Why are second hand cars in Malaysia so expensive?

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
in my observation cheap used car mostly only can be seen for cars more than 10 years due to lack of buying aid availability from banks, ah long etc..

20V Trumpeteer

Known Member
Jan 2, 2010
Kedah
Cheap car prices in Malaysia, or in South East Asia for that matter is still just a dream! The only way to enjoy cheap cars is just to migrate to other countries like Australia, Japan, Europe, or North America.
Yup bro...but those countries although offers cheap cars but it's not entirely true..for example, l've read in Majalah Kereta (TAS 2011 edition)in Japan, they said buying the car is not the prob, but the owning is very expensive...a full completion of driving licence could fetch equivalent to RM3000, parking fee is bout RM500-1000/mth..for the maintenance, the labour fee are more expensive than the cost of buying parts itself and the list goes on and on and on....but, u know la Japan, the salaries are already high, monthly earnings for normal workers easily can bring home 5 figures but the cost of living are keep chasing for their monies...:smokin:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Yup bro...but those countries although offers cheap cars but it's not entirely true..for example, l've read in Majalah Kereta (TAS 2011 edition)in Japan, they said buying the car is not the prob, but the owning is very expensive...a full completion of driving licence could fetch equivalent to RM3000, parking fee is bout RM500-1000/mth..for the maintenance, the labour fee are more expensive than the cost of buying parts itself and the list goes on and on and on....but, u know la Japan, the salaries are already high, monthly earnings for normal workers easily can bring home 5 figures but the cost of living are keep chasing for their monies...:smokin:

there's an old malay saying..

'Besar periuk nasinya, banyaklah keraknya'..

the more we earn, the more we spend

:biggrin:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
yup its true...buying a car might be cheap but maintaning them is costly..dun forget the insurance....quite expensive too compared to MY.

pandaB

Known Member
Feb 9, 2005
Speculations on teh market price to is also a factor, rite ? much like the case of this AD_EG's friend:

"hehehe...my friend bought a car for 40k..spent about rm5k on it...and sold it at 58k.cause so called "market" says thats the price...."

1996 1.6cc car (usually highly tuned, thus potentially highly molested n high mileage) priced at RM60k... go figure.

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
yup... in the end of the day..we can see a lot of factors taht involve when we are making justification on why our car prices are high. we start including economy, politics, cost of living etc etc etc. in the end? it comes down to one reason la bro's... the goverment.

to me, if there is no proton in the 1st place... i bealive car prices will be cheaper. how much cheaper ? i dont know....i just remember the good old days where my parents used to say, they were all able to afford fiat's, civics, toyota's, nissans, etc...with average income..

i already can see where this discussion is headed.

peace.

alantan350

Known Member
Apr 5, 2007
why malaysia car so expensive? just one word, tax. y tax so much? to protect one stupid car, which one is the stupid car? every malaysian know, y got AP? to protect who? who hold the most AP license? everybody know. vios how much in thailand? just saga price, accord 2.0 how much? below 100k in taiwan, prius how much? search the net only around 22k USD(below 70k ringgit).

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
New cars expensive because of the tax and ofcourse the protectionism policies to protect the local industry, that is somewhat.. understandable. However, secondhand cars expensive because owner perasan car got prestige and rarity and whatnot.

Bro. Willing seller, willing buyer.. it all depends on the general market.

Rarity plays an important part in not only used cars, but everything else as well. This issue is not new at all and to ask such question will open a whole can of worms.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Bro. Willing seller, willing buyer.. it all depends on the general market.

Rarity plays an important part in not only used cars, but everything else as well. This issue is not new at all and to ask such question will open a whole can of worms.
Rarity? What do you consider rare? Depends if you're saying if the car is rare, or its just rare in Malaysia. A Holden Monaro is probably rare in Malaysia, but its by no means a rare car. There are no real rare cars in Malaysia maybe with the exception of the collections belonging to our venerable Sultans.

The only reason a certain car is rare in Malaysia is simply because of the mighty AP. That's all. The owners of these "rare cars" in Malaysia justifies the price simply because their car has an AP in Malaysia and you probably can't import one on to our roads. Not their fault really, they are just making use of the flawed AP system for their benefit. Don't hate the playa hate the game.

mamatAE111

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
As long as people want to 'eksyen'/'lansi' with new cars, nothing is going to change. I only know one other guy in my office (beside myself) who is still holding on to their first car after 10 years of ownership... Everybody else already bought new car..

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
Rarity? What do you consider rare? Depends if you're saying if the car is rare, or its just rare in Malaysia. A Holden Monaro is probably rare in Malaysia, but its by no means a rare car. There are no real rare cars in Malaysia maybe with the exception of the collections belonging to our venerable Sultans.

The only reason a certain car is rare in Malaysia is simply because of the mighty AP. That's all. The owners of these "rare cars" in Malaysia justifies the price simply because their car has an AP in Malaysia and you probably can't import one on to our roads. Not their fault really, they are just making use of the flawed AP system for their benefit. Don't hate the playa hate the game.
Rarity can be defined in various ways. For example, it could mean a limited edition BNR34 M-Spec Nur is rare in the 'sea' of BNR34s on sale. Even without AP restrictions, it would be difficult to get the said model. So AP aside, rarity does add value to those in the know.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
in my observation cheap used car mostly only can be seen for cars more than 10 years due to lack of buying aid availability from banks, ah long etc..
Even those cars >10yrs old despite the price drop due to lack of loan are still selling with exorbitant prices compared to those other countries I mentioned before.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

As long as people want to 'eksyen'/'lansi' with new cars, nothing is going to change. I only know one other guy in my office (beside myself) who is still holding on to their first car after 10 years of ownership... Everybody else already bought new car..
I think this is also influenced by the lack of loan for cars that old. People are already selling their cars before reaching that age to avoid bigger price drop if potential buyers cannot get anymore loan.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

yup its true...buying a car might be cheap but maintaning them is costly..dun forget the insurance....quite expensive too compared to MY.
Quite true as well. Insurance in countries like in US can be very expensive depending on the type of car and the nature of the owner/driver. If the car is high performance one, higher premium, if the driver then is also a younger guy, then premium is higher still.

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
well picture tells 1000 words. Our national car are cheaper at Arab Saudi than Malaysia
37,950.00 SAR = 32,167.71 MYR

Last edited:

z34

Known Member
May 5, 2009
Not so true about cheap car, expensive maintenance in foreign country.

im a student in NZ. cars are cheap, maintenance also cheap. the only things that expensive is labor. well, unless you mod your car that needs lots of labor unit, then it will be costly. if you just drive the car as it is (stock) then you don't have to bear high maintenance cost.

in NZ, process to own a car is very simple, just fill the transfer form and pay NZD20 and the car is yours.
registration usually cost about not more than NZD500/year
warranty of fitness won't set you back more than NZD100/year
insurance? it's optional so the cost can be heavily reduced at this point.

for a student, it is very affordable. if I study in Malaysia, I will be better off take a bus.

my point is, not in all foreign country the statement of 'cheap car, expensive maintenance' is true.

thank you.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Mini has just released a short film that's rather reminiscent of a movie that hit the big screens in 1969 with Michael Caine and then remade again in 2003 with Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron as the main cast - It was none other than the movie "The Italian Job".

<!--more-->This round, it features the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience