[WT Ask] About High CamShaft - FUNCTION?

szeeonn

Known Member
Jun 6, 2007
all sifu , whats da main function / purpose for high Camshaft ?

is it a NEED for Racing car ? for TURBO car ? gets more power ?

i wonder get more power = uses more fuel as well ?

thanks u

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Simple explanation.

Increase the opening duration so that more air can be vented into the combustion chamber and extract from the combustion chamber. There are different specs of highcams. And also, high cams for turbo and NA have different Cam profile.

Not necessary for a racing car only. It can be used for daily driven to improve performance. Necessary of not depends on what U expect to extract from you engine.

Get more power will definitely consume more fuel on top end. But not necessary when cruising when the load of the engine is minimum on a Close throttle position. There are 3++WHP engine that will cruise for 400-500KM with RM85 of RON97 fuel.

It all depends on how ur tuner when he/she tune the car and what management to use.

BTW, an engine durability does not affect by how much pressure u induced. It's about how many HP ur engine/crank/conrod/piston can take.

There are tons of stock VR4 engine that burst within 1.5bars. But there are also some VR4 with stock internals that I know personally running on 2bars for daily driven achieving 36+ WHP. No problem at all. It all depends on what management u use and of course a good tuner.

szeeonn

Known Member
Jun 6, 2007
speed2horizon , great explanation you have there
can i ask, is there a few type high cam in market ?
race cam ? street cam ?

i heard that would effect idling timing , is it ?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
speed2horizon , great explanation you have there
can i ask, is there a few type high cam in market ?
race cam ? street cam ?

i heard that would effect idling timing , is it ?
Yes, there are several type. In my shallow knowledge, I only know of 3. Conventional cast iron cams, billet cams and regrind.

Race cams or street cams. They are the same. Just different specification. Different duration will have different effective powerband. It depends on different individual in ability to accept it on street.

And yes, hicam will definitely affect the timing. Simple, ur lungs tries to expand to take more air, but u restrict ur nose opening. Effect is, u'll pull harder. In engine, ur duration is longer and valve lift is higher, but u remain close throttle, so engine feels like wanna stall. In order to prevent stalling, u allow more air by adjusting the idle valve. Result is higher idle rpm.

szeeonn

Known Member
Jun 6, 2007
pro giving pro reply ~
wish to ask u more about cam thing
and engine thing if u dun mind ^^

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Simple explanation.

Increase the opening duration so that more air can be vented into the combustion chamber and extract from the combustion chamber. There are different specs of highcams. And also, high cams for turbo and NA have different Cam profile.

Not necessary for a racing car only. It can be used for daily driven to improve performance. Necessary of not depends on what U expect to extract from you engine.

Get more power will definitely consume more fuel on top end. But not necessary when cruising when the load of the engine is minimum on a Close throttle position. There are 3++WHP engine that will cruise for 400-500KM with RM85 of RON97 fuel.

It all depends on how ur tuner when he/she tune the car and what management to use.

BTW, an engine durability does not affect by how much pressure u induced. It's about how many HP ur engine/crank/conrod/piston can take.

There are tons of stock VR4 engine that burst within 1.5bars. But there are also some VR4 with stock internals that I know personally running on 2bars for daily driven achieving 36+ WHP. No problem at all. It all depends on what management u use and of course a good tuner.
speed2horizon, you said there are different highcams for NA and turbo? Can you please explain what is the difference please? I thought it is the same as the function is just to allow higher duration and lift for top end power. Why NA and turbo need difference profile highcams?

I plan to have a Blacktop turbo in the next 5 years. Slowly... So I think it' be better to get some advice from you now. I want to use blacktop over the 16V or 4AFE because I do not want to lose the low-end torque and fuel economy when driving in city. Since you said NA and turbo got different highcam, does this mean that the stock high cam lobes on the blacktop cannot be used if I want to turbo it? Please advice... Thank you.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
speed2horizon, you said there are different highcams for NA and turbo? Can you please explain what is the difference please? I thought it is the same as the function is just to allow higher duration and lift for top end power. Why NA and turbo need difference profile highcams?

I plan to have a Blacktop turbo in the next 5 years. Slowly... So I think it' be better to get some advice from you now. I want to use blacktop over the 16V or 4AFE because I do not want to lose the low-end torque and fuel economy when driving in city. Since you said NA and turbo got different highcam, does this mean that the stock high cam lobes on the blacktop cannot be used if I want to turbo it? Please advice... Thank you.
This is what happened. BTDC setting, the NA cams have overlapping for the following purpose.
1) To cool down the pistons crown that's right after combustion.
2) To allow combustion chamber to achieve atmospheric pressure to allow free flow during the overlapping duration.

The higher duration the cams have, the higher overlapping occur....

For turbo cams, they doesn't have overlapping on stock. even for Evo. Reason is...
1) To prevent boost leak during the overlapping at low flow condition.

But when high boost, then u may allow some overlapping provided the turbo is able to produce the flow and pressure even if there's overlapping, then that's a good thing...

Too bad this thing will never happen during low boost condition. So, low boost will lose some pressure.

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
is best to use a high degree cams, the pair with the Haltech hehe
As long as it's tuned and set well... No specific brand of standalone.

But high cams for street use.. The question is always HOW HIGH??? If u gonna plonk in 308º CAMS as street use on heavy traffic roads like KL...

s4ph_xtuner

Jun 7, 2009
As long as it's tuned and set well... No specific brand of standalone.

But high cams for street use.. The question is always HOW HIGH??? If u gonna plonk in 308º CAMS as street use on heavy traffic roads like KL...
normally have to look at the settings and hardware compatibility of the vehicle itself to daily use ... much easier if there is good management and tuner

base on my experiance, please correct my statement if there is wrong

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
normally have to look at the settings and hardware compatibility of the vehicle itself to daily use ... much easier if there is good management and tuner

base on my experiance, please correct my statement if there is wrong
Hmm... Management wise, it's more for ISC, ICV, etc.... Cam correction setting... So that u'll have a better idle.

I'd say anythnig below 270 is nice for street.

jackisblack

Known Member
Nov 17, 2008
kuala lumpur
adf.ly
is best to use a high degree cams, the pair with the Haltech hehe

yes...yes....it's true.......hahahaha

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

if u want more power in ur engine,comfirm FC is much higher than stock..i'm no SIFU,but that is the rule..now i'm using 300deg cam with 11' lift..hoooliowwww...FC is bad and not street wise..but i'm stick with it..why??coz power lorr...great power gain more fuel..even u using haltech or motec or microtech..it still use the same rule..but all this managemnt help a lot la..anyway,can try watermethanol injection..i never tried it yet..but really want to..i have see the result for turbo car...for NA not yet..have been that it could help reduce FC..

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

if u want more power in ur engine,comfirm FC is much higher than stock..i'm no SIFU,but that is the rule..now i'm using 300deg cam with 11' lift..hoooliowwww...FC is bad and not street wise..but i'm stick with it..why??coz power lorr...great power gain more fuel..even u using haltech or motec or microtech..it still use the same rule..but all this managemnt help a lot la..anyway,can try watermethanol injection..i never tried it yet..but really want to..i have see the result for turbo car...for NA not yet..have been that it could help reduce FC..

s4ph_xtuner

Jun 7, 2009
Hmm... Management wise, it's more for ISC, ICV, etc.... Cam correction setting... So that u'll have a better idle.

I'd say anythnig below 270 is nice for street.
yup...that right bro...i agree that

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

yes...yes....it's true.......hahahaha

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

If interested, fc is used to michine ok ... the original power and satisfaction achieved

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Earlier today, BMW Group Malaysia introduced the BMW 1 Series M Coupé. If you're an avid //M fan, you'll probably already know that under the bonnet lies an in-line six cylinder engine witn BMW TwinTurbo technology - recently the recipient of the best-in-class award at the 2012 International Engine of the Year Awards. The blown 3.0-litre unit churns out 340bhp/450Nm from as low as 1,500rpm...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience