What happened to our hobby??

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
I used to have those Dash Yonkuro during younger days & won several competition with my heavily modded cars....doesn't look like original cars anymore & running on liquid coolant engine...enough of those days I don't want to restart again even though I can smell the fever is in the air :afraid:

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Another thing, do you guys feel awkward seeing a late 30s guy riding a bmx? performing freestyle stunt in front of their kids?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I used to have those Dash Yonkuro during younger days & won several competition with my heavily modded cars....doesn't look like original cars anymore & running on liquid coolant engine...enough of those days I don't want to restart again even though I can smell the fever is in the air :afraid:

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Another thing, do you guys feel awkward seeing a late 30s guy riding a bmx? performing freestyle stunt in front of their kids?
You should have come and have a look at today's Mini 4WD race. Now they are mostly dominated by the Malays and their car is seriously very fast. I'm not sure how it works but they have a method of modding their motors into making it faster. They call it 'break in'. I know they did it with a device that uses high voltage to run the motor when it is new. According to them, it somehow affects the carbon brush inside the motor and cause it to reach higher rpm than stock. But they say lifespan of the motor will be affected after that.

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
You should have come and have a look at today's Mini 4WD race. Now they are mostly dominated by the Malays and their car is seriously very fast. I'm not sure how it works but they have a method of modding their motors into making it faster. They call it 'break in'. I know they did it with a device that uses high voltage to run the motor when it is new. According to them, it somehow affects the carbon brush inside the motor and cause it to reach higher rpm than stock. But they say lifespan of the motor will be affected after that.
We used to change the magnet & the coil inside the motor up to extent some ppl put piping through the motor to cool it & prolong motor lifespan....and used to be dominated by chinese boys last time while we watch them from outside of track :bawling:

Enough with current hobby i dont want to add another one :burnout:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
We used to change the magnet & the coil inside the motor up to extent some ppl put piping through the motor to cool it & prolong motor lifespan....and used to be dominated by chinese boys last time while we watch them from outside of track :bawling:

Enough with current hobby i dont want to add another one :burnout:
Now I think the rules stated that it is not legal to enter competition if you open up the motor. Yeah, I've before of the way you mention, changing magnet and coil. Now I don't see much chinese playing, maybe most are playing video games instead. I'm one of the few chinese playing now. But I haven't play for two months already. Difficult to play :biggrin:

A picture of my race car. I think it looks slightly weird... Using mid engine configuration with double shaft motor...

Attachments

Last edited:

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
Oh I see can't do that anymore eh? nice car setup...nowadays lots of CF parts while back in the days were colorful alloys incl. rim & tires :biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Oh I see can't do that anymore eh? nice car setup...nowadays lots of CF parts while back in the days were colorful alloys incl. rim & tires :biggrin:
Yeah, now CF is the popular mod for these. One piece of these CF bumpers cost approximately RM35-RM50...

Although my car looks like a nice setup, but it can't really perform that well on jumping sections at the track. Almost every track had several jump sections which is difficult because you need to have stability during jump and also during landing. :banghead: I remember they rarely have jump sections last time...

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
Yeah, now CF is the popular mod for these. One piece of these CF bumpers cost approximately RM35-RM50...

Although my car looks like a nice setup, but it can't really perform that well on jumping sections at the track. Almost every track had several jump sections which is difficult because you need to have stability during jump and also during landing. :banghead: I remember they rarely have jump sections last time...
For that jumping section we used to add additional support bearing at back & front of the car so its like the car running on 6 tires :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Nope, as long as he can still do it, why not? That is skill.....:driver:
Ok sounds legit...due to shyness I bought a fat bike actually rather than BMX but after hearing ur thoughts feels like want to get a BMX pulak now :hmmmm:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Now I think the rules stated that it is not legal to enter competition if you open up the motor. Yeah, I've before of the way you mention, changing magnet and coil. Now I don't see much chinese playing, maybe most are playing video games instead. I'm one of the few chinese playing now. But I haven't play for two months already. Difficult to play :biggrin:

A picture of my race car. I think it looks slightly weird... Using mid engine configuration with double shaft motor...

Do you measure the pot speed of your car?
I saw Tamiya has their own ""speed" dyno for car enthusiasts, to clock the running speed. Very sophisticated, I say...

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

Do you measure the top speed of your car?
I saw Tamiya has their own ""speed" dyno for car enthusiasts, to clock the running speed. Very sophisticated, I say...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
kid time ride BMX bicycle motor-cross.
Then teenager time, ride BMW (bas mini wilayah)
Then become big boss....Drive BMW...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
BMX bikes.. I used to have one, damn thing had brakes and all. The when I got older I got the stunt BMX which had no brakes and had rear standing pedals. The seats were removable and stopping was purely skill. Awesome bike.

Then I sucked into Tamiya car races, experimented with foam tyres and slicks, modified hyperdash motors and that 'break in method' we did it the old school way. Use those bigass batteries with high output to run in the motor. "Charged" the motor before every race. Then races got boring and started to go tyre less to drift around places like skateboard pipes and slides. Pity back then video wasn't available as easily as it is now. Would've made some interesting videos. Back then those Tamiyas were RM15-18 only. Now they are so insanely expensive!!

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
BMX bikes.. I used to have one, damn thing had brakes and all. The when I got older I got the stunt BMX which had no brakes and had rear standing pedals. The seats were removable and stopping was purely skill. Awesome bike.

Then I sucked into Tamiya car races, experimented with foam tyres and slicks, modified hyperdash motors and that 'break in method' we did it the old school way. Use those bigass batteries with high output to run in the motor. "Charged" the motor before every race. Then races got boring and started to go tyre less to drift around places like skateboard pipes and slides. Pity back then video wasn't available as easily as it is now. Would've made some interesting videos. Back then those Tamiyas were RM15-18 only. Now they are so insanely expensive!!
Now got video, so if you still have your Tamiya, can still do the shoot....:driver:

issuzark

500 RPM
Sep 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

I thought all bikes have brakes. Except the stunt one.

That being said Chris, when did you buy Tamiya RM 15-18? :confused:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
The prices of tamiya goods went up sky high once popularity soared....
The cartoon show featuring boys racing tamiya made the prices steeper.

Just like AE86.
Before Initial-D, 4age, engine parts, LSD axles were treated like normal priced japanese used car parts. Nothing unusual about it then.
But now, a halfcut 4Age engine cost 4k, and some even more...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., unveiled the all-new 10th generation Corolla sedan at a press conference today at the 2007 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show.

"Nearly 40 years after the Corolla was introduced to American drivers, the 2009 Corolla will continue to offer the quality and value for which the brand has long been known," said Tim Morrison, Toyota Division...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience