Weird Engine

turbo85

Nov 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi,

I have a 10 year old Toyota Corolla. Have been driving for few years.

Recently, when I drive, the engine keeps dying especially after starting up in the morning. This happens also when the car is idling in the middle of the road such as waiting for traffic light, the engine light will just lit and die off. However, this issue is not so prominent after the engine has warmed up, that is after restarting the engine for few times and driving on the road for sometime.

May I know what are the problems? Could you all please help to troubleshoot for me? Hopefully I will get back my problem-free Corolla again :bawling:

Thanks,
turbo85

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
Cold start actuator/ sensor need cleaning. Send to workshop for full throttle/ intake clean up.

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
what engine you are running? as others said, try clean the tb 1st, check also fuel filter n also spark plug

if after died still can start definately not alternator edi.....if alternator kong, once died...it mean died...can only start via push or jump start

turbo85

Nov 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for all the feedback. I am using the original engine of Corolla AE111, 4A something. By the way, huakenny, what is tb?

Yea, some ppl also recommend me to change the fuel filter n spark plug first..because they are among the cheapest components that we can try out first.

Some other ppl also think about other causes below, been hearing so many bit and pieces here and there, could you pls help to justify and eliminate? :viking:

1. distributor?
2. "electronic board" near the dashboard?
3. idler solenoid?
4. spark plug?
5. fuel filter?
6. alternator?
7. ECU?

Battery is brand new, starter just refurbished, so these two are quite imopossible.

Thanks

Jan 22, 2007
Kota Kinabalu
if u wanted to buy all of the above items that u stated above,...u might throw some cash to buy each of it...y not pinjam some of the item from your friend first?spark plug and fuel filter can buy first..if the item num 1,2,3,6, and 7 can pinjam yr friend first then confirm know the cause is bcoz of the item the buy lor,,,,,hhehee my opinion la....:driver:

ipul_AE111

Feb 5, 2008
Petaling Jaya
hey bro...i suggest u clean up ur TB 1st
ur engine is A/T 4afe right..i've oso kena liow last time with my old 4afe.
cost around RM50 only. hope it can solve ur problem
good luck.. btw TB is trotel body (broken spelling la sorry..)

turbo85

Nov 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Is cleaning tb = overhaul? :rolleyes:

So, the plan goes like this:

First, go for
1. TB cleaning

if fails, go for
2. Change spark plug

if fails, go for
3. Change fuel filter and pray hard :adore:

if fails, go for
4....:bawling:

Hopefully i can solve the car problem within RM100 :dong:

ipul_AE111

Feb 5, 2008
Petaling Jaya
Is cleaning tb = overhaul? :rolleyes:

So, the plan goes like this:

First, go for
1. TB cleaning

if fails, go for
2. Change spark plug

if fails, go for
3. Change fuel filter and pray hard :adore:

if fails, go for
4....:bawling:

Hopefully i can solve the car problem within RM100 :dong:
no la, not overhol, juz servis the TB. send to any workshop n ask for servis TB. the foreman will know de. its juz cleaning the intake part using caburator spray. correct me if i'm wrong o all sifu2..
juz know as my expirience.

try it 1st, if fail oso, mayb ur ignition part problem. like distributor or spark plug.
for ur 4th is change to twincam 20 lor :biggrin:

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
original engine so its 4A-FE. Try to change your distributor cap.. not that expensive rm100 can get already .. maybe the internal terminals worn out already .. when its cold, the metal terminal still not expand yet and therefore connection gap far abit .. easy to misfire and stall the engine .. when its hot ... vice versa la primary school science .. :)

turbo85

Nov 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I have changed the spark plugs, and apparently the problem is not solved.

Well, the mechanic insists on its the distributor which will cost me around RM400-500 which is way different from xMika estimation at ~RM100. I doubt him a lot :rolleyes:

I asked him to proceed on others parts first like fuel filter and clean TB before conclude to distributor. I dont want to change the unnecessaries.

turbo85

Nov 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all,

latest update. after changing spark plugs, fuel filter and clean TB. the mechanic said my car still suffers the same problem, darn d..

any suggestion what should i do? send to toyota corolla service centre to check again?

rgds, turbo85

Kitos

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
TB = throttle body lo
When engine check llight comes on it usually is related to part with sensor. This usually is very easy to fix since the check light will have the error code. Next time when the check light come on then send direct to your workshop to get them determine what's the error code so that will tell you what part actually is causing the problem. However don't quote me that will definetely fix your car issue as they may be other parts that can caused the issue but main thing is fix the part that cause the check light as that will definetely affect your car as it's will be required for your ECU to work on getting your car to drive right. Good luck.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My kancil just convert to L2s. Everything is good except the brakes. When i am driving with the aircond is on the brake dun really "makan" but when i off the air cond the brake working very well. Anyone know why it happen and how to solve the problem ? I have changed few brake pump but the problem is still there...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience