What to do if buy second car from direct owner

dkny

Known Member
Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I never bought any car from direct owner,I bought all my car (like 5 times) all new direct from showroom.
Just want to know what need to do, when u purchase second hand from direct owner, and what need to take caution.
1. How to change car owner name?
2. How to secure both buyer and seller.
a) Load only applicable from 80~85% for second hand car, so need to pay 15~20% deposit to seller.
How to secure buyer being cheated.
b) Normally seller deliver car to buyer after received bank load ?

3. JPJ puspakom ? Buyer or seller do ?
4. Other thing need to do?

Sorry being noob, as I really had no ideas what step need to done. Hope some experience guys could explain to me.

REALLY THANKS

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
I can help to shade some lights for this..

These process can take up to weeks if not followed up properly. Most of the time, it is based on trust and agreement between seller and buyer. Below is the fastest method to get the car.... less than 1 week. :)

1, upon agreeing to purchase, Usually you need to pay a deposit to the Seller. Any amount from RM 50 - 5000. RM 500-1k is the norm.
2, Get the photostated Car Registration paper, Insurance card of the car. Also good to know where the original Registration card is if it is still under loan
3, Go get bank loan. (I go directly to the loan department's head in banks. Faster and can nego good rates... IF your credits are good)
4, Upon loan approval. The bank usually will call in BOTH party. now, there are 2 scenarios here.
A) Car is under loan. Bank will call both party in ... Downpayment paid to THE BANK. Bank will clear his loan and release balance payment(if any) to SELLER.
B) Car is not under loan. Bank will take your Downpayment while process your 80-85% loan. Bank will release all payment to the SELLER when your loan is approved.
5, At this point, Seller and you can write a letter in handwriting and simple to say that he pass the car to you.
6, You bring the car and documents to Puspakom and do the HIRE PURCHASE & 2nd Hand Car Inspection
7, Once done, get the documents back to the bank... Bank will do the JPJ paperwork for you. (at a small fee.. RM10) And give you a photo copy of your updated registration card
8, DONE...

My experience just a few months ago this process takes only 3 days.

dkny

Known Member
Jul 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the information. But one thing I don't understand, from point 4,5,6.
1. When Bank approved the load, u have to agree and sign the agreement load in order to accept it(before seller give you the car for inspection).
- What happen if the car found illegal, accident(which not told by seller), blacklisted ... etc? Since you already pay the down payment and sign the bank load agreement ?

2. I thought seller will do the inspection at JPJ and pass the document to bank ?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello sifus,
recently i replaced my car timing belt & water pump & coolant. But after driving@cruising for a while the check engine light(CEL) comes on and stay around 5-20 seconds then goes off. after a while the CEL will comes on again. i dont really notice the weird perfomance during the CEL on...what could be the cause? the mechanic did not install timing belt correctly? timing off?..or maybe some sensors? sensor fault during timing belt replacement? maybe mechanic broke any sensor...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience