V-Power Vroomm.....

digitalcom

Known Member
Oct 15, 2005
Universal
do anyone is a here shell V-power regular user? i planning to give a try on this V-Power but... i heard that this kind of petrol will give side effect if u stop using it. izzit true?

i need some info about this petrol from those really know well about it. thx

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Why would there be any side effects? Petrol is not like lubes whereby once you start using for instance, fully synthetic lube you shouldn't downgrade and use minerals. I've pumped V Power a couple of times and switch back to regular without any sort of problems. I did that on a 13 year old Sentra and also on a CRV and i can't seem to feel anything that would go wrong.

Frankly, i really don't feel the extra push of V Power. I suppose there's a difference between regular and V Power, its just that the difference is quite minimal. Its more of a case of psychological effect that amplifies its power and makes you feel the car goes significantly faster.

digitalcom

Known Member
Oct 15, 2005
Universal
icic...
thx for ur info...

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
v-power is more expensive, but this is what i've noticed...

With RM50 of regular ron 97 i get +-500 km....
With RM50 V-power (less in terms of litres, coz more expensive per litre) i also get +-500 km...
(car:city idsi)
And, no... in no way its gonna effect ur engine if you switch the petrols...

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Maybe its the fact that your car accelerates faster thats why you're not so heavy on your throttle, which results in a slightly better fuel consumption.

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
hmmm... yeah, could be...

other theories are V-power is a more efficient fuel or some say its of a higher octance. Higher octance fuels give more milage....

but i really dunno... it was just an observation i made...

LoneWolf81

Known Member
Jun 28, 2005
Puchong
Ya, if compare with same quantity of fuel, V-power actually let you go further.
For me, RM35 of Super can go about 260km - 280km, RM35 of V-power can reach 300km.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
basically for me. its the same as wat minivan stated. i pump rm50 of vpower i get to go the same mileage as rm50 of normal petrol. so why pump normal petrol? :) pump v-power more yeng :P and most importantly, it gives me the same mileage as regular petrol. and i think it shud have cleaner burn.

Coltrain

Known Member
Oct 16, 2005
i got try V-power before in my car....but it seem no different than the normal shell petrol....same mileage same power...
but one thing is,i try in my motorbike...i can fell the different between V-power and Shell Normal petrol...V-power got more power,example using normal shell my bike top-speed is 140km/h,using V-power can went up till 150++km/h....
weird rite ?i also dont know y pump in car that time no different...

oh yah,anyone try before others brand of petrol ?like Caltex,petrolnas etc....??
i try used caltex before,ur car better respone compare using shell.
petrolnas less respone,but better mileage than shell and caltex.
Shell is average between this 2 brand ,somemore Shell Station more easy to find compare other 2 brand...just my 2cent

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
To me, all petrol brands are more/less the same. There are differences, but too small for me to really bother. I pump Shell because i collect Bonuslink points... that my determining factor... :biggrin:

Kelis

Known Member
Jul 5, 2004
Penang
minivan said:

other theories are V-power is a more efficient fuel or some say its of a higher octance. Higher octance fuels give more milage....

I agree with what minivan is saying here. I tried Shell V - Power on my car before, personally, I feel that the response is better now compared to when I was using the normal Shell petrol. As for the mileage, well, I think it is as effiecient if not better than the normal Shell petrol.

So... Go for it, try it out, no harm done.

Just my 2 cents... :) :)

Kopi

500 RPM
May 18, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
there's one thing that amazes me..

when my car is using Petronas fuel, morning startup really nice. Water vapour comes out from the exhaust like engine brand new... got water dripping from exhaust summore. (That's for non-standard tuned engine)

when using shell V-Power/Regular - not so vaporising as petronas fuel did. And my engine a bit noisy...

few years already with the car, i think last year I used Caltex and felt consumption pretty high... ESSO never. ProJet - I think my cousin filled it with Projet's.... didn't really notice.

all in all,... mileagewise no difference, still getting the same 70km per RM10, only engine sound. Response also the same... except when I decided to mix a 50ml of pure alcohol (cd cleaner) into the tank after filled it with RM5... SUPER!! (dont try this at home!)

omnikron

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
minivan said:

guys, V-Power is still only RON97, the octane level is the same as any other super unleaded petrol be it BP, Caltex, Esso etc.

i used to believe that V-Power was RON 98 also, until i emailed Shell and they confirmed that V-Power is RON 97. so V-Power is super unleaded with better additives.

AccordRacing

2,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2005
kepong
www.zhapalang.com.my
i have try b4,personally think when using it the acceleration is more smooth n faster,but shorter mileage,like half compare with normal shell petrol

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
ok.... thanx for the info/clarification... :smile:

omnikron said:
guys, V-Power is still only RON97, the octane level is the same as any other super unleaded petrol be it BP, Caltex, Esso etc.

i used to believe that V-Power was RON 98 also, until i emailed Shell and they confirmed that V-Power is RON 97. so V-Power is super unleaded with better additives.

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
You guys should watch Fifth Gear. There's this one episode where they did a test using an identical car with 3 different petrol. Normal unleaded, Shell Optimax (I guess should be the same as V Power?) and BP Ultimate (most expensive 98 octane petrol). What they did was fill the car up with a specified amount of fuel and they dyno the car (yup, dynoed it). Result? For an ordinary family saloon, there isn't much difference at all amongst all the petrol. Then they did the same test using a high performance car and immediately the difference is more obvious, the more expensive petrol giving a marked improvement in horsepower and torque.

I'm not making this up, go and download this seasons Fifth Gear. Should be one of the latest episodes.

artraider

Known Member
Aug 15, 2005
Shah Alam
so.. if shell V-Power is also RON-97.
where can get RON-98 in malaysia? how many ringgits per liter?

between other brand.. i prefer petronas n shell for my car.
but now mostly use SHELL. dunno bout u guys, maybe it's just my mind trick. but i think shell does give a better mileage. never run a control test tho. just normal daily driving observation :)

-just a piece of my mind-

Dremel

1,000 RPM
Nov 19, 2003
Ampng Nrdschlff
Visit site
Watch this clip, it will give you the idea on how the advantage of these special fuel could or couldn't affect the performance of your car.
A few test have been conducted on different kind of advanced formula fuels and normal fuel being as reference.

download here

It's the same video which has been said by silverfish

omnikron

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
si|verfish said:
You guys should watch Fifth Gear. There's this one episode where they did a test using an identical car with 3 different petrol. Normal unleaded, Shell Optimax (I guess should be the same as V Power?) and BP Ultimate (most expensive 98 octane petrol). What they did was fill the car up with a specified amount of fuel and they dyno the car (yup, dynoed it). Result? For an ordinary family saloon, there isn't much difference at all amongst all the petrol. Then they did the same test using a high performance car and immediately the difference is more obvious, the more expensive petrol giving a marked improvement in horsepower and torque.

I'm not making this up, go and download this seasons Fifth Gear. Should be one of the latest episodes.

once again Shell Optimax is available in UK, it is RON98 but it is different from V-Power because V-Power is RON 97. and BP ultimate is also RON 97.

a lot of high performance cars have "smart" ECUs where they detect better fuel. hence produce better power.

http://lancerregister.com/showthread.php?threadid=81292&highlight=BP+ultimate BP ultimate is 97, not RON 98.

Last edited: