assist me to buy awesome compact camera..

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

zul_klasik

Known Member
Hi ZTH members,

I have a question, as im not a 'pro' in compact camera matters.
I want to buy a high mp and high zoom travel compact camera.
My budget is below rm1500.
But i dont want slr camera.
I already surf camera website such Digital Photography Review
But as i mention just now, im not a 'pro' in camera.
so please assist me to choose those compact camera in the list.
I want to buy those camera for oversea trip this April. :biggrin:
Hehehe..

Nikon :
coolpix s8200
coolpix s9100
coolpix s9200
coolpix s9300

or

Canon :
powershot sx230hs
powershot sx240hs
powershot sx260hs

ps : i really appriciate ur great comment/reply :biggrin:

Last edited:
None of those.

- Canon G5
- Panasonic Lumix LX5

Bro. Izso,
Canon G5 is 2003 model leh! I think discon already.....

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

But as i mention just now, im not a 'pro' in camera.
so please assist me to choose those compact camera in the list.
I want to buy those camera for oversea trip this April. :biggrin:
Hehehe..

ps : i really appriciate ur great comment/reply :biggrin:

I am more into DSLR, but I give you my 2 sens knowledge before you choose your camera.
Even though you mention you want high MP, that is not the best feature. I have compared some lower MP camera which takes better pictures because of faster lenses. So if you can get high MP with fast lens all the better, if not, go for faster lens with slightly lower MP, then high MP with slow lens.
For eg.
Powershot sx240hs - Maximum aperture F3.5 - F6.8
Panasonic Lumix LX5 - Maximum aperture F2.0 - F3.3

Not saying you should buy the Panasonic but giving an example. Further features, you may want are better optical zoom, maybe compact in size and so on.
So it all depends on individual preference.
For eg. I want good pics, that is why DLSR first choice, compact camera like G1 and if for my wife, she probably will go for the SX240HS so can put in her handbag.....:biggrin:

Bro. Izso,
Canon G5 is 2003 model leh! I think discon already.....

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

I am more into DSLR, but I give you my 2 sens knowledge before you choose your camera.
Even though you mention you want high MP, that is not the best feature. I have compared some lower MP camera which takes better pictures because of faster lenses. So if you can get high MP with fast lens all the better, if not, go for faster lens with slightly lower MP, then high MP with slow lens.
For eg.
Powershot sx240hs - Maximum aperture F3.5 - F6.8
Panasonic Lumix LX5 - Maximum aperture F2.0 - F3.3

Not saying you should buy the Panasonic but giving an example. Further features, you may want are better optical zoom, maybe compact in size and so on.
So it all depends on individual preference.
For eg. I want good pics, that is why DLSR first choice, compact camera like G1 and if for my wife, she probably will go for the SX240HS so can put in her handbag.....:biggrin:

ok
then
what ur suggestion for me?
many suggest me lumix lx5
hehehhe
i dont know about camera
i just based on ''numbers'' on the camera spect info
uhhuhuuh

Is hard to recommend as I mentioned up to one own priorities. The S100 mentioned by bro. eohl79 has a faster lens, but less optical zoom then the SX240HS, therefore you have to choose.....:biggrin:

Is hard to recommend as I mentioned up to one own priorities. The S100 mentioned by bro. eohl79 has a faster lens, but less optical zoom then the SX240HS, therefore you have to choose.....:biggrin:

Tot u expert wit tires but cameras as well..:adore:

Just pick those superzoom with 28x zoom. Lots of choices. But personally i'd pick S100 for that price.

Tot u expert wit tires but cameras as well..:adore:

Just happen to be another hobby of mine. I am into many things. Tyres, Car Mod, oil, auto maintenance etc., which are all in cars, but have been in photography too. Many years taking pics for friends and colleagues wedding especially, be it the dinner as well as Church, Indian Temple, Bersanding, Chinese wedding and so on.....ha! ha!
Can also talk on gardening, cooking, baking and makan makan places or can say Jack of all trade master of none.....kakakaka:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Just pick those superzoom with 28x zoom. Lots of choices. But personally i'd pick S100 for that price.

Yup, a long optical zoom is also good for travel, but with faster lens all good. Problem is, most of the time cannot get all these features into one camera.
Looks like S100 is highly recommended.....:biggrin:

ermm
seems like s100 more better than lx5
hehehe
thanks for reply me

ermm
seems like s100 more better than lx5
hehehe
thanks for reply me

If you are set on the S100, next thing is to visit the camera shop, ask for that camera, then fiddle with it. Since nowadays is digital, you can snap some pictures and view it. Handle it for size and features, and if all to your liking then only buy. If not, look for other camera.....:biggrin:

Can i recommend the Canon Powershot G12, should suit your budget. Zoom is far greater than S100. G12 has the same internals as the S95 the older version of s100 but with further zoom. Have been using the camera far 1 year and pictures are on par with entry level DSLR's .

Canon s100 is great but holding it when using flash is a bit awkward because the flash is popping out on the top left.

PowerShot G12 - Canon Malaysia - Personal

powershotg12-b1.png

Yup, G12 also good camera. My friend having the older G10, but this camera slightly bigger in size....

Agree with the G-series cameras. F2 on fixed lens is no joke!

LX5 is nice because of the Leica lens and the flexibility of add-on lenses and the cameras tiny size. Personally I think it's better than the Sony or Olympus equivalent.

