205/50/15 tyres....what sort of rims?

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
Rim noob here. My original tyres are 205/45/16 ones, Im thinking of changing them to 205/50/15 ones.. is that the same diameter as the original?

Anyway what sort of rims can fit those tyres? I only know that I need to get PCD100 ones for stock Proton cars...

Many thanks.

hawick

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
D'sara / S'ban
yes, thinkness of tyres.
45 means 45% of 205mm
correct me if i wrong.

p/s: i notice that he is asking the diameter of tyre, not diameter of rim

satria_95

6,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
Malaysia
Disclaimer: The following article was extracted from
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43859/article.html
so the ownership, copyright, and bla bla bla belongs to the owner of that website.

205/55R 16 89V

The first number in this series refers to the tire's section width, or distance from sidewall edge to sidewall edge (in millimeters) when measured up and over the tire's tread. Generally speaking, the larger this number is, the taller and/or wider the tire will be.

This number is the tire's aspect ratio, or its section height compared to its section width. In this case, the section (or sidewall) height is 55 percent of the section width. This number can be very indicative of a tire's purpose. Lower numbers, like 55 or less, mean a short sidewall for improved steering response and better overall handling.

R
The "R" refers to radial construction, which has been the industry standard in passenger car tires for more than twenty years. Prior to radial tires, most cars came with bias-ply tires which had a crude construction that made for poor handling. Bias-ply tires are still used for certain truck applications.

This is the rim diameter, in inches, for which the tire was sized. Pay particular attention to this number if you plan on upgrading your wheel size. If your wheel diameter changes, you'll have to purchase a new set of tires that match this new diameter.

A tire's load index is a measurement of how much weight each tire is designed to support. To find out what "89" means, it must be looked up on the official Maximum Load-Carrying Capacity Per Tire chart. In this case, 89 indicates a maximum weight of 1,260 pounds. Remember that this is per tire, which means you have to multiply by four to get the total capacity for a complete set of tires.

V
The speed rating is a measurement of what speed the tire is designed to run at for extended periods. A "V" speed rating signifies that this tire can be run safely at speeds of up to 149 mph for extended periods. Will it explode if it goes to 155? No, not immediately. But it might if it is run at that speed for several minutes.

Here is a complete list of the various tire speed ratings, and their associated letters:

S 112 mph
T 118 mph
U 124 mph
H 130 mph
V 149 mph
*W 168 mph
*Y 186 mph

* For tires having a maximum speed capability of more than 149 mph, a ZR may appear in the size designation. For tires having a maximum speed capability greater than 186 mph, a ZR must appear in the size designation.

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
You guys didnt get my point... I know of course 16" tyres wont fit into a 15" rim. Im saying that my original tyre is 205/45/16, I want to change to 205/50/15 ones including changing the rims. Hence why Im asking what kind of rims will fit 205/50/15 ones, do I have to get 7" width ones or will the normal 6.5" width ones be fine?

Satria95, thanks for the info but Im looking for information for rims actually... :D

magnesium: My car is a SGTi.

By 'diameter' in my initial post I meant that do 205/50/15 tyres have the same height diameter as 205/45/16 tyres (or my speed readings will go crazy...), sorry for not clarifying.

Last edited:

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Zeroed said:
You guys didnt get my point... I know of course 16" tyres wont fit into a 15" rim. Im saying that my original tyre is 205/45/16, I want to change to 205/50/15 ones including changing the rims. Hence why Im asking what kind of rims will fit 205/50/15 ones, do I have to get 7" width ones or will the normal 6.5" width ones be fine?

Satria95, thanks for the info but Im looking for information for rims actually... :D

magnesium: My car is a SGTi.
6.5 can fit

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The current generation BMW M3 will mark the end of the naturally-aspirated era for BMW M vehicles as forced induction has been earmarked as the future, meaning that all future M vehicles will be force-fed.

Ever tightening emission standards mean that every automaker is trying to squeeze every last mile out of every last drop of fuel, with performance vehicles the first to be given a makeover. In Munich, that means...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience