Was planning to get either a R34 or Z33

jcmuffins

Oct 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Just wanting to get some information from the sifu sifu here for these two cars. To be used as a daily driver.

1. How's the consumption for both the cars?
2. Which would be less problematic in the long run. like maintenance and stuff?
3. Which is easier to mod? :P

Any replies would be appreciated! Thanks and Happy CNY!

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
R34 has several flavours. Most are turbocharged while the Z33 is normally aspirated.

So the R34 may return higher fuel consumption (but it varies greatly and depends on how u drive).

As long as the cars (both R34 and Z33) are maintained well, maintenance should be bearable. But this of course depends on ur affordability lah. Some might say a RM300 oil change is expensive while others might say it is very affordable.

R34 with turbocharged RB engines are easier to mod for more power. Z33 is, although normally aspirated, has bigger capacity engine so it has a large torque to start with. Z33 has linear power delivery and does not have the turbo-kick found in the R34 (obviously).

If ur looking at an R34 with RB25, the roadtax is less than 1k (around 800+?) while an RB26 engine is only around 1k. Compare that with the larger engined Z33 which costs around RM4k annually.

Personally, if u want to make it a daily driver and can stomach the roadtax I'd get the Z33 in automatic gearbox.

If for a weekend car, the R34 makes a good one. Get the GT-T if u want to drift (since it's RWD) of the GT-R if u want all round power and handling.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
thats absolutely very true...

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
oh yes....be sure to check out the roadtax rate for both R34 and Z33, coz west malaysia price is very high compare east.

R34 = man favorite
Z33 = woman favorite

for FC, i guess it would be about the same since the R34 is 2500cc/2600cc turbo while Z33 is 3500cc NA.

R34 considered 4 seaters i guess, Z33 2seater

for engine oil/trans/axle fluid maintenance..price about the same. myself is using fully syn by lucas

Last edited:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
I've owned both at the same time but only kept one of them - the R34GTR. However, that isn't to say that the Z33 is rubbish. Instead it all depends on what you want from the car.

Are you after something you are able to drive daily without hassle in traffic jams, dealing with stop-start driving on your way to work while having enough power to have a little bit of fun from time to time yet still be practical enough to let your wife/mother/sister drive it down to the shops (supposing you bought the automatic or even the manual for that matter) then go for the Z33. You have a huge amount of parts available both looks and performance to select from and you don't necessarily have to go for Japanese brands as the Americans have also explored the limits of the Z33 and with it came improvements and upgrades.

On a day to day basis, I'd say the Z33 is cheaper to run as the fuel consumption would be better than an R34GTR however when it comes to renewing your roadtax each year you'd end up losing all that fuel savings. Having said that, the car is newer and probably cheaper to purchase but the downside is that the market is somewhat more saturated with Z33s for sale. Open any issue of Motor Trader or On The Road and you'd find more of the Z33s for sale than you would BNR34s. Of course, nearly all BNR34s would have to be bought with cash or ridiculous financing.

The Z33 is impractical if you're into golf, have a family or need to carry more than one passenger as there are no rear seats, the glovebox is behind the passenger seat and the boot is so tiny I once bought Logitech Z5500 speakers from Digital Mall and couldn't get the box into the boot - I had to return the next day in another car to collect them.

In stock form both would be equally reliable. You'd be lucky to find totally stock examples of either however the BNR34s would on average come with more mods done to them. Anyway, go test drive at least a couple examples of both the BNR34 and the Z33 only then will you know which 'fits' best.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The 2011 Shell FuelSave Challenge continues on following the crowning of the Selangor state winner, Lee Chee Koon, during the second leg of the challenge that saw the public relations practitioner clock 26.6km on one liter of fuel.

Lee managed to clock the winning mileage on a 110km stretch of road with Shell FuelSave 95 fuel to put himself in the running to win RM50,000 in the grand finals that will be...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience