Known Member
Dec 13, 2010
Johor
1) Is it good to have an engine wash ?
2) How frequently should we wash our engine ? :confused:

Last edited:

fishbonezken

Feb 13, 2006
Washing an engine bay can vary from paying RM15 to have an operator at a car wash station to spray very strong degreaser on a hot engine and then pressure washing it to doing it yourself by patiently wrapping the alternator, wiring connectors, etc.

(A) The safest would be using a damp cloth and wipe it down, but this won't clean it in tight areas where the cloth won't reach.

(B) Next is to use the Detalien method of spraying some Alien Clean and brush it down with a detail brush and then rinsing it off with Alien No Rinse to neutralize the cleaner while the polymers in Alien No Rinse provide some mild protection to the cleaned surfaces. This method will get it clean without introducing too much water to the engine bay.

As documented by SuperDetailer:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/car-detailing-forums/417234-12-years-never-wash.html

and kc2:
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...otary-and-paint-correction-by-detailiens.html

(C)The next 'level of risk' would be to wash it by spraying cleaner and brushing it down, then rinsing off with a gentle flow of water from the hose (no pressure).
Documented here:
How to Detail your Engine Bay (Basic) | Wet Shine – Malaysia's Premier Auto Detailing Blog, Reviews, Tests, Details, Articles, Events

Which method you choose will depend on the age/type of engine you are working on. Method B is good and safe to be used on new or older engines. Method C is riskier but could be faster.

How often to wash?
If you wipe down your engine bay after each wash, you probably only need to wash it every 8-12 months.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
1) Is it good to have an engine wash ?
- if you're anal about the clean look, yes. For guides on how to, plenty of them around (like the above post by fishbonezken). Just make sure that you follow the guides from reputable detailers. But, just a personal suggestion before you start doing it (if you plan to DIY), learn and get to know parts and portion of your car's engine first and identify the risk areas. If you plan to send it outside...well...just make sure that the guy REALLY KNOW what he's doing.

2) How frequently should we wash our engine ?
- A clean engine is easier to clean than a dirty engine...if that make any sense...:smokin:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I am anal about my engine being clean :bawling:

Hadi17

Known Member
Dec 13, 2010
Johor
thank you for all your opinions :burnout:
Now that at least I know what to do when I have a car..

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
thank you for all your opinions :burnout:
Now that at least I know what to do when I have a car..
Actually all of us here forgot to mention the first and most important in engine detailing. That is get a car first. One with an engine.:burnout:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
If ask pomen's point of view, surely they say wash engine only when you wana confirm there's a leak or not hehe

for me, too scared to pay car wash ppl to wash my engine but too lazy to do it myself.... normally I just ask my pomen to wash it for me after service... but that meant leaving my car for 1 whole day because he'll only wash it when there's no more work to be done :rofl:

...well to each its own hehe

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If you're anal like fishbonez and Veloc, then you can go the hardcore of cleaning like how Fishbonez put it.

If you're an ass like me, this is what I do :

Leave car to completely cool (no heat at all) --> High pressure rinse--> soak in off-the-shelf engine degreaser--> scrub everything with RM5 Daiso brush--> high pressure rinse--> drip dry / blow dry everything. Start engine.

No need wrap anything or whatever la.. just don't go and jam the pressure hose right into anything specific and electric. Getting it wet won't kill it, getting pressure hosed for more than 10 seconds in one area will.

But that's me la. :biggrin: I bear no responsbility for any damages.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
as for me...
i juz use motul parts clean...
cuz i'm a super lazy type one lar...
ahkahkahakhakhkah
I never know Motul makes such things! Thank you!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all....,

can someone tell me where to do that carbon-like sticker job for my car bonnet? in klang valley area... hv any of u guys done this?

how much will it cost probably....?

thanx :shades_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience