watercooled turbo is a must?

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
How many of you here runs turbo with both watercooled and oil cooled? Mine was just cooled by oil and my freinds told me its a big no no. watercooled needed as well

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
it does not matter wheather u use air or water or oil to cooler your turbo lubricating oil as long as you are able to keep your lube-oil temperature within the working temperature of the lube-oil.

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
my workshop's customers runs turbos that are both oil-lubricated and water-cooled without water cooling. so far so good. not a single case of failure yet. example are td04 on L200 and td05h on other non-mitsu engine.

in blackhowling's case, most probably he's running turbos which are only oil-cooled. most racing(aftermarket) turbos are like that.

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
blackhowling bro,
Happy new year bro. long time nvr hear frm u in the forum. pls correct me if im wrong. Issit mostly big turbo (anything after T3) doesnt really need watercooled anymore?

Kippo bro,
This lead me thought of another thing. Lets say should i have watercooled my turbo as well, does it help in more stablizing my oil temp or even might reduce my oil temp abit since coolant already helping out to cool out the turbo? Less turbo heat, less oil heat?

Khoyos bro,
The info i found out was due to larger turbo spool up times was less frequent as small turbo that more freq boosting up due to it smaller size hence larger turbo doesnt really need the watercooled. Not sure how true it is though but it does make abit sense

koren

Known Member
Oct 27, 2004
mine is watercooled.. this brings up the water temp.. and might not bring down the oil temp significantly.. as oil and watertemp will hit ard the same temperature..

koren

Known Member
Oct 27, 2004
mine is watercooled.. this brings up the water temp.. and might not bring down the oil temp significantly.. as oil and watertemp will hit ard the same temperature.. 10 deg lower for my water..

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
normality78 said:
blackhowling bro,
Happy new year bro. long time nvr hear frm u in the forum. pls correct me if im wrong. Issit mostly big turbo (anything after T3) doesnt really need watercooled anymore?

Kippo bro,
This lead me thought of another thing. Lets say should i have watercooled my turbo as well, does it help in more stablizing my oil temp or even might reduce my oil temp abit since coolant already helping out to cool out the turbo? Less turbo heat, less oil heat?

Khoyos bro,
The info i found out was due to larger turbo spool up times was less frequent as small turbo that more freq boosting up due to it smaller size hence larger turbo doesnt really need the watercooled. Not sure how true it is though but it does make abit sense
i don't really get your question here. You are saying that your turbo lube-oil is water-cooled and you have coolant on which side of the turbo?

anyway in general, if you can remove as much heat so as to maintain the lube-oil temperature with its working temperature, you should be safe. What ever means of removing the heat i.e. cooling will do.
Oil-cooler is better in performance since the oil loses heat directly to the cooling air while for water-cooler, the oil loses heat to cooling water and that cooling water loses the heat it picked up to the cooling air.

but if you do not have any issues with high temperature then adding more coolers is not economical.

Larger turbo will generate more heat since you have more energy flow i.e. more air flow which means more combustion which means more heat generated. It has little to do with spool up frequency.

140dB

Known Member
Mar 27, 2005
johor
im so kiasu, i went all the way.

oil lube and water cooled turbo, inter cooler, oil cooler.

even that im still over heating my radiator during long hard runs...gotta look for that custom copper radiator guy liao.....

i dunno about ur oil to air or oil to water heat transfer theory, but what i know for a fact is that water is the best agent to transfer heat...

ur turbo can be subjected to temps as high as 400-500C daily. so u make ur own decision.

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
Was it water-cooled used on small turbo only??? Water wasn't a good cooling agent anyway, it will boiled up immediately, which is contrast to oil-cooled.....

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
Kippo bro,
what i mean is, for now, my turbo as per normal was using engine oil to cool it. But i did not hook up the waterjack which means purely runing on oil cooled now. No, i doesnt have any oil cooler.

so i was curious. If now i go and hook up the waterjack on my turbo, which will use my radiator water to cool the turbo as well rite? If so, would it possible that ow my water temp will go higher since its sharing the heat load that all the while my oil is bearing? Would it possible that my oil will less heat since water is sharing partially of the heat?

alvin24

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
My bolt on turbo on my 4G91 last time was only oil cooled... didn't bother to water cool it as well... doesn't make a significant difference... probobly a lil' better maybe. =Þ

Most aftermarket turbos are only oil cooled anywayz.

MY mech's theory... if u make it water cooled as well... u're adding more parts that are able to 'leak' your radiator coolant. hehehe... keep things simple can di... as long as everything's still working fine.

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
140dB said:
i dunno about ur oil to air or oil to water heat transfer theory, but what i know for a fact is that water is the best agent to transfer heat...
you are right that water is better as heat transfer agent because its thermal conductivity is higher that oil. But it is not suitable to be used in high temperature application due to its limited physical properties as explained by Lennon.
However, using water as 'in-between' cooling agent reduces overall efficiency of your cooling system. You go through two steps of heat transfer mechanism and this will always be inferior to direct cooling.

Kippo

Known Member
Mar 5, 2005
normality78 said:
Kippo bro,
so i was curious. If now i go and hook up the waterjack on my turbo, which will use my radiator water to cool the turbo as well rite? If so, would it possible that ow my water temp will go higher since its sharing the heat load that all the while my oil is bearing? Would it possible that my oil will less heat since water is sharing partially of the heat?
It will depend how much capacity margin that you have on your radiator. There is a possibility that the cooled water temperature will be higher. In turn, your engine may be slightly warmer since the engine cooling water jacket is getting slightly warmer cooling water. It is your turbo that will be cooler but at the expense of your engine. But you can improve it by using bigger capacity radiator but only if your current radiator does not have that extra capacity margin.

If there is no issue of high temperature, it is not worth the extra money to spend. Why cool your turbo a lot than required if there is no benefit?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

sifu² ..

i got the source from http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfInstallation/5.pdf

my problems is .. how to setting up up correctly ..

from the attachment it's mention;

1) When the A/F reaches over 10.0, n it will flash red.

2) When the A/F goes under 20.0 n it will flash green.

what does it mean .. over 10 is 20 .. rite and under 20 is 10 .. hmm confusing laa .. help .. help :frown:

what the symtoms may have if it dun setting...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience