Zero2Hero Auto Detailing™: Toyota SEG FULL Headlight Restoration

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
I was requested by my GF's parents to buy her a bottle of headlight restoration "potion" last week and i was thinking..."Does those 'potions' really work?" i dont think so...

since they are my coming soon relatives.. i decided to give them a free restoration, since ive never tried it before on other people's cars so it would be kindof a challenge and also an experience. which turned out amazing!

Today's Dr. Restoration's prescription
ONR NO Rinse Wash
OPT Hyper Compound
OPT Hyper Polish
OPT Quick Wax
Tools:
800grid Sandpaper
1000Grid Sandpaper
1500Grid Sandpaper
Makita 9227c Polisher
Makita stock wool pad
Lake Country Cutting Pad
Lake Country Polishing Pad

So i prepared the surface for sanding. Started with a ONR wash ( not only the headlights but the whole car :love: )
I love classic toyota's they have a simple beauty in them...unexplainable...

This is how the headlights look like before anything was done...
Left Side

Right side

Then clayed the headlights first...no much contaminants so i didn't take a picture..
After that i taped up the sides to prevent the car paint from being sanded by accident!
Prevention is always better than cure...

Started sanding at 800 > 1000 > 1500 till its all evenly sanded...
I remember KC saying, ONR can be used as lube...so i was thinking if i use ONR as lube for wet sanding will it be better? hmmm..... i did it anyway..
50% to completion

Fully sanded

Then magic started to happen.
using the same procedures as car paint. i compounded the headlights with care as its plastic...
followed by finer cutting pad...
then following to polishing pad....
abracadabra.... POOF!:love:
Like brand new! clarify kaw kaw!

No more space for me take picture so i had to guess the angle for this...best i could do...

Then after i showed my GF's mom the job she :proud: > :biggrin: "well done"
thats all i could ever ask for right?

Total Man Hours: 3hr as i was creeping at my petty pace...enjoying my moments with makita

simple yet easy restoration. satisfaction +1 :adore: thanks for viewing...
p/s i did this for free :proud: sometimes you should give in other to get something in return...

Regards,
Josh/s1tl/1st
Zero2Hero Auto Detailing™

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Wow. Thats nice, dude may I ask for your opinion on plastic polish like meguairs plastX? Does it clear up the haze also?

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
im not sure about meg's plastX but i think its a compound based products which cuts a thin layer of the plastic to regain its clarify, reduce the scratches etc etc, same function like car compounds but only its made for only plastic, its the prob with meg's product, each kind of car care product had only 1 function, as for optimum 1 product does it all :burnout:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Mm allright dude, thanks for your opinion. I guess the only way is to try it myself haha :proud:

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
yea, but u could PM muyo, he just posted a detailing session for an Audi A4 , he has more experience in Meguiars or u may call KC, he is a professional detailer for many many years and had already tried all products lol

reinforcism

Aug 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
where i can buy all this??

ONR NO Rinse Wash
OPT Hyper Compound
OPT Hyper Polish
OPT Quick Wax
Tools:

Makita 9227c Polisher
Makita stock wool pad
Lake Country Cutting Pad

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Most impressive! Great job! Very thorough and detailed preparation.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
nice job!:congrats: so how much have you spend on everything?
I spent around 3 hours on them. treated them like my own headlights:love:

where i can buy all this??

ONR NO Rinse Wash
OPT Hyper Compound
OPT Hyper Polish
OPT Quick Wax
Tools:

Makita 9227c Polisher
Makita stock wool pad
Lake Country Cutting Pad
for these you may contact KC from this detailing forum. he can hook you up. for makita i could get it for 800++ if u r in Ipoh...its not getting the stuff means you can do it, u need to learn how to handle a rotary and the skills and techniques to use the products. KC always host clinics for free and teach, i learnt from him and now i can do all these :adore: Cheers to KC

Most impressive! Great job! Very thorough and detailed preparation.
OMG the legendary seech!:love: i love your Porsche detail!!:adore: totally respect your work! Thank you sir for the kind compliments!:adore:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Wow nice!!! This can look like my baby leh... Thanks for the step by step. Next time if my AE111 like that I also can try DIY then! :biggrin:

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
Wow nice!!! This can look like my baby leh... Thanks for the step by step. Next time if my AE111 like that I also can try DIY then! :biggrin:
Sure, sharing is caring.

wow...what a great DIY job..
\

Thank you sir for the compliments, but its not actually a DIY job, its part of detailing to me

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all,
just want to ask whats is there to upgrade for the Evo 8 fq400?? bigger turbos?? BTW, where can get this car..??? fq400 model.. really interested with this Evo..:driver:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience