1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I am joining the 1JZ bandwagon, with my E46 BMW 318ci :biggrin:. However the boost will be maintained as it is, target HP is 343hp (M3 E46 spec). Unfortunately, only 4 speed autobox is available for now, so i am not going manual anytime.

Q1: From online sources, many people commented the VVTI Single Turbo model is better and tougher than non VVTI Twin Turbo model. Just want to know how true it this.

Q2: I am looking for 18' inch wheels and using stock 330i/328i brakes, together with 330i rear axle and rear differential. Are these setup sufficient? Or i need to go with 4pots / 6 pots brake kits?

Q3: What size of tyres you guys would suggest in terms of balancing the ration between safety, performance and price?

Expected to get my car running in 2 months time. So more information the merrier :)

Thanks,
Ken

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
he will have the last laugh when the build is done. dont underestimate

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
he will have the last laugh when the build is done. dont underestimate
Keyword being "when".

When he's in a wheelchair and his son completes the build?

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
I am joining the 1JZ bandwagon, with my E46 BMW 318ci :biggrin:. However the boost will be maintained as it is, target HP is 343hp (M3 E46 spec). Unfortunately, only 4 speed autobox is available for now, so i am not going manual anytime.

Q1: From online sources, many people commented the VVTI Single Turbo model is better and tougher than non VVTI Twin Turbo model. Just want to know how true it this.

Q2: I am looking for 18' inch wheels and using stock 330i/328i brakes, together with 330i rear axle and rear differential. Are these setup sufficient? Or i need to go with 4pots / 6 pots brake kits?

Q3: What size of tyres you guys would suggest in terms of balancing the ration between safety, performance and price?

Expected to get my car running in 2 months time. So more information the merrier :)

Thanks,
Ken

343whp...u need upgraded turbo and tune...

vvti single turbo have better driveability (smoother and easier to drive) as well as better fc a bit compared to older non vvt version...

as for brakes...i would say having 4pot brembo swap is recommended... even on my 2xxwhp awd car also sometimes feels not sufficent during brake due to speed and chassis weight...

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka

vvti single turbo have better driveability (smoother and easier to drive) as well as better fc a bit compared to older non vvt version...

as for brakes...i would say having 4pot brembo swap is recommended... even on my 2xxwhp awd car also sometimes feels not sufficent during brake due to speed and chassis weight...
I guess thats the norm for an average car, its design to be driven by average people.
Once pushed near the edge,something always end up wanting more.

Even my humble EX5 with few hp...i really wish for a front disc at times.

Eh,when is the ETA for this #BMWsolongwaitingforrevealevenafternewgomenissworninwilliteverberevealed

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Saw a beautiful white Evo 8
Driven
Moving
On the road

Looked absolutely stock.

Oh did I mention it was moving? On the road?
Right. For 80k or more too right? Jeez.. dude give it a rest already.

Keyword being "when".

When he's in a wheelchair and his son completes the build?
Like I said - give it a rest. I don't own a workshop otherwise I'd have it done in a week.

I think to get that kinda power you need a bigger turbo. And how you gonna upgrade a 1.8 to 2.5? It's not going to be legal or your reg card is gonna be one of those non-transferrable ones.

1. No. VVTI is not as tough as the non-VVTI ones. Regarding the turbos, makes no difference.
2. Yes plenty good sufficient but good luck finding a 330i diff. And get 4pot for now, but if you can afford 6 why not?
3. I'm was using 245/40/17 on my rear so the rough equivalent is 245/30/18? I dunno, but the clearance would be an issue.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
together with 330i rear axle and rear differential.
I dont think the 330's diff is designed to take that amount of torque. Bear in mind, they also come in different final drive ratios.Perhaps consider getting an M3 diff

You might also want to consider reinforcing the subframe & damper mounting points

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I dont think the 330's diff is designed to take that amount of torque. Bear in mind, they also come in different final drive ratios.Perhaps consider getting an M3 diff

You might also want to consider reinforcing the subframe & damper mounting points
It can la. The 318 one on the other hand cannot

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Izso: don’t angry la. I buy you ice scream leng mou?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008

BMW e46 M3 is not 343whp ... Seen a dyno by an English guy on his manual E46 m3, the power figure at the wheels is around 302whp. So for the 1JZ automatic to reach that whp, i think it's unnecessary, if i can make 280whp is consider damn 9 fast, torque should be damn 9 enough to catch up to it (not even dream of overtaking it).

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just found a new type of high quality car mat, it's moulded and direct fit. The most impressive thing is its patented bottom layer, prevent every car mats in the car (front & rear) from sliding. Hygienic & easy cleaning car mat! It's available at major car accessories dealers in Malaysia.

YouTube - CAR MAT: MATE MAXPIDER MAT patented hygienic, easy cleaning & anti-sliding technology

:driver:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience