Camry 2.2 (A) Year 1996

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

andy_lka

500 RPM
Hi all,

Thank you for reading my threads.

i'm trying to get a 2nd hand camry year 96. ( not now, mayb 3 months later, after price revision)

Personally, i need u guys to give some opinion on this car.

Perhaps, some of u guys here, have an experience with this car, or owned before.,so it';s good, that you guys can provide me something bout this car.

Another option of mine will be the Ceffiro 96 2.0.....

What you guys think?

but, hope you all gimme some ideam n not flamming each other here....

thank you,...

cheers!

camry 96 or technically known as SXV10 is actually a good buy considering its big size and sheer luxury and comfort. not the most comfortable sedan, but even proton has yet to come to such level.

only one model available locally which was the SXV10R (R for right hand drive) and powered by the 5S 2.2 straight fours from the famous S series engine which also powers the Corona ST171, the RAV4 and MR2 SXA20.

very 1st model in 1994 was either SXV10R-DEMEK (for manual) or SXV10R-DEPEK for auto. i strongly advise not to buy these because it doesnt come with ABS.

for additional few thousand RM, get the facelifted 1995 SXV10R-DEPEKQ which comes with ABS and better looks. these Camrys are actually very 'manja' and they required serious attention in maintenance esspecially the automatic transmission.

many owners thrashed and treated their cars wrongly, then sold it off for a newer car. and its the next buyer who suffers (ppl like us).

very common with used and thrashed Camrys are
1. automatic transmission that lagged or suffered from delays.
2. faulty driveshafts (they come with ABS pick up sensors which make the price high).
3. worn engine mountings
4. badly maintained cooling system. see radiator top casing for signs of cracks. change immediately if needed so.

here are the plus points though
1. soft suspension make long journey trips non tiring unlike Honda Accord SV4. BUT, Camrys cant turn in corners as sharp as SV4 Accords due to same reason.
2. Stabil upon high speed drive and braking.
3. if timing belt snapped, engine can be use back - advantages of Toyota's 16 valve engines.
4. not popular amongst car thieves.

other minus points
1. too big for size.
2. spare parts not easy to get, what more non - genuine. be prepared to fork out more money from ur ATMs becoz they are not that cheap also.
3. engines sounds rough during idle, clatter like a diesel but that is a characteristic for every S family engines - thats normal but embarassing

my personal advice - get the owner to prove his record of service. if his service book says the car is maintained at UMW Toyota, then go for it even though u pay more than market average. its worth it and u do know the previous history.

Last edited:
Zan, seems like u know a lot about Toyotas. Are u working at Toyota as well. If so, me too.

hi bro,
my dad owns the same model camry from 1996 till now..
the condition is still perfect..engine mounting very nice even though is 10 years old..canot even feel any vibration inside the car.. absorbers he just changed it after using for 10 years. the fuel consumption is very good also according to my dad.. i think he loves his car so much that he is reluctant to sell it.. anyway gud luck in buying ur car:regular_smile: cheers..

Really appreciate for what u guys (SiFu ) here has helped me!

very good information esp from Zan!

you r rite, the 94 model doesn;t comes with abs as I've checked on the used car there...

Btw, Zan, r u driving the same model as well??/

Very good info u hv! haha!!!

if u guys out there have more info, pls keep on posting, so tat we can share with each other!

thank you!

lantis-ing said:
hi bro,
my dad owns the same model camry from 1996 till now..
the condition is still perfect..engine mounting very nice even though is 10 years old..canot even feel any vibration inside the car.. absorbers he just changed it after using for 10 years. the fuel consumption is very good also according to my dad.. i think he loves his car so much that he is reluctant to sell it.. anyway gud luck in buying ur car:regular_smile: cheers..

hi lantis-ing,

thanks for ur info, but u were saying that the FC is very good?

wow, this should be a big plus point for me!

u know wut, i;ve checked that most camry, after they hv use bout 10 yrs, they still stick to the same original engine....

wow, no wonder ppl always say, toyota made to last long............

how bout the cabin?> is the cabin quiet enuf??

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 1208010" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Fluffy</TD><TD class=alt2>wow...shox that last 10 years?does he drive a lot?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
my dad did drive alot.. he travels from kuantan to kl every weekend as he is working in kuantan.. i think the car clock about 250000km till now if im not mistaken.. frakly speaking this car is damn good..
how bout the cabin?> is the cabin quiet enuf??
about the cabin its very quiet and vibrationless when u engage the D not like the usual automatic cars that will jerk or vibrate abit..
it is really comfortable crusing on highway.. my dad is currently using DUNLOP Le Mans tires and i think thats very good as well..

Top Bottom