But if it's a compact camera that can shoot awesome indoor and outdoor pictures without the hassle of small apertures, the Canon G-series camera is my preference. More than the S-series.

not sure why u need a super zoom. It is very sensitive to hand shake with the long zoom. Here are my comments for these cameras;
- LX5 gives you a wider lenses that you can capture more. High functionality which is close to an entry level SLR. But a bit back dated compare to S100 or Coolpix S9300
- Both S100 and S9300 is good camera. It is just brand preference.

Agree with the G-series cameras. F2 on fixed lens is no joke!

LX5 is nice because of the Leica lens and the flexibility of add-on lenses and the cameras tiny size. Personally I think it's better than the Sony or Olympus equivalent.

But if it's a compact camera that can shoot awesome indoor and outdoor pictures without the hassle of small apertures, the Canon G-series camera is my preference. More than the S-series.

You also know your stuff.....

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

not sure why u need a super zoom. It is very sensitive to hand shake with the long zoom. Here are my comments for these cameras;
- LX5 gives you a wider lenses that you can capture more. High functionality which is close to an entry level SLR. But a bit back dated compare to S100 or Coolpix S9300
- Both S100 and S9300 is good camera. It is just brand preference.

Super Zoom lens? It depends, if optical zoom still good, not digital zoom. As mentioned earlier, depends on once priorities whether to get super zoom, mega pixel or faster lens. Individual on travel, sight seeing will want super zoom. Taking indoor pics most of the time, then wide angle with fast lens will be best, and so on......:driver:

Canon S100 cheaper than G12. For me if go travel, I won't bother too much with super zoom (I guess you are talking about >10x magnification). Wide is better - take pictures of family with background, etc. Super zoom not needed most of the time. I myself personally would avoid the G12 and instead save a little bit more money and get the Sony Nex-C3 (standard kit with pancake an 3x zoom lens) which is not too expensive and have a much large sensor size (APS-C). Better for low light, nice, rich and sharp pictures. Don't get me wrong, G12 is good with lots of dials on the body for manual controls... but once you get a hang of the manual controls, etc most probably you want to switch to a DSLR already...

My personal choice would be...
Canon S100 - compact, easy to use point and shoot with 5x zoom. 24mm eqv lens good enough for wide angle shots for family photo + background and some close up shots. Has a manual control ring on body if you want to adjust some stuff manually. Battery is small so need to get extra battery to take more pictures through out the day.
Panasonic FZ150 - bigger than S100 but with 24x super zoom that you want. . Good optical stabilization. Pictures are ok but not too good in low light conditions - used their previous model before. Got all the controls on the body for you to play with too... I would choose this rather than the G12 if you don't bother much about the SLR like controls dials/button and hot shoe on the G12.

in the end really up to you... depends on how much poison.... :biggrin:

Buddy

I shot thousand of pic...every week to document my detailing....has both the compact & SLR with 5 lenses

only suggest u to consider S95....now at rm 1150 for f2.8....do yr home work & try it out

grab it buddy...you wouldnt regret. ....its so cun & compact enough to carry around

you may also consider buying some real thing SLR if you have an endless budget

otherwise dont make the mistake many does....listen who who &

You also know your stuff.....

I'd better! I do side jobs like you and is a 5DMKII user! :biggrin:

Canon S100 cheaper than G12. For me if go travel, I won't bother too much with super zoom (I guess you are talking about >10x magnification). Wide is better - take pictures of family with background, etc. Super zoom not needed most of the time. I myself personally would avoid the G12 and instead save a little bit more money and get the Sony Nex-C3 (standard kit with pancake an 3x zoom lens) which is not too expensive and have a much large sensor size (APS-C). Better for low light, nice, rich and sharp pictures. Don't get me wrong, G12 is good with lots of dials on the body for manual controls... but once you get a hang of the manual controls, etc most probably you want to switch to a DSLR already...

My personal choice would be...
Canon S100 - compact, easy to use point and shoot with 5x zoom. 24mm eqv lens good enough for wide angle shots for family photo + background and some close up shots. Has a manual control ring on body if you want to adjust some stuff manually. Battery is small so need to get extra battery to take more pictures through out the day.
Panasonic FZ150 - bigger than S100 but with 24x super zoom that you want. . Good optical stabilization. Pictures are ok but not too good in low light conditions - used their previous model before. Got all the controls on the body for you to play with too... I would choose this rather than the G12 if you don't bother much about the SLR like controls dials/button and hot shoe on the G12.

in the end really up to you... depends on how much poison.... :biggrin:

Technically the Sony NEX series of cameras aren't SLRs, micro four-thirds cameras aren't (IMHO) as good as full fledged DSLRs but they are the smaller alternative. Mind you.. key word is 'smaller'. Sony NEX cameras give me carpal tunnel because of the size.

And gawwwwwwwwd.. FZ150 is out already? Damn. My first camera : FZ20! Best 10x optical zoom ever. On a tripod it was great as a spy camera to zoom on those 'happy' couples in the KLCC park during the day. :biggrin: And agreed! Indoor isn't that great but outdoors.. fuiyo!

Panasonic LX5 is wide angle by default too. And paired with the Leica glass makes it great for outdoor shoots!

Aiya.. all boils down to the TS requirements. Indoor? Outdoor? Portability? Flexibility? Cost? IMHO :

Cheapest camera
Canon S-series
Panasonic LX-series

Multipurpose (in and outdoor)
Canon G-series (Aperture F2 ftw!)
Sony NEX-series

Portability
Panasonic LX-series
Canon S-series
Sony NEX-series

Flexibility
Sony NEX-series
Panasonic LX-series
Panasonic GF-series
Olympus EP-series

Most expensive (to buy and accessories)
Sony NEX-series

Personally I'd save up and buy a Nikon D4 or a Canon 5DMKIII. :biggrin: but that's just me.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom