Why racecar does not have ABS?..

vitrous

Known Member
Jun 18, 2005
Pahang
hello to all..
just starting this thread to fulfill my curiosity about car..
i, longtime ago, just read about how racecar did not have anti lock brake systems..i wonder, why ar/??

to all..can you discuss it here?..why?..

thanks..

regards..

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
cause with ABS you can't do fun things with your car.....like drifting

polyxtroy

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
Not really. ABS can be tuned to the point when to cut in. The thing is usually in race cars or race car drivers can ideally control their brake pressure with their foot to the point of the tyres grip. In such circumstances, having ABS is pointless & would just further adding complications to the braking system.

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Theoretically, ABS lenghtens your braking distance so in a race situation where every meter counts, ABS is not feasible. Besides, ABS adds up more weight to a race car so again, every KG counts.

However, in extreme cases like F1 racing, ABS is banned simply because it'll give an unfair advantage to the driver because it would mean the drivers would brake really really late and in some cases, brake thru the corner.

jambunk86

500 RPM
Jun 19, 2005
Kajang
ABS lenghtens braking distance?...i thot this kindda thing improves ur braking.now im talking about the normal situation of usage eh.not in the race car.but i think it is the same concept.if ABS lenghtens ur braking distance, then there's no point using ABS.

i dont know about F1 and so on.but u know those good simulator games...they have ABS on f1.it's just u switch it on and off.

polyxtroy

Known Member
Feb 18, 2004
ABS does not lengthen ur braking distance. It's just a device to take the brake control to some extent away from a driver when the front tyres run out of grip. Against which is better between an ABS and a race drivers foot is still yet to be proven. But for regular joes like us, whenever we have the sensation of our front wheels locking up in a crowded public highway. The lack of three letters like ABS will definitely squeeze me balls in a definitely unwelcome manner.

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
racer don't need abs cos of the weight saving n the "feel" thingy that they
want to maneuver a race car.they need feed back from the brake.just my
2 cent.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
- because u already has 3/4/5 point harness...
- because u have a bucket seat
- because u have rollcage
- because u wanna save weight

vitrous

Known Member
Jun 18, 2005
Pahang
does the ABS gain more weight to the car?..
the ABS device is really heavy ke?..
i did not know it..my putra have it..but it's size is just a thumb only...
or the ABS things have a device that really heavy? 10KG?...20 KG?...

by the way..thanks for info guys!

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
the whole ABS system consist of more than 1 thing. 1st you have the ABS module, then you have the relay, then you have the wiring harness and sensors, then you have the special wheel bearing for ABS.

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
ABS is consider as driver's aid in racing. Braking is also 1 of the skills in racing. Wif ABS a professional driver would know how to fully utilize it and it givs a lot of advantage to the driver. U can brake late and also brake in corners and ABS will do all the adjustment for u. If not mistaken i've read rules in some races where they say ABS is not allowed.

jambunk86

500 RPM
Jun 19, 2005
Kajang
haha!

skywalker really makes me laugh in the morning lor.

thanks! ABS does not lenghten ur braking distance.

ABS system actually have sensors running on ur all 4 wheel.that is like wheel speed sensor.if u see something like got teeth one on the driveshaft...that help the wheel speed sensor to sensor the speed.

then got the pressure modulator or regulator something i cant remember.this thing control the pressure of the braking fluid to each tyre.

then the brain of the ABS system...detacts the speed sensor and send msg to the pressure modulator thingy.

so when braking,if the wheel speed sensor detacts one wheel is slower then the others(maybe u r skiding)...the sensor will send a pulse to the ecu(ABS) and the ecu will control the pressure modulator to lower the pressure to that slower tyre untill all the wheel speed r the same.

this is what i understand...and the best i can explain to share at 5am in the morning.and plus my english s&*ks.

thanks to my teacher.hehe.

pimpin323

500 RPM
Oct 6, 2004
you cant install tcs/traction control if you aint got your abs sensors. so gimme your abs if you think you can go faster without them. then i'll overtake you at the corner. anyway f1/rally r running on tcs. what do you think all this evo got on their cars got dry/wet settings for? play play?

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We will be show casing this 3 months old Nissan Teana. Although it is not a special car but you would be shocked to find out that this is actually a 3 months old but yet looked like a year old car. Owned by a very well known fashion designer in Malaysia, she called us to save her ride from rotting to the ground.

From a distance the car looks like is in a good state but lacking some waxing. We...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience