Why a chicane could not be built.

XXX

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
Another good read "Why the chicane could not be built"

The chicane could never be built. And I am certain Michelin knew it.

If the chicane had been built, the FIA would be in an untenable legal position under US law. One mistake, one brake lockup, one tire deflation and it would be an accident for sure. Alternatively, no one knows how the chicane would effect the Bridgestone runners. One of them hits the wall on the way out of the chicane and all they need claim is that running slowly through that turn made the tire pressures lower because the tires were colder causing sideawall failure, and you have a court case.

The lawyer for the prosecution would only need to ask one question:

"Mr. Whiting, as Safety Delegate for the FIA, you are aware of the rules governing design, engineering, simulation, safety testing, and homologation of circuit changes. Were any of those rules followed in building this chicane?"

[Charlie Whiting] "umm... no"

Judgement for the plaintiff. Next case, Your Honor.

So the FIA could not allow the chicane. But could they run as a non-championship event? To protect themselves, legally, the FIA would be forced to withdraw their sanction of the event, at which point the IMS' insurance stops. They are insured for sanctioned events only. No sanction, no insurance.

IMS could not allow the event to go forward without it. The 120,000+ spectators in the stands and the infield, the track workers, safety officials, indeeed, even pit workers and paddock hangers-on such as Jenson Button's dad and Jean Todt's girlfriend were all risks for the track. One good accident and the track is lost, along with America's premier motorsport event, the Indy 500. So that option is out.

And how did Michelin know? They have a small army of liability lawyers on staff. Every accident that may involve a Michelin tire failure brings them swarming to prove "it's not our fault". Do you really believe the only communication between the track and Spartansburg, SC, was technical? The legal eagles were in on it, I am sure, or Michelin would be incredibly incompetent, more so than now. And I would bet the PR folks were involved, as well.

So call it the Great Michelin Misdirection. They came up with a bunch of ideas which they knew could never be accepted, then plead that they tried. They never mentioned that their ideas were legally untenable.

Sadly, many people have been fooled by this, including, it seems, Nigel Mansell and many forumites.

Also go here, its an interview with a lawyer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/lawinaction/ram/lawinaction_current.ram

Youll need real player and slide the indicator to about the 22nd minute and 20 seconds.

FYI this is not my article its a copy and paste job for your readin pleasure.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm having a problem with my car interior wiring such as the door indicator is not working and also the fuel indicator is not functioning.Anyone know where to find a good wireman in subang jaya?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience