CPS (Cam Profile Switching) vs VVTI vs DVVT

Haha... I thought Proton's clutch should be easy going. Have you tested your top speed yet?

No..la,
just feel that my clutch level is a bit high, so ask for adjustment tips. :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

I know that between B16 (VTEC) & 4G92 (Mivec), VTEC will be a clear winner. Unsure about 4AGE though. how about B16 (VTEC) & 4G92 (Mivec with 1.8L rojak)?

ok here's a question..

if B16(vtec) vs 4AGE(vvt) vs 4G92(mivec) on a 400m race.. who will win?

if 4G92 rojak 93 vs B18c non type R, mivec will win. oso depend install on wat car. if mivec on wira, B18 on civic EF, civic will win

ok here's a question..

if B16(vtec) vs 4AGE(vvt) vs 4G92(mivec) on a 400m race.. who will win?

It very much depends on the car as a whole. Engine alone is not going to determine the winner.

If its a drag race, the gear ratios has to be tailored for the engine power band to ensure it stays within the band for every gear. The final drive also plays an important role as well as overall weight.

For drag racing purpose, engines are actually less dependent on cam profile technologies. This is because you are only utilising a narrow RPM range (usually the high RPM range). Hence you can optimise the engine to provide maximum power at that range and ignore the rest.

Purpose of VVT, VTEC etc is meant to give the engine a wider power band coupled with other things like variable length intake manifold. If you are only going to utilise a narrow RPM range, VVT, VTEC is not needed at all.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Of course, other factors like stroke, conrod length ratios, port angles etc all plays a part.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Btw, the latest valvetronic from BMW and valvematic from Toyota etc are all better than CPS/VTEC and VVTi etc..

The problem with CPS/VTEC is that they only offer 2 fixed cam profiles. One optimised for low rpm and another for high RPM. ITs like having just 2 gears.

Valvetronic/Valvematic offers fully variable valve timing and lift. Its like CVT.

For VVTi, it offers variable valve timing (DVVTi means both intake and exhaust) but not valve lift.

Then others like Variocam plus and VVTiL offers variable valve timing and 2 step valve lift. Lift is not variable, only 2 steps like CPS/VTEC. If I am not wrong, iVTEC on the K20A is using this method as well.

Thank you for sharing! Do you have experience with CVT gearbox? Proton Saga just launched the FLX model & it is equipped with CVT gearbox. It is similar to the Lancer or Inspira CVT gearbox though.

It very much depends on the car as a whole. Engine alone is not going to determine the winner.

If its a drag race, the gear ratios has to be tailored for the engine power band to ensure it stays within the band for every gear. The final drive also plays an important role as well as overall weight.

For drag racing purpose, engines are actually less dependent on cam profile technologies. This is because you are only utilising a narrow RPM range (usually the high RPM range). Hence you can optimise the engine to provide maximum power at that range and ignore the rest.

Purpose of VVT, VTEC etc is meant to give the engine a wider power band coupled with other things like variable length intake manifold. If you are only going to utilise a narrow RPM range, VVT, VTEC is not needed at all.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Of course, other factors like stroke, conrod length ratios, port angles etc all plays a part.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Btw, the latest valvetronic from BMW and valvematic from Toyota etc are all better than CPS/VTEC and VVTi etc..

The problem with CPS/VTEC is that they only offer 2 fixed cam profiles. One optimised for low rpm and another for high RPM. ITs like having just 2 gears.

Valvetronic/Valvematic offers fully variable valve timing and lift. Its like CVT.

For VVTi, it offers variable valve timing (DVVTi means both intake and exhaust) but not valve lift.

Then others like Variocam plus and VVTiL offers variable valve timing and 2 step valve lift. Lift is not variable, only 2 steps like CPS/VTEC. If I am not wrong, iVTEC on the K20A is using this method as well.

i think that is the CVT characteristic, RPM will hover on the sweet spot where the torque is at the maximum.. In this case, I dunno, maybe that is the safe limit of revving.. but at the starting of the video, it is stated there that it was FLOORED from 0km/h, got rev cut ke?

Yes. I also noticed that as well. If you searched through you tube about CVT, you will notice that once they floor the pedal, the RPM will go up to 6k plus and it will maintain there. After that, speed will just increase until the maximum. What I am trying to say is the RPM will maintain at certain # and it won't go down after that.

i think that is the CVT characteristic, RPM will hover on the sweet spot where the torque is at the maximum.. In this case, I dunno, maybe that is the safe limit of revving.. but at the starting of the video, it is stated there that it was FLOORED from 0km/h, got rev cut ke?

I am back & I have something to share. Proton Exora 1.6L CPS Turbo... nice acceleration & max boost = 1.2bar. Nice blow-off valve sound & was he using HKS SQV? He also mentioned about oil temp which was ~120Deg C & would it be considered as normal for a turbocharger? Proton is supposed to launch the Exora CPS turbo but we haven't seen it until today.

Proton Exora CPS Turbo Teaser - E33 DUKE Highway - YouTube

...the driver commented that the temp was normal... not sure what engine oil he was using though. With boost of 1.2bar, not sure whether the engine or gearbox can tahan or not.

120 for oil temp is consider very high it will significant reduce the engine performance.

Even with turbo the acceleration is such a pain? I wonder how the stock feels like.. OMG proton... 1.6L 7 seater yeah!!!

It wasn't that bad la... the cheapest MPV ma... what do we expect?

Even with turbo the acceleration is such a pain? I wonder how the stock feels like.. OMG proton... 1.6L 7 seater yeah!!!

Spotted Neo GTI using 1.6L Turbo?? Any comments anyone?

Attachments

• Neo GTI.jpg
    Neo GTI.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 157

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom