ST 150 & AT 151 Corona

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Mr. Yau, hmmm in terms of performance, maybe the black top is a little overrated. I've yet to experience the full power of my BT due to the exhaust limitation, so I must say I'm far from happy with it, for now. Maybe the 165hp figures were pretty flattering (and deceiving), leading to overworshiping of the Levin engine.. Then again, maybe you haven't given the BT much thought because you have another even more monsterous red engine under that black hood of your orange 'rona! :rofl: I know, if my dad had gotten the ST instead of the AT, I'd be getting a BEAMS too (if I can find one, that is). Also, I guess most Toyota kakis drive Corolla's, and since it's much easier and simpler to dump in a BT instead of a 3S into a 'rolla, we're just being happy with what we have lo.. :biggrin:

I do admit, public opinion on the BT outside the Toyota community is not very high. Even those chopshop fella's also ask me frequently, "Apasal you play 20v? No power wan! You got Honda ma, play VTEC la!". However, comparing the 3 aforementioned engines, I'm not so sure I'd place the BT last. In terms of performance, maybe the BT marginally loses out to the other two, but then again, performance is not everything, right? BT may not have the abundance of aftermarket parts that the VTECs enjoy, but definitely much more availability compared to the SR16 (although prices are being pumped up very unreasonably, I admit :bawling:). More importantly, cost and maintenance.. I think Toyota wins, hands down. Halfcuts much cheaper, spare parts also easy to find, abundant and cheap. My Honda at home, each time it visits the workshop, the average bill is 3 digits; the Corona, much less frequent workshop trips and much cheaper (with the 4A-C engine, that is). So in terms of what we're paying for what we get, I guess we Toyota kakis should be pretty happy..

Bro Shan, hehe actually when I was talking about experience and practice, I was referring to the cornering and grip stuff as featured in the video Mr. Yau posted.:smile: Still on P license, of course still a noob lo..:embarassed: About DIY-ing on my own car, yeah I have done so too.. Had a bit of hands on at the workshop changing the absorber springs, tried to patch up a bit of the dashboard myself (at first I thought it looked good, then gradually I'm starting to think it looks pretty hideous after all), even broke an absorber top mount screw trying to install the front strut bar myself!:rofl: Have been planning to touch up the dashboard a little myself too when I have the time and mood. Also haven't forgotten about modding that spoiler lying somewhere in my pile of things, bro..:listen:

Last edited:

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
Mr. Yau, hmmm in terms of performance, maybe the black top is a little overrated. I've yet to experience the full power of my BT due to the exhaust limitation, so I must say I'm far from happy with it, for now. Maybe the 165hp figures were pretty flattering (and deceiving), leading to overworshiping of the Levin engine.. Then again, maybe you haven't given the BT much thought because you have another even more monsterous red engine under that black hood of your orange 'rona! I know, if my dad had gotten the ST instead of the AT, I'd be getting a BEAMS too (if I can find one, that is). Also, I guess most Toyota kakis drive Corolla's, and since it's much easier and simpler to dump in a BT instead of a 3S into a 'rolla, we're just being happy with what we have lo..

I do admit, public opinion on the BT outside the Toyota community is not very high. Even those chopshop fella's also ask me frequently, "Apasal you play 20v? No power wan! You got Honda ma, play VTEC la!". However, comparing the 3 aforementioned engines, I'm not so sure I'd place the BT last. In terms of performance, maybe the BT marginally loses out to the other two, but then again, performance is not everything, right? BT may not have the abundance of aftermarket parts that the VTECs enjoy, but definitely much more availability compared to the SR16 (although prices are being pumped up very unreasonably, I admit ). More importantly, cost and maintenance.. I think Toyota wins, hands down. Halfcuts much cheaper, spare parts also easy to find, abundant and cheap. My Honda at home, each time it visits the workshop, the average bill is 3 digits; the Corona, much less frequent workshop trips and much cheaper (with the 4A-C engine, that is). So in terms of what we're paying for what we get, I guess we Toyota kakis should be pretty happy..
That's the problem, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys ! And being labelled as "CHEAP"is not exactly a compliment either...:laugh:

All I'm saying is the 20v is over rated bcoz of initial D & Tsuchiya Keichi's a Toyota fan.:laugh:

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hahaha yeah, Initial D.. Prime cause of rise in popularity of 4A-GE :laugh:

Don't label Toyota as "cheap", look at it as "easy to maintain", "cost effective/friendly" ma..:biggrin: Like I said, I suppose we should be happy with what we're getting considering the price we pay, cuz at least the prices of stuff are not blown outta proportion like those Mugen, Ralliart stuff, right? Besides, it's always better to look at the bright side.. I can choose to feel inferior :adore: and sad parking next to the Skylines, the Evo's and the Integra's, wondering why I'm not driving a Supra and instead driving this old, old Corona :banghead:, right? But I appreciate how the Corona is a good car in its own right and is special in its own way..:top: Maybe it's not as comfortable as a BMW and it won't outrun an Evo, doesn't look as classy as a Lambo and is not as exotic as a Bentley; but at least it's comfortable enough for me to like to drive it and for my friends to like to fill up my back seats, it's fast enough to get me to class in time if I wake up late; it looks good in its own special, classic-yet-not-outta-date way (my neighbour actually said it looked like a muscle car:laugh:), and it's not as "overcommon" as the Myvi, Wira and what not.. Bottomline, I love :love: my car, and I think that's what matters most! :biggrin:

And Mr. Yau, please don't misunderstand by thinking I'm picking a fight with you or anything.. (I wouldn't even dare)
I do respect and to a certain extent, agree to with your opinion, and I'm just voicing out my own opinion here.. So no offence ya, chief :smile:

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
Don't worry, RR.

Everybody has their own opinion. I actually think you strayed from the topic, RR. I was saying the BT is over rated, not the Corona.

I'm not saying that it's a bad engine or anything like that, I only feel that it's over rated when you compare it with the rest of its class. It's the only 1 that comes originally with the 4 throttles & 6 valves/cylinder & all but it the real world, it's still a little slower than the rest; except for the Mivec maybe.

Anyway, it's just my personal opinion & it doesn't mean I'm completely right.

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hehe, I think I strayed from the topic too.. Sorry ya cheif :biggrin:
Yeah, about what you mentioned, I have thought so too. 4 throttles, 5 (not 6) valves per cylinder, VVT, some even mated with 6 speed gearbox.. Theoretically, should be some Godspeed :adore: engine and not struggling to even reach 150whp ma.
The Honda's, only need one thing: VTEC, apparently can even beat turbo.. :adore:
But like you said, Mr. Yau.. It's not a bad engine la. In fact pretty good.. Maybe just a little overrated. :tongue:

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
sorry about the 6 valves typo. You know la, old man's eyes, failing me ady...:biggrin:

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Actually 20V cant compare to VTEC lah guys... VTEC is a totally different technology and way more advanced than what the 20V had with VVT. If the B16 didn't have VTEC and if it just had mere valve timing (similar to VVT), I dare say 20V would smoke em' hands down.

Simply put, comparing an engine without valve lift technology to VTEC/VVL is like apples to orange. An engine with just basic intake cam pulley timing advancing/retarding technology is peanuts when comparing to an engine that has the ability to switch its cam shaft from normal lift to high lift... hence VTEC/VVL.

Nonetheless, Toyota/Yamaha did show their best without requiring valve lift technology with the last batch of 20V, which is the 20V 6spd blacktop. Basically, the 20V is not a horsepower machine.... which doesn't really matter when your on a track or winding road, especially uphills. Torque is what they 20V had been designed to do which is why you noticed some videos where 20V doing better than the B16 in track (there was a video comparing 20V, B16b and SR16 in youtube, all in their original chassis). Try looking up for torque curve on all these 3 engines (or even any 1.6) engine and you will find 20V delivering good torque at mid-RPM range.

And for that matter, the B16B type-R is a hand-built engine where every component on the engine is blueprinted, balanced and lightened to racing spec to start with. As for 20V blacktop, its more of a mass produced engine which is used on various platform across Toyota lineup with the BZR 6 speeder getting special treatment on the gearbox side and ECU mapping. Otherwise, the 20V BT is a common engine in Toyota when compared to the B16B which is only available on their flagship Type-R lineup.

Just sharing my 2cents... ;)

Edit: Prolly the meanest 20V in Malaysia:

Spec:
20v silvertop fully loaded complete engine:
kelford cam in/288 ex 288
kelford valve spring
1jz fuel injector
adjustable cam pully
head port and polish redo shim
trd o.8mm metal gasket
arias 81.5mm oversize forged piston
briancower steel conrod
acl race bearing
toda timing belt
ae111 fly wheel ,tinity clutch with trd pressure plate
silver top 4 throtle,alternator n starter all complete wit aluminium pulley

Now guess how much WHP this monster is pumping out..... hehehe
Source: http://www.drift.com.my/v2/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=993

Last edited:

corona_ice

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2006
sunway city
2o2r:toyota engines i wouldn't say cheap, but affordable la... As things become rare, i notice that they are becoming a bit more expensive already... But performence i don't know, i feel that most japanese cars that come straight out of the factory are all pretty much under powered. It's when u put on the aftermarkets products is when u get the real power..
Oh ya.. I'll be coming up to sitiawan this saturday. Just to look at the car and gently push the conversion... I really need to get sum idea on what he's planning to charge me also... I still want to upgrade my suspension and all...
Rage: u want to follow? I'm bring a friend, still got space...

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
I know every time I crticize the BT, I'm gonna get a bashing from the BT fans. Before we proceed further, let's get 1 point straight; we're discussing, not arguing or anything, k ?

K, now that we got that straightened out, here's my humble opinion:

We can't say we're comparing apples to oranges when we compare the BT with Vtec or VVL coz that's the best Toyota has to offer in that class which unfortunately where Vtecs & VVL share.

We can't say ÏF" the Vtec didn't have the lift or IF the BT has lift & so forth coz those are the things that didn't happen or materialise. We are comparing what is available here & now.

If you say that the BT can be more powerful after modded, so is the Vtec or VVL. It's also not where you drive the car, I'm comparing the engine's performance. I mean are you very sure that the BT can outrun the Vtec or the VVL in windy roads if given the driver is of the same skill level ? So that is rather difficult to measure, I think. So I'll just stick to the engine's performance.

I've challenge a guy in this forum before, I think some you senior guys know about this story. He claims that his BT is a vtec killer, so I told him to prove me wrong. You bring yr Vtec killer & I'll bring a modded Vtec. I don't even want to know what you modded to the BT, Put some money into where yr mouth is, then we find out who's faster; the hard way. Simple as that. The story ended when that guy didn't reply.

Simple as that.

I know it's hard for us Toyota fans to swallow but unfortunately, that is a fact & like it or not, we can't ignore what's true. That's call denial. Hehehe

corona_ice

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2006
sunway city
what u have said is true... i agree.... and anyway, it's a discussion forum so we can discuss! well i've also seen some very mean daihatsu detamoso sprinting around alot in kl... those 1.6cc engine in small cars are very perky! than this one guy in sunway area has modded the bt into his daihatsu! his verdict??? not as advertised! so, he's plannin to upgrade the engine to see what he can extract from his car...simply crazy....
when it comes to the 1.6cc range i can say that the challenge is very strong... lucky thing is there's still the 4agze in toyota's arsenal!

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
what u have said is true... i agree.... and anyway, it's a discussion forum so we can discuss! well i've also seen some very mean daihatsu detamoso sprinting around alot in kl... those 1.6cc engine in small cars are very perky! than this one guy in sunway area has modded the bt into his daihatsu! his verdict??? not as advertised! so, he's plannin to upgrade the engine to see what he can extract from his car...simply crazy....
when it comes to the 1.6cc range i can say that the challenge is very strong... lucky thing is there's still the 4agze in toyota's arsenal!
And bear in mind that the GZE's in the forced induction category & with that in mind,:listen: it is also struggling to beat the Honda's NA B16 in a 400m drag.

I'm saying all this based own my own experience. witnessing with my own eyes in real world situations; not based on Initial D cartoons.:laugh:

kareze69

Jun 12, 2008
hi bro's & sifu's:adore:...

juz to share my ride:driver:...

*:bawling:still hav a problem to fix the suspention system:banghead:..now use ae111 spring/absober for front and ae80/82 spring/absober at rear...isn't posible if i plug n play ae111 spring/absober for rear suspention?...

Attachments

2 Old 2 Rusty

1,500 RPM
Nov 18, 2006
RR,

Erm.. Wouldn't the BT 20v beat the GZE in a quarter mile drag?/QUOTE]

I've seen some tough fights coz the GZE will lead first & the BT will chase up after 300-350m & fight to the finish line.

hi bro's & sifu's...

juz to share my ride...

*still hav a problem to fix the suspention system..now use ae111 spring/absober for front and ae80/82 spring/absober at rear...isn't posible if i plug n play ae111 spring/absober for rear suspention?.../QUOTE]

Hi, kareze69.

If you're already using disc brakes on the rear, then you can use the AE111 absorbers & springs. I believe you're still using the original drum brakes on the rear coz you're now using the AE80/82 suspension, am I right ?

The AE80/82 knuckles won't fit the AE111 shox, bro. Holes not ngam. I think we've gone thru this topic many, many, many times before. Pls read thru the older posts.

kareze69

Jun 12, 2008
metaru,

hi all ... just wana make a kindly enquire ... kareze69, u dont happen to live in shalam do you? I think i saw ur car before around shalam, correct me if im wrong
hi bro...hahaha...may be i'm go to 'panas enjin:driver:' in shah alam area...actualy i'm live at kajang...TQ bro bcoz aware of my corona/me:shakehands:...isn't ur corona sell already?...

hi Sifu's,

If you're already using disc brakes on the rear, then you can use the AE111 absorbers & springs. I believe you're still using the original drum brakes on the rear coz you're now using the AE80/82 suspension, am I right ?

The AE80/82 knuckles won't fit the AE111 shox, bro. Holes not ngam. I think we've gone thru this topic many, many, many times before. Pls read thru the older posts.
TQ Sifu...how r u?...:beer:
i'm already converted to disc breake on rear...but my foremen make custom base bracket to fix the original st150 shox & Ae111 caliper...in ur opinion, which better if i mod back my rear shox to fully ae111 system OR i'm buy ae111 sport shox and custom the knuckle holes?:hmmmm:...others, my rim+tyre already 'terkeluar' from arch...look like muscle car...but when bumping or with 2 passenger, the tyre was touch the arch & erode:bawling:..

feezdya

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2006
Pee Jay
www.takaful-ikhlas.com.my
hmm really miss my corona..stolen at ss2 petaling jaya last 3 years..since this is a rare car and im quite suprised that corona thread now very active, perhaps anyone have seen this car (attached below) because ive been informed by friend of mine that they spot the said car at Ipoh area, please let me know..its hard to believe! hehe..its not wrong if i try right...

pictures for your attention:

Last edited:

corona_ice

500 RPM
Apr 19, 2006
sunway city
2o2r: true, i left out that 4agze is a forced induction engine... Sorry!
Rage: don't worry la... I think ur blacktop can still beat a 4agze... Must ask vincent to do a comparizent! Our very own blacktop vs 4agze! And don't forget both in coronas!
Kareza69: hey man nice job on the car looks good... If ur around the subang/sunway area, gv me a call v go thanni! Teh tarik la...

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Kareza69: Hi bro, nice ride there. On your problem, I'm not very clear on your current rear suspension setup apart from the fact that you're using AE80 absorbers and spring, but if your mechanic can help you to change the rear absorbers back to those from AE1X1, it would be better that way cuz AE1X1 absorbers are newer and easier to find, imho. What say you, sifu Yau?

Bro Naz: Nice to see you still visiting us back here, bro :biggrin: What's your next ride? Did you manage to get that S14?

Mr. Yau: Hmm. How bout the AE101 SC vs BT 20v? Any idea on the outcome?:hmmmm:

Feezdya: Hehe, you've got to give kudos to Sifus 2o2r and Corona_ice for keeping the thread alive. Btw, that's one mean ride there. I'm sorry for your loss, bro. I always keep an eye out for any Corona's but I've never seen yours in the KL streets. Will let you know if I happen to spot it, bro.

Bro Shan: Mine definitely cannot beat a GZE now lar, bro.. The car is still very sluggish as the rpm rises too slowly, by the time I reach my powerband the GZE would have reached the finishing line lor. Besides, according to Mr. Joseph, Vincent's GZE has been fitted with the top speed delimiter and can reach 260km/h. Based on current condition of my car.. I surrender! :adore:

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi everyone.i'm seeking for some advise because i have bought a wira SE1.5 and i have made some modification onto it but now the car is driven by my fiancee so she complained to me bout the exhaust noise.i wanted to change to smaller ones but it will affect the power of the car and the sporty look.does silencer help?how much actually the silencer help?approximate how much?can somebody advise me?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience