Buying a Lancer Evo?

ariel

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2005
...thanks Leslie for the info...will looks around to get 1...thanks again!

leslie

2,000 RPM
Aug 14, 2004
you can try at cheras auto city at the autoextreme.. look for allan.

sulkyb

Known Member
Sep 11, 2006
dewa lavau,

hey bro how was the unreg unit u test drove? was it good? i just want yr opinion so I know wht to expect from other unreg units?
from the experience u think the car had any faults? any squeaky noises? drive shaft gt prob perhaps, streering problems? suspension? u know lah if go to the used car tat fellas sure tell u the car in tiptop cond. after bout 2-3 mths everything koyak! but thats 2nd hand car i guess lar........they say they import from japan sure 100% acc free and other items in perfect cond. hmmmm true ah?

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

Kind Regards

DewA_LavaU

1,500 RPM
Jan 11, 2004
Bintulu
helo bro.

to answer ur question ermm actually that was my 1st time driving an evo (ever).perhaps u can seek advice from most of our MLOC evo owner here esp from mr P itself,leslie or others coz i'm not the right person u can ask for (me super super noobie mahhh dun have dat so-called experience hehehe).both E7 unreg at chris that day is already sold but there is one registered E7 (silver if not mistaken) mileage around 70k.if u really2 serious perhaps bring leslie lah then treat him a big big yummy2 dinner (and dun forget me os lahh hahahaha :P)

Soundstream

1,500 RPM
May 2, 2004
NR MY
Visit site
Perhaps i advise here is, even though the sales person is so patient/nice and watsoever. A VERYVERY careful check on the car he sell is a MUST. If possible, get a evo memberSsS and test drive/check everything especially the engine bay/if can jack up the car !!coz he know nothing about CT9A.

Dun get fools by saleperson !

leslie

2,000 RPM
Aug 14, 2004
MI,
waaaahhh.. upgrading ah bro? hehehehehe i smell a mivec turbo!!!

Lord Pheonix

Known Member
Apr 15, 2004
KL
Guys,
Do you know anyone selling his evo5? currently looking for it. PM me if any. Thanks.

BTW, do you guys happen to know on what is the common problem with evo series and especially on evo5?
thanks again.

leslie

2,000 RPM
Aug 14, 2004
lord pheonix,
all evos got no problems unless the car comes with problem!!! or when modding / installation (not installed nicely).. but the biggest PROBLEM is when petrol and toll prices goes up!!!...lolz

Lord Pheonix

Known Member
Apr 15, 2004
KL
thanks,
but reffering from 1st page, it mentioned that most evos have problems with transmission, sooner or later.... if it does, how to detect it quickly to reduce the damage impact, or to minimize repairing cost?

Cannonfodder

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
Mitsubishi makes pretty lousy gearboxes, but that doesn't mean that they're destined for failure. The W5M51 that comes with the E5 is prone to notchiness when the gearbox fluid is cold, but other than that, there aren't any major issues with it.

Because the Evo makes a lot of torque, poor shifting habits can also quickly demolish your gearbox. Take care to shift precisely and deliberately to prevent mashing your gears and the box should last you the lifetime of the car if you maintain it properly. Power-shifting is a surefire way to find bits of gears and synchros when you drain your gearbox. NEVER powershift with an Evo unless you have a built 'box.

The V and VI also has potential issues with broken front differential bolts, but that's a small price to pay as it means that you also get a front limited slip diff. The bolts are cheap but the labour to replace them is not, as you have to drop your entire front end.

Manual gearboxes are pretty straightforward. If the gears crunch or baulk during shifting, the synchros are gone. Notchiness is fine, but crunching is never good. Popping out of gears means worn gear teeth.

Other than that, most gear-related problems can be attributed to the clutch, of which the Evo has a truly pathetic one. Slipping, gear selection difficulty, in-gear creep, judder, etc. are all problems with the clutch or clutch adjustment. Though easier to treat, it is by no means a cheap solution. Evo clutches are some of the most expensive around, inch for inch.

Hope this helps and good luck with finding a good V.

Ali_G

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
K.lumpur
Visit site
Hi all,

I am also searching for evo 7. Today i when up to one used cars next to BMW show room & Ford Show room at Jalan Ampang. There 1 unreg. evo7, yellow colour. Price offer is RM155k (no yet nego)

Anyone of u guys knowing the background of the car's ?

very hard to find unreg. evo 7... :(

Cannonfodder

Known Member
Feb 15, 2006
No worries, dude. Just teasing only :)

Good luck with your hunt. And hope you find a decent one. If you expand your search to include registered cars, you'll find a whole lot more to choose from.

Unregistered is nice cos you get to choose your own number, but is no guarantee that the car has been well-cared for by its previous owner. So unless you desperately want your own number, don't get so hung up on unreg. cars.

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Some maintainance tips from Ralliart UK for Evos:

Service Guidelines [Evolution IV – IX] from Ralliart UK

EVERY 4,500 MILES OR 6 MONTHS
1. Check operation of all exterior lights
2. Check condition of wiper blades
3. Check auxiliary drive belts for damage/tension
4. Replenish washer fluid level
5. Replenish inter-cooler spray system
6. Check break line for leaks
7. Check rear differential oil level
8. Replace AYC fluids [diffs + reservoir]
9. Replace engine oil [fully synthetic oil only]
10. Replace engine oil filter
11. Check brake pads/discs for wear
12. Check tyres for damage/wear
13. Check/reset engine idle speed

EVERY 9,000 MILES OR 12 MONTHS
1. Check all turbo hoses for damage and security
2. Check condition of the air filter
3. Check cooling system for leaks
4. Check brake/clutch fluid levels
5. Check battery levels. Replenish were necessary
6. Check f/r suspension for damage and security
7. Check steering system for damage and security
8. Check gearbox oil level
9. Check transfer box oil level
10. Check brake/clutch pedals for travel/adjustment
11. Check/adjust hand brake travel
12. Swap tyres front to rear [if required]
13. Check condition of body

EVERY 18,000 MILES OR 24 MONTHS
1. Replace brake fluid
2. Replace air filter
3. Replace coolant. Check system for leaks
4. Check HT leads
5. Check drive shafts and gaiters
6. Check fuel pipes for damage and security

EVERY 45,000 MILES OR 60 MONTHS
1. Replace timing belts A and B
2. Replace spark plugs
3. Replace fuel filter
4. Check secondary air system hoses for leaks
5. Check crankcase control system/pipes

EVERY SERVICE
Carry out a full road test to check correct operation of all systems

Use this onli as a guide line or references...

:_:

harpoon

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
shah alam n amp
Re: Buying an Lancer Evo?

thanks,
but reffering from 1st page, it mentioned that most evos have problems with transmission, sooner or later.... if it does, how to detect it quickly to reduce the damage impact, or to minimize repairing cost?
how about the evo7 gearbox, does it has problem like the evo5 as mentioned looooong before?? just wanna ask a lil, still doing my research and look see look see before deciding.... thanx a lot sifus...

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur

harpoon,

Hvnt heard much abt E7 gearbox problem til date from our members... Actually it depends alot on the driver too, the way he drive n the way he uses the gearbox!!! If hardcore driving all the time, wear & tear faster than other who always drive carefully n slowly...

harpoon

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
shah alam n amp

thanx s9

the gearbox gotto be good then i guess. after around 7 years after manufacture without much complain, then i think if i get one, i dun have to worry much.

even so, if there's problem, what kind of problem owner may face n is it expensive to rectify it. how about the acd and ayc, does it last long?? i know it depends on how you handle it and how you maintain, say if i maintain it as what the manufacturer suggest and some trackdays + street play once in a while, will it reliable and all....

thanx bro's

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur

harpoon,

If u maintain it nicely according to the plan, u'll b ok... Regular maintainance r very important for a car like Evo, especially lubricant & oils...

As for AYC, on & off i heard there were problems such as the lights all 'on' at the same time... But no worry, its not expansive to rectify it... I forgot what caused the problem as i cant re-call... Mayb other members can give u some ideas on this...

Evo is a very reliable car if u take care of it nicely... Its cheaper to maintain as compare to BMW & Merc... Of cause u cant put it with Wira & Myvi la... Diff league, no disrespect!!!

Make sure u get a healthy car, then u shld b ok n wil b enjoying the car very much!!! :biggrin:

cannondale>

1,500 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
kepong

The BIGGEST problem is u will be pokai after getting the evo. Because there will be so many nice item to put in yur car later. :biggrin:

harpoon

500 RPM
Jan 9, 2005
shah alam n amp

quite true cannondale..... u can open any local or intl car magz n there's so many stuffs i can put in, either in the engine, drivetrain or cockpit..... al big racun one

s9, in that case, when i'm out looking for it can i get u to teman me around, can be the adviser + get perks, can try those cars in the shop + i belanja u makan2.... heheheh, if i really wanna go down this road, i need lotsa advice and expert view, me noobs with turbo, but vtec can can la....

thanx bro

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur

harpoon,

If u need advise, no pro... V got a member who own a work shop at Happy Garden, Old Klang Road, he can mayb teman u for the car inspection!!! Cos he did so to others too... Hehehe... Me a bit tough, working most of the time... But u can always let me know when u r viewing the car... Mayb v can intro our dealer to u oso... Things can b arranged no pro la, no cant guarantee 100% free to teman ya!!!

Yeah, Cannon is right... Too many things to b added onto our car, be it performance stuffs or bodykits... I think dump in rm100k oso not enough!!! LoLzzzzzzzzzz...

Happy Hunting!!! :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear DIY sifus,

I bought 1 autometer afr meter. try to get sigal from the o2 sensor but didn't get a single reading. it shows all the way lean. am i getting the right wire? i hook up to a wire of 1 of the sensor near the turbo manifold. there's 2 wire, 1 is white and the other one is black. both came out same result.

hope sifus here can help out on this.

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience