WTB 350z - Tips & advice much appreciated

yewming

Known Member
Aug 24, 2008
hi guys,

recently had my car stolen so i'm now looking to buy a 350z and since i'm totally clueless about the fairlady, i'd appreciate some advice on what to look out for, ie:

1. difference between year of manufacture. i.e. is there a difference in specs or bumpers etc?
2. common problems?
3. how to spot upgrades/fake year of manufacture?
4. how to identify if the car is genuinely a 2004/05/06 model?

anything else that you think i should look out for will greatly help.

thanks!! :wavey::wavey:

national12345

Known Member
Sep 6, 2006
Here i share what i know.

1. difference between year of manufacture. i.e. is there a difference in specs or bumpers etc?
For year diff, 2003-2005 model are rate 280hp, 2006 model is rated 303hp, and 2007 model which are using the VQ35HR, are producing 313hp. There is only one type of bumper for the normal Z. Others all are aftermarket. There is a small diff if itz a 2007 Nismo version.

2. common problems?
So far my car still alrite (Touchwood!). No problem just that the suspension is a bit stiff to me.

3. how to spot upgrades/fake year of manufacture?
It should be written on the car card or any document(for unreg). Unless "something" had been done when itz in Japan?

4. how to identify if the car is genuinely a 2004/05/06 model?
bascially 2003-2006 they are the same for chassis number, look, and other physical appearance. Normally the 05/06 doesnt comes with the stock 17" rims. But this is juz IMO. 05/06 model BOSE HU should be able to play mp3.

yewming

Known Member
Aug 24, 2008
thanks so much for your feedback. sounds like i should aim for the 2007 model ;)

what's different with the 2007 model?

yewming

Known Member
Aug 24, 2008
headlamp oso different for new n old batch..hehehe
hi, you're also on the subaru forum right? think i remember seeing your nick there. could be wrong.. but anyways, how are the 2 headlamps different?

national12345

Known Member
Sep 6, 2006
The new HR engine is slightly more powerful compare to the old DE. Not sure how much it diff though. If ur getting a new car den go for the 07 model. Don't think there is any recon for the 07 yet.

But i've checked the nissan malaysia website, the new Z they are selling is VQ35DE. Im not sure whether they did not update the site or wat? Maybe u can try call them up and check.
Price for a brand new Z is RM390k.

Last edited:

yewming

Known Member
Aug 24, 2008
The new HR engine is slightly more powerful compare to the old DE. Not sure how much it diff though. If ur getting a new car den go for the 07 model. Don't think there is any recon for the 07 yet.

But i've checked the nissan malaysia website, the new Z they are selling is VQ35DE. Im not sure whether they did not update the site or wat? Maybe u can try call them up and check.
Price for a brand new Z is RM390k.
wow.. 390k is way out of budget. guess i'll stick to older models :bawling:

nicole_nic

500 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
www.nic-o-le.blogspot.com
for me, i still have that tag below my seatbelt.. it says the manufacturing year is 2005.. normally, some car dealer will cut it out n tell u that it's a newer model.. the interior also has a slight difference between the old n new model.. as ppl had mentioned, the headlights n tail lights too.. my 2005 has LED tail lights.. the original one..

yewming

Known Member
Aug 24, 2008
for me, i still have that tag below my seatbelt.. it says the manufacturing year is 2005.. normally, some car dealer will cut it out n tell u that it's a newer model.. the interior also has a slight difference between the old n new model.. as ppl had mentioned, the headlights n tail lights too.. my 2005 has LED tail lights.. the original one..
thnx nicole. will look out for that too

thezed

Aug 18, 2008
hi there...

1. Basically for 03 - 06 models look the same, as for 07 in addition to what have been mentioned are buldging bonnet, redline rpm is above 7k, 5 spoke 18" wheel as standard and additional cup holder at the door panel.

2.Common problems: Power windows motor jammed based on my research.

3. Perhaps if u cld try this method: If you know any of the authorised Nissan spare parts dealer, they cld key in your chasis number and be able to see the actual year of manufacture.

All the best for your search....:driver:

yewming

Known Member
Aug 24, 2008
hi there...

1. Basically for 03 - 06 models look the same, as for 07 in addition to what have been mentioned are buldging bonnet, redline rpm is above 7k, 5 spoke 18" wheel as standard and additional cup holder at the door panel.

2.Common problems: Power windows motor jammed based on my research.

3. Perhaps if u cld try this method: If you know any of the authorised Nissan spare parts dealer, they cld key in your chasis number and be able to see the actual year of manufacture.

All the best for your search....:driver:
thanks. this is also very helpful :)

thezed

Aug 18, 2008
no worries bro, i believe by now, as the hire purchase rates are getting higher, they would definately offer you huge discounts and freebees, price would start from RM155k onwards for 2002 model.:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys.......need ur help a bit on where to find a 5 Speed gear box to be converted from a 4 Speed gear box? How much is da cost?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience