brake got sound

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
my brake got sound when i didn step on it..erm..i just change to l2 brake disc rotor and caliper. got some eeeeeeee sound when my car running...but when i apply brake, even just a little, the brake wont sound anymore..anyone know y?

vantageX

Known Member
Apr 29, 2006
Your pads are rubbing against your disc even without the brakes applied. Were the discs and calipers new or 2nd hand?

Don't skim your discs if they are new. There's no point in removing material from a good disc and shorten its life span because of a slight problem in your calipers or pads.

If your disc and calipers are new, check that your mechanic installed the right pads and have you bedded your pads in yet?

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
both are used unit..pad still got 6mm...erm...but just now i drive my car dun have sound....the sound come when i go genting yesterday..on the way go genting and back...but not today..and when i first install, no sound..on the half way go genting, then got sound..maybe heat problem? but it still bite when i apply brake...

i dun feel like to skim the disc..bad experience...last time skim my ori disc and it come bad...worst then b4...cos i always highspeed braking, then i choose the l2 dual layer brake disc...it's good but just the sound i mention...

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
maybe when u went up 2 genting that time, the disc heat up pretty badly as well as the pads that it actualy expand that it start to have slight contact... that is a very big IF... i have no idea if that is possible... just some thinking.. should check if the space between ur disc n the pads are wide enough

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
yeah yeah... most probably ur pads are touching the disc... check the calipers and pads if it touches... if not, might be some bearing issue... check the bearings also...

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
erm, i think pad and disc are always touching each other ? u try jack up ur car and rotate the wheel..ur brake disc sure got a little contact with ur pad..erm..just my though..

kelvin_dawson

Jan 21, 2006
My last encounter problem same as mention that got d eeeeeee sound when car running. Since i so long nvr skim my disc, so i went to skim my disc n change the brake pads together. As a result, the sound is gone. But later on, the sound come backs. So my fren advice me to change the brake fluid coz tht time i was using DOT 3. According to him, the sound mayb cause by brake fluid. So he ask me to change to DOT4 and end up i change it. Now the problem solve.

vantageX

Known Member
Apr 29, 2006
Don't see why going up Genting would create a problem. The only thing that goes up in terms of heat is engine temperature, the brakes rarely come into play when going up unless you're going up fast and braking hard for every turn. Coming down from Genting would heat up the brakes tremendously...especially if you get stuck behind some stupid tour bus...grrr....

Could be the bearings though bearing noises usually come when the car is under load like going up a hill or something similar.

For a minute there I couldn't understand why the change from DOT3 to DOT4 would make a difference but then it occured to me, brake fluid which hasn't been changed for ages will have some water in it and this could cause the calipers to stick slightly and make the pads rub up against the disc.

Sometimes skimming the disc and changing the pads will cure a noise problem for awhile and then the sound comes back. Could be the above brake fluid reason or calipers which aren't mounted properly and slightly off and after awhile the uneveness causes the pads to rub unevenly against the disc wearing each other out.

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
erm....i think is the caliper out align..cos the sound only got when i travel long distance...the brake disc and brake pad heat up and cause them touching each other..will ask my mech to check it again..thanks for the input guys...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
the brakes are design slightly touching the disk. This is called the floating brake sys. (or was it non-floating sys?). Anyway, check the retaining pins, and the spring plate that hold the brake pads. If the pins/plate is missing, there is a posibility your brake pad is not alligned with the disk, thus causing the strange noise....

BTW, when u press the brake pedal while the car moving, do you feel the shudder on your foot??

vantageX

Known Member
Apr 29, 2006
Eh? No. Guessing you're talking about the floating caliper system? Even with floating or fix calipers there is no design where the brakes touch the discs cause for one it would be false economy and introduce drag to a car thus increasin fuel consumption and wear and tear.

The floating caliper system actually guides the caliper to allign with the disc thus eliminating the problem of a misaligned caliper/disc combo. The only problem with this design is that after awhile it can start sticking and not allign anymore. The fixed system on the other hand has 2 pads moving and stopping the disc instead of one pad and the caliper moving like the floating system.

You're right on the pins/plate thing though and that should be checked.

howiechoo

8,000 RPM
Jul 25, 2004
Bukit Jalil
which pin u all talking abour? erm, can i diy to check wat prob? any one can guide me?

JOEFTO

Apr 18, 2006
little piece of plate that hold u r pad,
u can diy that one...

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

'(00): No man should ever see the pathetic sight of his Supercar, injured by the sidewalk. Even less a barely-year-old LP570-4 Superleggera (The Latest GSL mind you) Reasons for cause aside, this wrecked exotic was seen half on and off the curb with it's passenger-side front substantially defaced and also missing a front wheel...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience