what is chassis/body strengthening?

audiolizard

Known Member
Aug 19, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
i saw the thread topic of these things. what are body strenghten?
means old chassis like 15 years above cars the metals are become weak so go strenghten the chassis to make it solid back or what?

tankspeed

From Facebook
Dec 22, 2009
Yup. To prevent the chassis flexing and twisting about One is actual chassis strengthening by I think putting plates on body panels if im not wrong. The other is getting strut bar, lower arm bar, anti roll bar etc.

xbalance2002

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
yes reduce chassis flex but will it increase welding point more weak? as the chassis is very old

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Nope, welding is welding as long as it doesnt get rusty...
There are daaaamn many ways to strengthen your chassis! Depends on what car and how badly you need to strengthen it :biggrin:

audiolizard

Known Member
Aug 19, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
so u mean like removing old panel and replace a new 1 into it or just add so metal plate to harden it? any moe specific details?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
1 is by adding bars..at the front back and undercarriage...fenders...go to ultra racing website to see possible bars available.

another one is spot welding...they re-weld the welding points on your car..to strengthen it.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
so u mean like removing old panel and replace a new 1 into it or just add so metal plate to harden it? any moe specific details?
Ill try and explain all yeah...

1. If the panel is SO rusted until theres a hole = Must replace the panel completely, take a piece of sheet metal and re-weld on. Usually this is very rare unless youre restoring some kind of classic car of some sort...

2. Spot welding. Imagine 1 piece of metal which is 3cm long, every 3cm they weld 2 pieces of metal together. So in between of the 3cm, that part can flex right? Spot welding welds in that middle part to make the 'flex area' smaller. Then after the spot welding the part that can flex is only 1.5cm etc. etc.

3. Bracing. Imagine your arm + a piece of metal bolted to it. Sure kuat right? :biggrin:

4. Chassis foaming. My own Nissan has been foamed, basically they just inject this foam thingy into the hollow sections of the cars chassis like the a-pillars (windscreen pillar) and so on. When it hardens it becomes like cement but light, so it strengthens it from the inside... Try imagine your hand being the car, and pretend your bones are hollow. The foam makes the INSIDE solid while the bracing makes the OUTSIDE stiff :biggrin:

And thats what chassis strengthening is! How you want to do it is totally up to you... :rolleyes:

audiolizard

Known Member
Aug 19, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Ill try and explain all yeah...

1. If the panel is SO rusted until theres a hole = Must replace the panel completely, take a piece of sheet metal and re-weld on. Usually this is very rare unless youre restoring some kind of classic car of some sort...

2. Spot welding. Imagine 1 piece of metal which is 3cm long, every 3cm they weld 2 pieces of metal together. So in between of the 3cm, that part can flex right? Spot welding welds in that middle part to make the 'flex area' smaller. Then after the spot welding the part that can flex is only 1.5cm etc. etc.

3. Bracing. Imagine your arm + a piece of metal bolted to it. Sure kuat right? :biggrin:

4. Chassis foaming. My own Nissan has been foamed, basically they just inject this foam thingy into the hollow sections of the cars chassis like the a-pillars (windscreen pillar) and so on. When it hardens it becomes like cement but light, so it strengthens it from the inside... Try imagine your hand being the car, and pretend your bones are hollow. The foam makes the INSIDE solid while the bracing makes the OUTSIDE stiff :biggrin:

And thats what chassis strengthening is! How you want to do it is totally up to you... :rolleyes:
hmm,i see, number 2nd i get it already thx, bout answer number 4, u mean they inject some thing like liquid all around the car and wait it dry to harden? i still dun understand la.. aiyo.:banghead:

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
just wan to ask if like accident car wat can i do to help in the handling and strengthening as my car is old !!!!!!

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
93na, your cars like mine :biggrin:

I kena langgar by a Jeep Cherokee (American monster!) which had the metal bullbar infront, I suggest autofoam!

Autofoam is like a foam when they inject into the hollow parts of the chassis, its liquid when injected but when it hardens, it becomes like cement. The best part of it is, it doesnt have ,much weight. 1 full car is around 2-3 kg tops...

The only downside is the price. Quite mahal when I did it but they charged me MPV pricing since my cars a wagon :rofl:

93na

500 RPM
Mar 9, 2009
93na, your cars like mine :biggrin:

I kena langgar by a Jeep Cherokee (American monster!) which had the metal bullbar infront, I suggest autofoam!

Autofoam is like a foam when they inject into the hollow parts of the chassis, its liquid when injected but when it hardens, it becomes like cement. The best part of it is, it doesnt have ,much weight. 1 full car is around 2-3 kg tops...

The only downside is the price. Quite mahal when I did it but they charged me MPV pricing since my cars a wagon :rofl:
bro how much it zit!!!! heard bout it!!!!! though of doin double stich like satria r3 not full but at some placs!!!!

tankspeed

From Facebook
Dec 22, 2009
Ive seen a R33 GT-R with the same foaming thing, pretty cool, keps the clean look without the roll-bars.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
bro how much it zit!!!! heard bout it!!!!! though of doin double stich like satria r3 not full but at some placs!!!!
Its not welding u know... Its a foam :biggrin:

http://www.autofoam.com.my/autofoam/

Check out their website, it cost around RM2K++ for my car because it has extra window pillars... For normal sedan + hatchback should be 1k+ only :rolleyes:

http://www.autofoam.com.my/autofoam/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23&Itemid=73

These are where you can foam. I went for the track one since its already so expensive and im going to do this 1 off, might as well get my moneys worth haha.

Last edited:

Darth Evillus

Known Member
Jan 16, 2019
After the penang bridge news
I think I need to do something like this d. Scary news

Anyway any good place in Penang or klang Valley?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
After the penang bridge news
I think I need to do something like this d. Scary news

Anyway any good place in Penang or klang Valley?
Chassis bars price is very much std with most shop.

This is just my personal opinion based on that freak accident;
1.public road is not meant for racing.
2.Everyday car is not meant to be driven like in the incident.

Even with complete bars and good rubbers it wont guarantee anything. Your car will handle better but there are just too many other variable at play on public road with not much margin for error.

Reactions: Izso

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all the sifu out there....I need some suggestion, I have 2 engines on my mind now...either 4G91 DOHC or 1.6 V6 for my saga...

I need some comments and advice on which engine is better in performance and which engine is more reliable....

Can all the sifu give me some comments cause I really dont know which 1 is better...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience