which is the best boost controller from?

rinagi

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
K.L
sifus,

blitz/greddy/hks/other company?

i'm trying to get the best for my car. i heard dual soleniod boost controller are better in boost management. plz enlighten me

kuroneko

Nov 10, 2005
sifus,

blitz/greddy/hks/other company?

i'm trying to get the best for my car. i heard dual soleniod boost controller are better in boost management. plz enlighten me
I'm running a blitz DSBC spec R (dual solenoid) and it's great. Holds boost flat all the way to redline, no spikes. Easy to install, setup, and control. Doesn't take too long to figure out how to use it too :) The main advantage of running dual solenoid is for higher boost cars. Also supposedly has faster response between the time you put your foot down, and the time it tells your actuator what to do, but don't quote me on that.

Blitz got a newer model tho, the SBC i-D, which has a nice big screen with nice display. However, the scramble boost isn't so good apparently.

However, the Apexi AVC-R is also another highly regarded boost controller, that only utilises a big single solenoid. It takes a bit more time to set up right, but when done, it works good as gold. Nice big blue screen (bad or good thing?) Easy to control, has nice functions like RPM specific boost, scramble boost. Also can display other stuff like rpm, speed, tps, duty cycle, boost, and the thing I like about the apexi units is how they can record the peak boost and what not (well, all the EBC's can record peak...) However, the AVC-R in general is more expensive.

The Greddy profec B, I've heard many success stories on the net. But my local Jap tuner (regarded as the god of nissans in Auckland) says they have a problem with fluctuating. My friend has one on his S15, and says they are a bit tricky to setup, cause everything is done in percentages (although you can change it to point specific, but that's just as confusing :/ ). Best to setup on the dyno I reckon, save yourself the time. Also, the size of this actuator seems somewhat small... but I'm sure it works just as well as the other. This one seems to be the cheapest of the EBC's I looked at. Simple but effective perhaps?

The HKS one is REAL nice. Single solenoid, with the "stepping motor" technology. I think the new EVC5 just came out this year. The EVC4 is pretty good though. Nice display, bit tricky to install/setup (the dial is a bit annoying, gotta get used to it :/, and the buttons a bit small?) . My friend has one on his S14, and all his boost dyno graphs are so smooth, and never gives problems, no spikes/creeping, nothing unexpected (to be expected from HKS).
However... the price is not nice at all.... probably one of the most expensive ones out there.

Price (from cheapest to most exp)
Greddy Profec B
Blitz DSBC-R
Blitz i-D
Apexi AVC-R
HKS EVC4
HKS EVC5

I don't have experience with any other boost controller sorry :( I went with the Blitz DSBC-R in the end because of it's price, and the fact that it's simple to use. All of them have overboost protection (lower your boost when you hit a certain threshold), peak boost record, a few boost settings, and some sort of scramble boost. I also liked the fact that it's discrete and small, so people looking from outside can't see it easily, like the big display on AVC-R and EVC and i-D.

Err... I guess... it's really up to your budget, and preference as to which you like the look of. They all pretty much do the same thing, and have the reliability of Top quality Japanese made stuff.

Hope it helps bud,
Ryan

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

another
"believe it or not - ripley's" - KC detailing adventure tales

the heat of the day...sun .... nearly gave me a stroke & a sun burn too

This car was pronounce beyond repair or detail & was doomed for respraying work...instead of restoration work...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience