piston
0.4mm metal head gasket
walbro fuel pump
fuel regulator
power zone 4-2-1
GSR manifold
mivec throttle body
e-manage

no need to go for high compression racing piston bro, with the mods above you can easily gain 125whp+-

Last edited:

joe_mirage

1,000 RPM
May 7, 2006
rotationperminute.blogspot.com
option 1 is good enough =D .. if u can add some more than get a pair of high performance camshaft (regrind).

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Hi bros, thanks for your reply, just back.
But how do you tune the original Siemens VDO,
Option 1. looks workable
The other issue, if you put in a new MIVEC throttle body, can the Siemens VDO support this.

kayour

Known Member
Apr 5, 2006
i dun think so
mmc and vdo cannot mix...unles u change all wiring and ecu

/spent 4 a gud suspension/ adj abs and tyre 2 :burnout:

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Just an update, I have put in a regrinded Mar Speed 272 cam.
Initially had idling problems but since solve. Idling is about 1300 but ocassionally drops to 900But it does not die out like the last time.
Engine looks like running lean.
I want to change my shitty Siemens VDO wiring for MMC, ie about RM1500 and then I can easily find a reflash ECU to match my cams.
Anyone using a regrinded Matspeed Cam, my workshop RS, has a bad hsitory with Matspeed cams where the whole assembly falls out. As you know< to fit a Matspeed cam, you need shims, and the Cam angle is slightly out. No I am not an engineer, but this same cam in my friends GTI drop out during qualifying.
In conjuncture with changing to MMC wiring, I will put in a 1.6 pistons to raise the compression to have better torque.
But power without control is useless, the next is the Mivec gearbox with a competition LSD.
So off to HPC today to see whether 272 cam will improve my lousy timing.

nurburing

Known Member
Feb 21, 2010
Penang
i think option 1 + pnp will be enough. this will improve your low end engine torque and respond. very good for hillclimb.

highcam with wider power range however will further improve your 0-100kmh, and 0-160kmh, if you remove your revcut by revving up to 8000rpm (this will improve your 2nd n 3rd gear usage to pull longer)

oly

500 RPM
Jan 19, 2004
Lumut
Visit site
Just an update, I have put in a regrinded Mar Speed 272 cam.
Initially had idling problems but since solve. Idling is about 1300 but ocassionally drops to 900But it does not die out like the last time.
Engine looks like running lean.
I want to change my shitty Siemens VDO wiring for MMC, ie about RM1500 and then I can easily find a reflash ECU to match my cams.
Anyone using a regrinded Matspeed Cam, my workshop RS, has a bad hsitory with Matspeed cams where the whole assembly falls out. As you know< to fit a Matspeed cam, you need shims, and the Cam angle is slightly out. No I am not an engineer, but this same cam in my friends GTI drop out during qualifying.
In conjuncture with changing to MMC wiring, I will put in a 1.6 pistons to raise the compression to have better torque.
But power without control is useless, the next is the Mivec gearbox with a competition LSD.
So off to HPC today to see whether 272 cam will improve my lousy timing.
u need to change throttle body,tr unit,coil,cam sensor@distributor,airflow to run mmc wiring...u need aroung rm 2.5k for all the item including wiring,ecu n workmanship...knock sensor too...

why go for 81mm piston?..go for 82mm piston la bro...from 4g92...my mechanic use normal trim piston for our drag car...and our car still fast...

my mechanic using mat speed cam...and hes good with it...

u want lsd?..i got one for sale...semi lock lsd from mivec gearbox...rm1000 nett...can use normal drive shaft...

jamesweh

Known Member
Dec 10, 2005
Thanks for your information on the list of items I have to change before I move into the Mitsuibishi wiring plus ECU.
RM2,500 is pretty expensive for almost very little result.
So I will stick to the Siemens VDO for now.
My workshop RS, quoted about 5K for a Haltech conversion.
Idling is still lumpy and I would not drive it for daily use.
272 Cams on track is useful and unlike before on the straight I can now hit 180kmh as oppose to previously only about 170kmh.
My next project is to change the clutch.
My workshop is recomending Exedy, I thought of trying a Works Engineering Clutch.
Must push the distributor to sell lower in view that it is untested.
Also, I will buy a semi slick like 888, Archiles or Federal.
My slicks are a pain, it takes about 2 laps to warm up.
I still cannot gauge the grip levels, and when it lets go, its very sudden.
Anyway, I will miss the 23/05 open track day as I am travelling.
So, I have another 1 more month to prepare the car.
June will have alot of practise sessions, as competitors will be testing their cars for the Sepang 1000.

oly

500 RPM
Jan 19, 2004
Lumut
Visit site
Thanks for your information on the list of items I have to change before I move into the Mitsuibishi wiring plus ECU.
RM2,500 is pretty expensive for almost very little result.
So I will stick to the Siemens VDO for now.
My workshop RS, quoted about 5K for a Haltech conversion.
Idling is still lumpy and I would not drive it for daily use.
272 Cams on track is useful and unlike before on the straight I can now hit 180kmh as oppose to previously only about 170kmh.
My next project is to change the clutch.
My workshop is recomending Exedy, I thought of trying a Works Engineering Clutch.
Must push the distributor to sell lower in view that it is untested.
Also, I will buy a semi slick like 888, Archiles or Federal.
My slicks are a pain, it takes about 2 laps to warm up.
I still cannot gauge the grip levels, and when it lets go, its very sudden.
Anyway, I will miss the 23/05 open track day as I am travelling.
So, I have another 1 more month to prepare the car.
June will have alot of practise sessions, as competitors will be testing their cars for the Sepang 1000.
but on mmc u will get better response...
i can recommended u a workshop at shah alam...272 is actually cam be tune to be almost no lump and can be on the road use...
works eh?..new brand and still no review from other..maybe u better go for exedy...
btw i got 2 new federal rsr 195/50/15 for rm 330 per piece...late 08 tires...brand new...avoid archiles...it suck...