When Room Rentals Goes Wrong..Please Advise ZTH bros...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Bros and friends of ZTH, I would like to seek your advice on Room Rental procedures.

Usually, as far as I know, if u want to rent a room, you are require to pay a certain amount of deposit maybe example 2 months of rental Deposit and need to give 1 month notice before you move out.

So, I have encounter one problem which I do not really know what to do if the owner refuse to pay us back the full deposit.

The story goes like this, we have adi given 1 month notice and rental for this month has due, but all this while no matter whether u stay or not staying there for a month, water, electric and streamyx bill will be split among 4 rooms including the owner's room.

The owner is staying one of the rooms as well. So, as for this month, we have not stay there for the whole month liao and we find it fishy when the owner called and told us about the water, electric and streamyx bill cost.

It was much higher than usual whereby I have been staying there for years and this time is the highest cost for our room of shares. 2 rooms have shifted out and we did not stay for a month. I mean, is really unfair to us.

U r the only one staying and use all the electric, water, and streamyx. How can u split only between two of our rooms? The rest of the cost u shud bear it urself cuz is unfair that we did not stay and u charge us not according to our usual share of costs. I don't mind paying even If im not staying since it is the procedure but this time round is too much and very unfair to us. As a human and owner, we have been staying with u so many years. How can u be treating us like this? Where is your integrity as a person?

So, I suspect that she split the cost of the bills among 2 rooms. She said she will deduct the room rental and bills on our deposit that we paid. Can u imagine, no one is staying and we have to fork up 100+ for electric bill? or is just a terrible way that she settle the deposit that she have adi used and no money to pay us back the deposit?

The only thing I'm gonna do is ask her to show us the bills and calculate ourselves again. I'm just worried that no matter what we say or how we argue, she won't pay us back the right amount of deposit that we rightfully deserve back. I can't do anything if she refuse. What can I do? Bash her up? Break everything in the house and get in trouble?

No contract was signed during our agreement which was a mistake.

Please give some advice bro. Really headache. Going there to see her tonight. Please Help me...:banghead:

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
always need a contract bro....even for RM1 rental..like this hard to talk cuz all by word of mouth n verbal agreement..if someone dispute like this case is the owner...need to pamper her so she'll soften down n let in...show ur skills bro.. hehe

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
pity u bro. agreed with taikor PocketRocket. negotiation is important.
but ultimately, that lady holds the deposit, i bet she wants her way.
just a damage limitation for now, how low can she go?
good luck!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
PocketRocket:
Yalo, haih...regret didn't sign agreement. My skills arr...oklo try the soft pamper skills 1st lo...must put eye drops before I enter her condo la? lolz!

I mean, we even did the toilet washing lo...other rooms dun do at all and our rental was cheaper by RM20 for washing the toilet 2 weeks once...or maybe weekly sometimes...

We did so many things and stayed the longest period with her at least give some face a bit lo..or show some appreciation instead of trying to telan our deposit ma...

Actually I cant say much la but can help to persuade cuz I'm only asking on behalf of my gf and her friends...

es2611:
Yalo, dunno la...I think maybe able to get back half a month of deposit nia...or if lucky 1 month deposit lo...2 months deposit total I think almost RM500 leh...I can use that amount to buy performance parts leh :banghead:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
maybe the electricity and water bill should not be in your portion but streamyx wise I personally feel you need to pay it because it is applied because you are using it in the 1st place also. Imagine if A and B both agreed to apply streamyx together, package is RM 88 per month and RM 44 per person monthly. So does this mean that if B didn't stay there for one month, A have to bear all the RM 88 alone? not fair to A also, right? I am speaking from the both position, bro. No offense.

It is the same like your car. No matter today you use your car or not also you have to pay the road tax and insurance at the end of the day. You can't be saying to the G that "Hey, within 365 days, I just drive 300 days only. Why I have to pay the full 1 year amount and not just RM xxx / 300?". So even the car does not move, the road tax and insurance is still moving.

I am speaking in terms of the streamyx wise, not electricity and water bill.

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
yeehau86:
Yes, you got a point there bro. Streamyx wise still acceptable but the only Electric and Water bill was too pricey.

Will have to see what she say tonight after discussion. I adi expect she won't pay back and all this while she have been very cunning and calculative. I don't know how to explain how is it that she is cunning but there is something about her that she is not honest enough.

I even helped her on buying an internet modem back for her so that she can offer streamyx services for other ppl who is interested to rent a room. One day, the modem not working and I personally went to Puchong there to change for her leh...petrol no need money ka? yet went back three times in three days cuz couldn't be ready and troubleshooting. Brought back can't use again then request to change new one...go through and flow from Wangsa Maju to Puchong very far leh...

What I'm trying to say is that, be a bit fair to us or at least show some appreciation of what we have done for u. We kept your room clean, toilet clean and etcs. Not always lucky to find a good tenant.

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
The story goes like this, we have adi given 1 month notice and rental for this month has due, but all this while no matter whether u stay or not staying there for a month, water, electric and streamyx bill will be split among 4 rooms including the owner's room.
Bro,

Giving my opinion as viewer.
As you agreed on the terms before moving in. Irregardless whether you stay in or not, you should pay your half. Get the owner to show the bills for the month (water and electric, streamyx is fixed so there is no need for proof). Then split the total to 2 (it may sound unfair on your side, but at that time, only you and the owner were the "valid" living-in people in the house as you mentioned that the other 2 rooms occupants have already moved out) and just get back what you have left. If she insists, you can either get nasty and get into trouble or just tell off the owner. A few hundred bucks may be hard to earn back, but its not worth getting into trouble for that. Karma will hit the owner back.

All the best nonetheless!

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
agreed with bro maverick.
bro any chance to see those bills? go through the bills first.. maybe back dated.
ur rental consist of those bills or separate?

be detailed on these..u might end up saving some and buy ur performance parts.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
m a v [3] r i c k;4259846 said:
Bro,

Giving my opinion as viewer.
As you agreed on the terms before moving in. Irregardless whether you stay in or not, you should pay your half. Get the owner to show the bills for the month (water and electric, streamyx is fixed so there is no need for proof). Then split the total to 2 (it may sound unfair on your side, but at that time, only you and the owner were the "valid" living-in people in the house as you mentioned that the other 2 rooms occupants have already moved out) and just get back what you have left. If she insists, you can either get nasty and get into trouble or just tell off the owner. A few hundred bucks may be hard to earn back, but its not worth getting into trouble for that. Karma will hit the owner back.

All the best nonetheless!
Thanks for the tips bro, come to think of it, you are right. Maybe I was blinded by frustration I guess. Just as long as it is split fairly, I'll accept it then. Ya, not worth to cause big trouble for few hundreds. Hope I'll get back the fair amount of deposit.

Thanks once again!

agreed with bro maverick.
bro any chance to see those bills? go through the bills first.. maybe back dated.
ur rental consist of those bills or separate?

be detailed on these..u might end up saving some and buy ur performance parts.
Yes, will be asking the owner to show me the bills. My rental are fix so I should be able to separate out the extra amount which it is the cost of those bills.

Thanks! Will update u guys.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Last month bills this month pay, sometimes after 2 months. If you are confirmed that you do not need to take responsibility for the utilities bills, then can do things like below:

1. Tell the owner that you have log a police report and if she refuse to refund back, YOU ALL will sue her. (if she really does, then you only do whatever necessary).

2. If money is not what you concern, then you can make her spend double of what you are losing by doing something like ah long after 3 months you moved out.

3. The best is ask her why need to charge the electricity bill while you are not using it. If she said should divide by the rooms, then you can ask her to refund every single cent of the rental for so long because the room should pay her and not you. If she talk kok, then ask her to go to the police station together and log police report.

I suspect she had tempered the electricity supply meter that's why not consume also jalan and maintain a steady run on the counter regardless how much being used. But you have to make sure that what info you provide here is right. If you never use it, then you should not pay. But if you used it, then should be splat among yourselves.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Last month bills this month pay, sometimes after 2 months. If you are confirmed that you do not need to take responsibility for the utilities bills, then can do things like below:

1. Tell the owner that you have log a police report and if she refuse to refund back, YOU ALL will sue her. (if she really does, then you only do whatever necessary).

2. If money is not what you concern, then you can make her spend double of what you are losing by doing something like ah long after 3 months you moved out.

3. The best is ask her why need to charge the electricity bill while you are not using it. If she said should divide by the rooms, then you can ask her to refund every single cent of the rental for so long because the room should pay her and not you. If she talk kok, then ask her to go to the police station together and log police report.

I suspect she had tempered the electricity supply meter that's why not consume also jalan and maintain a steady run on the counter regardless how much being used. But you have to make sure that what info you provide here is right. If you never use it, then you should not pay. But if you used it, then should be splat among yourselves.
Thanks bro for useful info and tips. Really never thought of that about tempering with the electricity supply meter. Ya, but no agreement was signed when we moved in. So, is hard to sue her even if I want to.

2 people share a room and the bills will be split among my gf and her friend since they are the only tenant left. So is around RM55+ per person. Well, before we moved in, we were told whether we stay or not electric and water bills will still be split among rooms and we have agreed but the cost has never been this high and the reason why the other 2 rooms moved out was I guess the bills was too high and one of them did ask us before how come the bills can be this high? We don't even know why. They have been paying cuz is not really costly that time but is like knowing we are going to move out that's charged us slightly higher. :banghead:

Water and electricity no matter how, is obviously overcharged but what can I do, no signed agreement. So, to avoid any hassle and also rushing in time, what the heck, let her have it lo...what goes around comes around geh...she will get back what she is doing to us. RM115 for water and electricity bill. I dunno what kind of water they are using in a month living in a condo and not house.

Maybe mob the floor 10 times a day and bathe 5 times a day and wash toilet 3 times a day. Flush 40 times a day and etcs that doesn't make any sense. Should have warn the one moving in :banghead:

Electricity, 3 rooms no electricity was used and only 3 of them in the house living in the room and only livingroom. Livingroom TV also rosak and room got 1 TV nia. So, Electricity and water can really use that much?

Only 1 daughter at home, Monday - Sunday house owner, the wife work till at night around 10pm only reach home. Husband only work from Monday – Friday until at night only come home since he is a security guard. So, siapa guna water and electricity? Hantu ka?

So, nvm lar suan la. Lazy to argue or cause any trouble over 50 bucks. Well, anyway it is settled.

Thanks for all the advise and tips from all of u :adore:. Will take this as a lesson to signed an agreement in future :hmmmm:

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
good to hear bro. rm50 u cannot buy a performance parts leh. even servicing pun cannot.
cheers bro!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
:biggrin: HAHA! Ya, I got back RM550 deposit la. :beer: RM50 no point arguing la. If losing up to RM200+ maybe have to bising a bit adi...

Thanks for your advice bro es2611! :adore:

Cheers :beer:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>

Car specifications isn't available, just some spy shots here to fill your day. Happy '(00)ing...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience