[DIY] Automatic Gearbox Cooler

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Things needed :
1. An atf cooler (new, recon, chopshop, etc).
2. Proper engine grade hoses and clamps.
3. Phillips screwdriver, size 10 nut remover tool.. forgot what these are called. I used a ratchet + extender + size 10 head.
4. Steel bands to hold the cooler in place.

First thing I did was drain all the ATF out (as much as possible).

In this case this is my Myvi so these instructions are specific for the Myvi. There are 5 plastic clips in the center top, 2 on each wheel well, 8 underside of the front bumper. Then you have to pop out the fog lights and remove the number plate. There are 3 size 10 bolts there, take them all out. Take out the bumper.

Be careful with the number plate and clips. All plastic crap is fragile.

My cooler was taken from a Volvo. Not too small, not too big. I have to saw off the metal lines and just use a little bit of the line protruding out to connect to the hoses. Make sure you clean the cooler and ensure the oil lines are not blocked. In my case one of the lines had so much rubbish it was almost clogged. Use a little degreaser and force feed the oil line with a strong water hose to clear it out.

I pulled out the original ATF hoses and tied them up (careful, there is a lot of oil in there). I didn't completely remove the hoses in case in future I want to put it back as stock. Then I plugged in my own hoses and took measurements before cutting them to the needed length.

I cable-tied the hose to the crossmember so it didn't touch the extractor cover or hit the radiator fan.

Done! Reinstall the bumper.

This picture shows a yellow hose. I initially used this hose but later changed it to an automotive hose.

All done!

Attachments

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
if u do this, u'll need more ATF fluid than usual.. right?

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
d7zul : Just a little bit more je la bro. Normally for a drop-and-top ATF change, I fill up 2L of ATF. With the cooler it's something like 2.2L only.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
d7zul : Just a little bit more je la bro. Normally for a drop-and-top ATF change, I fill up 2L of ATF. With the cooler it's something like 2.2L only.
oic..

ok la tu..

for me, i'm getting a 6speed gbox soon..

:biggrin:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
nice work bro..very informative and useful

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
Nicely done...

But have a few questions...

1) Would it be nice if you put an oil pressure meter...? at least we can get a feedback of how many pressure lost...between the standard one...?
2) What the dimension of your oil cooler...?

Correct me if i'm wrong...

BR,
Chin

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nicely done...

But have a few questions...

1) Would it be nice if you put an oil pressure meter...? at least we can get a feedback of how many pressure lost...between the standard one...?
2) What the dimension of your oil cooler...?

Correct me if i'm wrong...

BR,
Chin
There's no right or wrong Chin, it's just a discussion so we're all open for discussion and ideas. A pressure meter along the lines of the ATF eh? Well that's an idea. But introducing the meter would further affect the pressure no?

Personally I feel most transmission coolers are made this size to counteract too much pressure loss. The lines going into the cooler and the hoses are pretty small (hose is 8mm and the cooler line is smaller). The stock line is just one straight copper pipe and the pipe is similarly sized. I think these coolers is just a bent version of the straight copper pipe with fins for cooling. Mine's 8inch x 10inch.

What happen if too big?
Then you'd lose a lot of pressure and inadversely affect the oil pump in the gearbox. Not advisable. You'll notice that oil coolers are almost if not the same size as transmission coolers.

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
that bracket bro u need a stiffer one....afraid later after a few bump/potholes then the cooler left hanging on hose only.... :adore:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The steel braids are surprisingly strong actually. Took damn a lot of effort to bend it in shape so as long as you mount it to secure and strong spots, I think the cooler will be safe even after a few bumps and knocks. If you look at my install, I used some superlon to cushion the connections and cooler. That kinda prevents anything from loosening too quickly from hard jarring

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
what about auto perdana V6 bro...any idea?
This is quite straightforward too. Except the way you mount the cooler might have to be underneath the car. I've seen the Perdana engine bay and accessing the gearbox is easier done from under the car.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I found that my car don't have any hose for the AT box...to fill up just open the nut on top..to drain loosen the nut at the bottom... old car

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone know any idea where to get the sealant that dont' dry. You see, if you every take out the door panel, then you will see the plastic cover with the non dry black sealant. Where can I get the same type of sealant? Any idea if 3M product make this?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience